Join Early Retirement Today

Do Mutual Funds Distribute Losses
Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do Mutual Funds Distribute Losses

Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund is significantly changing it's investment objectives and strategies as well as fund managers. We have owned this fund for several years and have a sizeable unrealized long-term capital loss. So, I'm thinking that as the fund realigns its investments to match it's new objectives the fund will realize losses. Will these losses be distributed to investors similar to how capital gains get distributed?

Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, losses are not distributed by mutual funds. They are kept and used to offset future gains.

If you have a large loss you would like to realize, you need to sell the fund. You can buy it back after 30 days if you want to keep the investment for the long term.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No, think about it. When they distribute gains they give you money... in cash or more chares if the cash is reinvested. In order to "distribute" losses they would need for you to send them a check... I don't see that happening.

Your best bet is to sell, realize the loss and then use it to harvest gains on your winners tax-free or to offset ordinary income for up to $3,000 a year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No, think about it. When they distribute gains they give you money... in cash or more chares if the cash is reinvested. In order to "distribute" losses they would for you to send they a check... I don't see that happening.

Your best bet is to sell, realize the loss and then use it to harvest gains on your winners tax-free or to offset ordinary income for up to $3,000 a year.
+1

Hehehe.

A co-w*rker fat fingered a distribution percentage on a stock distribution. The checks were mailed before anyone knew about the error. Sweet lady but she goofed, big time. Megacorp was on the hook for her loss.

Her punishment was to hand write letters to each shareholder explaining what she did and asked them to please send XYZ dollars to repay. Yeah it's hard to get money back.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everybody. That makes a lot of sense.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

. Yeah it's hard to get money back.
Very true. I took a distribution from my 401K, and they told me I took too much, please send a check. My answer- "NO".
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Iím in the same boat as OP with this fund. Just to be clear, I can offset up to $3,000/yr against all income (stock gains AND ordinary income) or offset complete loss against winners and up to $3,000/yr for ordinary income.

If itís the former, Iíll be writing off $3,000/yr for the rest of my long life
Old 08-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestatime View Post
Iím in the same boat as OP with this fund. Just to be clear, I can offset up to $3,000/yr against all income (stock gains AND ordinary income) or offset complete loss against winners and up to $3,000/yr for ordinary income.

Sort of.

First you net your STCL and STCG against each other and your LTCL and LTCG against each other. Then, you net your ST against your LT. Third, if there is still a loss at this point, you can offset up to $3K against OI. Fourth, if there is still a loss at that point, you can carry it forward until you die; then the remaining loss is extinguished.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

Hehehe.

A co-w*rker fat fingered a distribution percentage on a stock distribution. The checks were mailed before anyone knew about the error. Sweet lady but she goofed, big time. Megacorp was on the hook for her loss.

Her punishment was to hand write letters to each shareholder explaining what she did and asked them to please send XYZ dollars to repay. Yeah it's hard to get money back.

If they have regular distributions it is not as hard as you might think.... when I was trustee for a bond that had overpaid (not my fault, I found the error) we just went to DTC and said give us back the money... they took it from the brokers and sent a check.... now, the people who owned their own bonds outright we did send a letter asking for that money back and as you can expect got no responses... BUT, they did not get another check until we had collected the full amount that was overpaid... took 18 months IIRC... anybody who bought the shares bought it with that liability...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestatime View Post

Essentially- yes, any capital losses can be offset gains any capital gains. The $3K per year limit applies to ordinary income only.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Sort of.

First you net your STCL and STCG against each other and your LTCL and LTCG against each other. Then, you net your ST against your LT. Third, if there is still a loss at this point, you can offset up to $3K against OI. Fourth, if there is still a loss at that point, you can carry it forward until you die; then the remaining loss is extinguished.

Thank you, SecondCor.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Essentially- yes, any capital losses can be offset gains any capital gains. The $3K per year limit applies to ordinary income only.

Thank you, Audreyh