Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you return cans/bottles for cash?
No, never 36 43.37%
No, but I used to 26 31.33%
Yes, I need the dough 14 16.87%
Yes, we don't have curbside recycle 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
+1. As long as the "pilferers" are courteous (put everything back neatly, don't make a lot of noise at night, etc), it's fine with me. In fact, there are a lot of "scrappers" in my neighborhood that pick up large-ish metal that isn't allowed to go into the recyling bin (appliances, car parts, lawn mowers, etc). I put that stuff curbside early enough that they can get it, sometimes even with a sign regarding the condition ("FREE--mower engine seized--scrap) to save them time in knowing what to do with it. I'm happy to see them, they are always polite, and I have even helped them load stuff. There's no grey area about it (unlike the folks digging through the recycling bins), these folks are absolutely performing a public service.
+1
They have saved me money as our garbage collector charges $25 per appliance for the garbage !
I put it out the day before collection and it's gone in 2-4 hrs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our state has a 5 cent deposit tacked on at time of purchase for beer and soft drink cans and bottles, so yes, I return them for the deposit. I don't understand why the plastic water bottles are not included, maybe it was because the deposit laws have been around since before drinking water was sold in bottles. I would prefer no deposit on anything as it is a pain to return them. We do recycle all tin cans, plastics, newspapers, etc. even though local garbage service does not pick up any recycle material at curbside. Garbage service will only recycle what you shlep to them and sort it into the appropriate containers for them. Lazy b*States.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #43

When we lived in a house in a residential neighbourhood we would save up our bottles, cans, etc for the scouts, soccer teams, whatever. Happy to give them up.

Now that we are in a condo we take them to a recycle bin at a nearby shopping center. But we leave them in a separate bag beside the bin. There are several homeless folk who come along to collect them.

Where we live there is an environment deposit charge on most containers...including milk, tetra packs, wine, beer, etc.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Now that we are in a condo we take them to a recycle bin at a nearby shopping center. But we leave them in a separate bag beside the bin. There are several homeless folk who come along to collect them.
Do you mean you don't need to add the $10 to your portfolio like some other millionaires?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

When we lived in Michigan, those were all dimes, so I returned them all. I hated it, but I despised throwing dimes in the Recycling even more.

Now, we crush cans and throw them in a trailer where the school collects them to bring to the scrap metal place for small change.

Everything else that can be recycled is recycled.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Do you mean you don't need to add the $10 to your portfolio like some other millionaires?
I can't speak for others, but for me it is not the single $10 in a year that makes a difference in my retirement lifestyle. But it is the cumulative impact of 2,000 or so $10 expense reductions or income increases that all add up to maybe an extra $20K a year, or $1M over a potential 50 year retirement that make a difference for me. If I was Bill Gates maybe the $1M would not make a difference, but I'm not, so I like the idea of an extra $1M in my long term retirement planning.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #47

To get (2000) ten dollar bumps or cuts a year means that you will do 5 a day.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
We don't have a deposit on cans or bottles in New Mexico. And the curbside recycle does not accept glass - you have to take them to dumpsters located throughout the city that are often full. I rarely drink coke anymore and if I do it is usually at work where we have a recycle bin for aluminum cans. Unfortunately I have a garage full of glass bottles (mostly from when I drank beer which I don't drink much now) but recently learned that glass is the least recyclable material and has virtually no cost benefit to recycle. Also the closest dumpsters are in a bad area that is frequented by undesirable dumpster divers. So I am considering putting the glass in the trash.
Given that the raw material of glass (sand) is unlikely to ever be in short supply, the main issue in recycling glass is energy prices. It takes 4/5 the energy to recycle glass versus making virgin glass compared with 4% of the energy for aluminum. Given that glass has to be sorted by color to enable making pure colored glass and much of this is by hand sorting. It is easy to see why glass recycling was popular when energy prices were high and not so much now that they are low.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
To get (2000) ten dollar bumps or cuts a year means that you will do 5 a day.
It doesn't have to literally be $10 increments, just the idea that a lot of little recurring habits that make or save money over long periods of time can really add up.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I can't speak for others, but for me it is not the single $10 in a year that makes a difference in my retirement lifestyle. But it is the cumulative impact of 2,000 or so $10 expense reductions or income increases that all add up to maybe an extra $20K a year, or $1M over a potential 50 year retirement that make a difference for me. If I was Bill Gates maybe the $1M would not make a difference, but I'm not, so I like the idea of an extra $1M in my long term retirement planning.
I on the other like to donate cans and bottles for good cause and for the needy. They need it more than I do and it makes me feel better.......

Besides, expense reduction was never my goal when I retired. I pulled the plug when I determined that I can afford the same pre retirement lifestyle without cutting expenses.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #51

Yeah, I used to get $20 twice a year for 15 years, $600. At least I didn't make a special trip, used the dough to buy lunch.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #52

Actually we save them and donate them to a local charitable organization. Also, Just because one saves cans doesn't mean they need the dough, it could just be either frugal or just recycling raw materials to keep them out of the landfill. Several more options would be appropriate for this poll.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I on the other like to donate cans and bottles for good cause and for the needy. They need it more than I do and it makes me feel better.......

Besides expense reduction was never my goal when I retired. I pulled the plug when I determined that I can afford the same pre retirement lifestyle without cutting expenses.
And no one is mocking you or putting you down for your lifestyle choices. We have a wide range of lifestyles and goals here.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
And no one is mocking you or putting you down for your lifestyle choices.
Got it the first time..Why are you repeating yourself?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got it the first time..Why are you repeating yourself?
Sorry, edit error on my part.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #56

Sorry for the lack of the "donation" line in the poll. Nobody has ever come to the door and asked for cans in the 30 years I've lived here.

Just a tibit 'cause Sunday was trash/recycle day and I rolled 'em all out to the curb.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Sorry for the lack of the "donation" line in the poll. Nobody has ever come to the door and asked for cans in the 30 years I've lived here.

Just a tibit 'cause Sunday was trash/recycle day and I rolled 'em all out to the curb.

Ive enjoyed your posts on going big for high end food, but this is just MADNESS!

You'll be living in a van down by the river the next downturn.