Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
You're responsible for the return. I find it foolish to not understand the work done & to not ask questions when you don't. You let the work of other employees/subordinates go when you don't understand it?

I've had our taxes done because they are so complicated - semi-retired CPA says we're in the top 2-3 of 75-80 he does - I wouldn't have known everything to look for. But once I see what was necessary, I double check the work. The CPA sometimes has input errors from missing income sources details in reports or transposing numbers. These haven't been large errors but he knows I'm watching.

gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
.... For the 15 years I've used TurboTax, I've yet to find a mistake....
I had a couple of occasions in the past where I had to override turbotax to get the return correct. Hated seeing the red typeface on my entries, which was the sign that they weren't supported answers.

Can't even remember what the issue was, and it has been a few years. Nonetheless, just like any other route, if complex, out-of-the-norm issues pop up, the software may not handle it properly.

While it is true, as Gerntz said,
You're responsible for the return. I find it foolish to not understand the work done...
I don't think the law is reasonable in expecting everyone to have the time/interest/ability to burrow into the Code, Regs, and Cum.Bull.--much less the circuit splits on grey areas of the tax law (which may have been where TurboTax failed me). The system can get really complex really fast if you get far afield from straight W-2 and some investment earnings.

OMY * 3 2ish
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I do use one and I do check. It has become a discussion point in our house. Our taxes used to be very complicated and we started using a tax prep because my wife did not care for all of the yelling and bad language coming from the office room . And I missed stuff because I did not understand the tax code. So she would prefer to pay someone than to deal with her werewolf spouse....I believe this will change when I ER since I can take my time and am not forced to do it on days off/evenings. I also do not think the taxes are as complicated now and the software handles some of the tax code stuff better than it did 10 years ago
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
We used a CPA for several years when DH had a business. Before that I always prepared the returns myself. A couple of years ago when I picked up our tax return I immediately spotted an error that would have cost $2000! I waited to talk to the CPA about this. After waiting around for half an hour I spoke to one of her employees. I showed him the error and he didn't understand. I left the return and the next day the CPA called me...yes I was right and they were correcting the return. After that experience I went to Turbotax. The real work is in gathering all the data needed to file.

I have thought that eventually I may need to go back to a paid preparer but my experience has made me gun shy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
I don't use an accountant. I did for about 5 years due to ex-pat junk and foreign tax returns. But I checked everything. It is my signature on the return. I do our returns now but I always have someone check it.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #26
I would strongly recommend double checking your return, the accountant should be able to answer any questions.
I work as a back office person preparing returns at a CPA firm. But the firm hires several smart college interns each year and their primary job this time of year is to prepare income tax returns. So your return was likely prepared by a part timer or a college student and checked by the CPA.......but if he is real busy dealing with his high paying clients ( business owners), I've observed that individual 1040s are not a priority for his time. Business returns are generally due by March 15 so they will have priority.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Been using Turbo Tax for about 10 years or so and I always check their numbers before hitting send. No CPA or tax prep guy has as much to gain from a correct tax form than do I.
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yes, I double check. When I do taxes myself. I double check that, too. Put the return away for a week, then pull it out and read it fresh. Even a careful professional can make errors.

growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote