Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #121
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Come visit me, but as a cheapskate, you probably wouldn't. I retired at 35 and am 38 now, so far so good. I had to come to Eastern Europe to pull it off. If I was still in the USA, I'd be workin' for sure.
And you would not get to party during "white nights" (I was in Tallinn two weeks ago )...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm totally different in real-life than on-line. I'm brazen in the real world.
We just want to know what you've done to Cube_Rat...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We just want to know what you've done to Cube_Rat...
Old 07-04-2010, 03:29 AM   #124
Administrator

DW's uncle died yesterday making it 5 of that generation in the last 9 months including my father and both her parents. It got us talking about retirement and it is interesting that all but 2 of that generation, retired early compared to their parents (our grandparents). My Dad had 2 brothers, and my mother 3 sisters. DW's mother had a brother and 2 sisters and her father had 1 brother and 1 sister.

Of them all, one couple RE'd at 55, all of the rest, bar 2, RE'd at 60 which was at least 5 years earlier than any of our grandparents.

We RE'd this year at 55 & 54, and DW's sister and BIL RE'd 3 years ago at age 55. The rest of our siblings are all younger than us but most have plans to retire in their 50's if possible.

I had posted earlier on this thread about the folks I personally know who had RE'd in their 50's but I forgot about our family members who have achieved this. All these folks are in England and all had private and/or public pensions plus no health insurance to worry about, and I wonder if the generation below us will be able to retire in their 50's as those of them that are working are all in the private sector and few if any of them have pensions.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This looks like a good poll topic. If you are retired, when did you quit?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Do you mean what year, or at what age?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
There is a problem with defined retired for active but unpaid "retirees" who continue their professional work. I just got invited to co-organize an international conference on emergency risk regulation in Paris. It's a lot of work a lot of fun but not paid. Is that retired or not?

I was awarded Professor Emeritus status at the age of 56. I made a deal with the University to teach two courses a year, continue my international research and provide ethics lectures. Since in 1975-76 I taught two courses a year while working full time in a judicial clerkship I felt I had "retired" from my full time gig. The grant writing and administrative part of the Professorial career is the soul killer, but I love the teaching and research. However if my courses don't get enough students I won't get paid for the courses. So far no problem.

So I'm sort of semi-retired, or running a small teaching business, or retired but with a part time job, or retired but doing volunteer work.

Yes I know all the jokes about Professor X retired...How could they tell?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
I just got invited to co-organize an international conference on emergency risk regulation in Paris.
Just curious - now that phone booths have all but totally disappeared, where do you change?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To put a different spin on the question. I retired much too late.At 59.5. Fortunately in enough time to appreciate the leisure for a good bit of time.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was awarded Professor Emeritus status at the age of 56.
I'm beginning to understand why.

You have a nice life now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

I think people should stop assuming Emeritus is making it all up. As an academic myself, I know quite a few senior academics who do all the type of things he is describing. Heck, I've even done some of those things myself....like organizing an international conference. And some of the academics I know have a large ego, too.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I think people should stop assuming Emeritus is making it all up. As an academic myself, I know quite a few senior academics who do all the type of things he is describing. Heck, I've even done some of those things myself....like organizing an international conference. And some of the academics I know have a large ego, too.
I don't care if he's making it up or it is completely accurate. Constant boasting of how "special" he is leads me to believe he's far from it - and compensating for his feeling of inadequacy.

No charge for my diagnosis.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I've been invited to a birthday party...does that count?

Otherwise....

Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
All the successful research university academics I know have substantial egos. Like all artists, you sign every piece of work you do. You do everything in public and submit it to the world and posterity for critique. Unlike an actor you can't lay off any of the blame for failure on anyone else. But I'm a very minor player compared to some I've met.

I was a junior academic at a conference at a university. Not a hotel, no help with the luggage. Elderly gentleman got out of a cab. I carried his suitcase up the three flights into his room, next to mine . I said Hi and gave him my name and he said Hi, I'm Gene Wigner....

As Wiki describes Eugene Wigner:

"He received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1963 "for his contributions to the theory of the atomic nucleus and the elementary particles, particularly through the discovery and application of fundamental symmetry principles". Some contemporaries referred to Wigner as the Silent Genius and some even considered him the intellectual equal to Albert Einstein, though without his prominence....

Some of us don't even "stand on the shoulders of giants" but we do get to stand next them and learn
Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just curious - now that phone booths have all but totally disappeared, where do you change?
Dumpsters are good.

Ha
Old 07-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I dunno, what does "retired" means? I'd be shocked if we had a consensus...

Can you have a paid activity and still call yourself retired? Can you call yourself retired if your spouse is still working? What about early-semi-retirement, true retirement or oxymoron? It would be like opening a can of worms...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All the successful research university academics I know have substantial egos.
Some of the most humble people I have ever met have been giants in their respective fields, as genuine "research university academics". They don't have an axe to grind or anything to prove (especially those who essentially founded their field of endeavor).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Rule number 7.4a, paragraph 3 from the Academic Retirement Handbook:
No one will be as impressed with your accomplishments as you are.

I'm afraid we academics live in a world driven by external recognition, self-aggrandizement and constant competition for funding sources. We climb a peer-review promotion process which is highly competitive. It can bring about (or self-select for) some unpleasant traits. In this case, I think the Professor misjudged his audience, which is neither impressed nor intimidated by the accomplishments he chooses to share.

Been there, done that, and came to learn how artificial and bloated much of the pomp and circumstance is (along with some good stuff, to, be sure). Bravo for whatever one does to make the world a little better, but much of the nonacademic world is more interested in more mundane accomplishments, like what you're like to be around.

Like Meadbh, I don't doubt the accomplishments. I just don't care that much about them in the context of this board. It's kind of like introducing yourself here as one of the nation's top annuity salesman.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Well said, Rich.
Closed Thread