Join Early Retirement Today

Do I take the job?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do I take the job?

Am looking to retire in 3-4 years time. The job market in the Boston area for technology professionals is HOT. Do I stay at my present non profit company where I’m well respected but are tired of continually moving from assignment to assignment once I get the work headed in the right direction, and aren’t too crazy about recent top down organization changes OR do I jump to another MegaCorp for 20-30% more pay and bank it all?
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycling View Post
Am looking to retire in 3-4 years time. The job market in the Boston area for technology professionals is HOT. Do I stay at my present non profit company where I’m well respected but are tired of continually moving from assignment to assignment once I get the work headed in the right direction, and aren’t too crazy about recent top down organization changes OR do I jump to another MegaCorp for 20-30% more pay and bank it all?

Jump!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

Find the right fit and jump! Unless you are giving up a big pension. Yeah, right...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

Is 20% to 30 % going to make a big difference for 3-4 years?

You gotta make the call, but that green grass over there is some times an illusion. More hassle, more travel, more BS.
Do I take the job?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #5

Do I take the job?

There are probably 50 variables that go into such an analysis, which is more complexity than Internet strangers can help with reliably. Quality of my supervisor is enormous for me, commute hassle, whether taking the job gives me more options than the current one, what is best for my marriage, budget problems at the current org or there, resources to do the work expected, normal work day or 24/7 tethered and on call, etc, etc, etc. Salary is somewhere on that complicated list but not tops for me. I once turned down a chance to double my salary, because my wife didn’t want me on the road all the time. She was right and an inner voice told me that shiny object would have turned to lead in no time.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

I'll go with CardsFan - stay put.

You have seniority where you are. You're respected and don't have to prove anything to anyone. You know your job and responsibilities. If you jump, you will be starting at square one, bottom of the totem pole, and during the honeymoon period, you'll be going above and beyond to prove yourself. You're going to be working harder and likely putting in more hours. That's what your first 6 to 12 months is going to be like.

Only you can decide, but don't just look at it as 20% to 30% more money (maybe really 15% to 25% after taxes), there are other aspects to it.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #7

Sounds like the current job is not as "fun" anymore with assignments or management. If a new job provides new fun, new technology, and new personal challenge, I would go with switching. The +20 - 30% is nice, but you probably don't need it, but they probably have deeper pockets to reward a job well done. It can fund a crazy purchase or extra annual trip.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Yes Jump.
After all, in 2 years you may find another company offering another 30% jump.
While the market is hot, the risk is lower that you will jump and then they suddenly lay everyone off.
It will be harder, but doing new things is exciting, besides won't you be disappointed if you stay and your non-profit management decides to lay you off.

However, as someone mentioned, don't jump if it kills your pension (if any).
Old 01-06-2019, 04:39 AM   #9

There will be some risks in changing, but you do not have a lot of time to go anyway.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have the energy ‘in the bank’ to make such a change at this point, knowing what your ultimate next step is going to be?
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
...tired of continually moving from assignment to assignment once I get the work headed in the right direction, and aren’t too crazy about recent top down organization changes
The above highlighted two points happen everywhere, no matter what the hiring manager tells you, and will happen again everywhere over 3-4 years.

Quote:
my present non profit company where I’m well respected
Now that point? That doesn't happen everywhere, and chances are you won't get that feeling again being at a new place with only 3-4 years. Leaving that for 20-30%, into a potentially sluggish economy, assuming you're already over 40 and it's in IT?...nope I'd stay put and find ways to not let the org stuff get to you.

ETA: You wrote this 3 weeks ago:
Quote:
I did it 10 years ago, gave up that high paying demanding, stressful job. I enjoy what I do now but I love being home in the evening, not working weekends, not traveling. Best decision yet.
You are not going to have evenings and weekends free in a new hot IT role, and you very likely will have travel.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #12

Investigate all aspects of the job being offered, including the work environment.

If the market is hot, you can look around for a job with higher pay, that suits your preferences.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

At this stage of your career, only you will know whether it's worth while to jump.

I am 4 years away from finishing my engineering work, and I am not looking to change even if some other co offers to double my compensation. I still get unsolicited calls and mails from recruiters though I haven't got any active resume since 10 years ago. And I was a jumpy person as I worked for 9 company during the past 22 years.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Since you don't have an offer, I'd say it sounds like a good time to test your skills toolbox on the market. Your experience may be a good fit with one of the hot companies.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
The above highlighted two points happen everywhere, no matter what the hiring manager tells you, and will happen again everywhere over 3-4 years.

Now that point? That doesn't happen everywhere, and chances are you won't get that feeling again being at a new place with only 3-4 years. Leaving that for 20-30%, into a potentially sluggish economy, assuming you're already over 40 and it's in IT?...nope I'd stay put and find ways to not let the org stuff get to you.

ETA: You wrote this 3 weeks ago:

You are not going to have evenings and weekends free in a new hot IT role, and you very likely will have travel.

Yes, true. I think I’m just bored now after years in the slow lane. What this non profit considers high pressure and challenging isn’t really, and they give me their so called high visibility assignments.

I’m thinking I need something fresh and new. I don’t know. Maybe I need to find a non work passion for 3-4 more years?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Since you don't have an offer, I'd say it sounds like a good time to test your skills toolbox on the market. Your experience may be a good fit with one of the hot companies.

No pension haha - I wish
Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Is 20% to 30 % going to make a big difference for 3-4 years?

You gotta make the call, but that green grass over there is some times an illusion. More hassle, more travel, more BS.

20-30% doesn’t make a difference in the big scheme. It may be that one big splurge though.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
There are probably 50 variables that go into such an analysis, which is more complexity than Internet strangers can help with reliably. Quality of my supervisor is enormous for me, commute hassle, whether taking the job gives me more options than the current one, what is best for my marriage, budget problems at the current org or there, resources to do the work expected, normal work day or 24/7 tethered and on call, etc, etc, etc. Salary is somewhere on that complicated list but not tops for me. I once turned down a chance to double my salary, because my wife didn’t want me on the road all the time. She was right and an inner voice told me that shiny object would have turned to lead in no time.

I loved what I did for 9 years before they reorganized. I had a great management team, cool technology. This past year they reorganized to central groups, it’s meh. There’s not enough skilled staff that do what I do so they keep moving me from one ‘rescue’ assignment to another. It takes tremendous energy to learn and get up to speed quickly. Just when the tough part is done and the project is over that hump, off I go to the next thing instead of staying with it for a half year or longer to completion.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you get a 33% raise, you could retire in 3 yrs instead of 4 !
Old 01-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If you get a 33% raise, you could retire in 3 yrs instead of 4 !
Not if the portfolio is say 10x salary and he's counting on the extra year of growth.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote