Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What percentage of precious metal and mining do you hold?
None 19 42.22%
less than 2% physical metal 8 17.78%
2-5% physical metal 3 6.67%
5-10% physical metal 3 6.67%
more than 10% physical metal 0 0%
less than 2% precious metals mining 3 6.67%
2-5% precious metals mining 8 17.78%
5-10% precious metals mining 2 4.44%
more than 10% precious metals mining 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Do you allocate precious metals and mining stocks?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you allocate precious metals and mining stocks?

With the massive beat down of precious metals and associated mining stocks, I have finally been able to allocate a small portion of my portfolio to precious metals equities (mining stocks). I am curious how many here hold precious metals or associated mining stocks in their portfolios.

I am looking for specific investments in precious metals. Do not include equities included in general index funds.

{Edit: You can vote more than one option in case you invest in physical metal and mining equities.)
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to have some mining stocks (fsagx) as a temporary allocation to hedge this bear market, but I sold it at a reasonable gain. It's down far enough and the prospects for inflation seem high enough to make it worth a look again. My two concerns are that it seems like mostly an investment vehicle without a lot of real world basis, and the entire globe will probably see inflation so that we may not see any relative to other currencies. I used to have a financials fund as well, so that might compete for the slot as well.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #3

I own no metal and have whatever mining stocks are already in my stock market index funds - I have no idea what % that might be.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, I am aiming for 2.5% in mining equities (5% of my equity portfolio). I currently have 1.5%. I have some more to buy.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
My two concerns are that it seems like mostly an investment vehicle without a lot of real world basis, and the entire globe will probably see inflation so that we may not see any relative to other currencies.
While this seems to me to be true for owning physical gold, it does not seem to be true for owning mining stocks, which actually earn money, grown, and pay dividends. I do not think I would ever own physical gold unless I felt the need to invest a very, very small percentage (0.1% maybe) as insurance for an EOTWAWKI scenario (BTW, I do not think this is going to happen). I do currently own about $1000 (was $2000 about 60 days ago) in pre-65 silver coins, but only because I never bothered to sell them after I inherited them from my grandmother. I guess when the bottom really drops I can trade them for ammunition and cat meat .
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My target allocation is 4% in GDX. It's lower than that, to put it mildly.

But in 2000-2002, the miners more than doubled while techs were imploding.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I own physical gold and silver. I also used to own 2 Prudent funds (BEARX and PSAFX) that invested heavily in gold mining stocks. The first one was to hedge against market declines, and the second was a USD inflation hedge. I sold both earlier this year. I might get back into PSAFX in a little while, but as an inflation hedge I am looking at VIPSX right now.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I might get back into PSAFX in a little while, but as an inflation hedge I am looking at VIPSX right now.
To me, a hedge has to make up for the losses that you are hedging. VIPSX will simply not loose value to inflation, as I understand it. It is not going to make you "real" money. Am I wrong?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

With VIPSX you earn inflation + a little extra (well right now, a very attractive extra). I don't know if I should call it an hedge per se, but basically it helps protect against the devastation caused by inflation.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A couple handfuls of silver and gold.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have none. But have considered investing in gold as a hedge against inflation and unstable times.

If one looks at a gold chart... the 70's inflationary period drove prices up permanently. They seems to stabilize after that with ups and downs based on speculation on inflation.

IMO - Gold is not a good investment for growth or income... it is a hard asset hedge against inflation. It seems to go up in price based on speculation (demand)... inflation or fear of inflation on currency drives demand up or down.

I am considering owning some because if all else fails it hold value...(and a black swan inflation scenario). not sure of the amount... probably less than 5% of the portfolio. I would be about 2/3 in Gold Buillion ETFs 1/3 in a safety deposit box.

My buy in mark would be about 1/2 of current prices in the $300 to $350 range.

We have enough money that we hold it for significant periods of time. I figure my worst case scenario is that I wind up selling it when prices go up again significantly and have a low overall return.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #12

My portfolio is heavily weighted with mining stocks but the only producer of precious metal (gold) is primarily a Uranium company.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in the 5-10% category of precious metal (gold and silver) along with a much smaller amount in mining stocks. Mostly bought in from 400 to 600 range and will stay in as long as the printing presses are running at full speed. I'm not really a big gold advocate and will be happy to reduce the allocation to below 3% at some point in the future
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

No physical metal except a few fillings, but I do own GLD, the gold ETF, for about 5% of my port. Nice convenient way of owning gold without the hassle of transportation, insurance, storage, security, etc. Of course, if the fabric of our society ever disintegrates, getting my share of the bullion may be problematic. Some coins buried under a rock would indeed come in handy in the event of an apocalypse.
big galloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to invest in this sector but the VG fund was closed. I guess that I got lucky as I stayed invested in the S&P 500.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big galloot View Post
No physical metal except a few fillings, but I do own GLD, the gold ETF, for about 5% of my port. Nice convenient way of owning gold without the hassle of transportation, insurance, storage, security, etc. Of course, if the fabric of our society ever disintegrates, getting my share of the bullion may be problematic. Some coins buried under a rock would indeed come in handy in the event of an apocalypse.
No need for coins under a rock. DW's decades long QVC jewelry collecting has created a nice stash of metal in various carats. Add in the gems and we're probably set for post-apocalyptic trading for a while. And that's without even trying to pass off the Diamonique as real.