Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have a family financial budget?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you have a family financial budget?

Do you have a personal or family financial budget? If so, how strict is it?

Personally, I naturally live below my means, and I have never felt like I wanted or needed a budget. In some ways, I think I'd spend more if I had a budget. If I decide to buy something, I buy it, but only after I'm sure it is something I really want and will use.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Do you have a personal or family financial budget? If so, how strict is it?

Personally, I naturally live below my means, and I have never felt like I wanted or needed a budget. In some ways, I think I'd spend more if I had a budget. If I decide to buy something, I buy it, but only after I'm sure it is something I really want and will use.
Sure, though nobody is making me stick to it but me. So, I interpret it as loosely or as strictly as I want to. Here's how that works for me:

I keep track of my regular monthly payments, and check every day to make sure I'm within my budget on any payments that have come through. If my electric/gas bill is higher than I have budgeted, then I would probably tweak the thermostat, for example. Every once in a while I look at these regular payments and think about what I might be able to eliminate or reduce. I believe that regular payments are what most easily ruins LBYM attempts. They are insidious and can really nail you.

I have a certain target amount for other spending each month; you might regard it as an informal "allowance", I suppose. I keep track of how I'm doing on a daily basis when I examine my online checking account. If I spend more than my budget permits during one month, then I tighten the belt in the following months until I'm back on my projected savings level. On the other hand, if I spend too little and don't feel especially deprived, then I usually just adjust my projected savings level upwards.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a set monthly target of spending for the family, but each month varies quite a bit. For example, in the spring when I have to pay for upcoming summer camps for kids, the budget is slammed. But what I have found is that other months are much lower than the average (late fall months). So on average, we stay within the target, but I don't sweat the month to month variations as long as I know the the spending is still "planned".
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
No!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #4

No!

No! We do not have a budget! Wife hates budgets

We do have a spending plan
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #5

Nope.

Track expenses, yes. Try to eliminate unneeded expenses, yes. I look at my 12-month rolling average to see where expenses are creeping upwards, but not interested in creating a preset spending limit.

Sometimes monthly expenses are $1800, sometimes $6500. Life happens, that's just the way it goes.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

How do people who have monthly budgets handle extras such as vacations ?
I track my spending and live below my means so no formal budget .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #7

We used to track - not budget - all of our monthly expenses, and found that the process of doing so naturally helped us "budget" our money and keep spending under control. We have fallen out of that habit over the past year, as the birth of our first child kept us busy with other things. But I still track overall monthly expenses and have found that on average we're still within our normal range.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I track my spending and live below my means so no formal budget .
I have a "vacation budget" line item in the budget. We budget $2500 a year for that, to cover not only the "big car trip", but smaller stuff like water park weekends and stuff.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I don't consider a vacation an extra. It's just another item I budget for on a monthly basis, although some months we obviously spend nothing in that category. I pay little attention to anything but the annual number. Same for other items that aren't predictable monthly spends, such as auto repairs and home maintenance.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No real budget. We have a list of estimated expenses. Then add a liberal vacation allotment and a big miscellaneous allotment. That constitutes our yearly spending plan. If we underspend the excess will go into a "mad money" account to be tapped when we get a wild hair up our a** or in bad times.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #11

I started tracking expenses this year for the first time ever. I'm specifically trying not to limit my spending more than I normally would - I want a 'base case' to look at, then I'll analyze it to see (1) what I can/should cut down and (2) what would likely go down or up in retirement.

By the way - its kind of scary. This year my cheapest month was $12,500 and my most expensive one was $16,500 - and thats NOT including one off home improvement expenses that would never be repeated (e.g. bought some expensive art this year) but it does include home repair stuff that could repeat (e.g. fixed AC, replaced dishwasher).

Right now it looks like my expenses are running on average 14k per month, or 168k per year.

Ridiculous, I know.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #12

Maurice, I think a lot of us would love to see a categorical breakdown of that spending. Not to critique your spending, but just to see what a $168k budget looks like.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Maurice, I think a lot of us would love to see a categorical breakdown of that spending. Not to critique your spending, but just to see what a $168k budget looks like.
Financial voyeurism...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I started tracking expenses this year for the first time ever. I'm specifically trying not to limit my spending more than I normally would - I want a 'base case' to look at, then I'll analyze it to see (1) what I can/should cut down and (2) what would likely go down or up in retirement.

By the way - its kind of scary. This year my cheapest month was $12,500 and my most expensive one was $16,500 - and thats NOT including one off home improvement expenses that would never be repeated (e.g. bought some expensive art this year) but it does include home repair stuff that could repeat (e.g. fixed AC, replaced dishwasher).

Right now it looks like my expenses are running on average 14k per month, or 168k per year.

Ridiculous, I know.
Only ridiculous if you CAN'T AFFORD IT...but it seems to me you are doing just fine........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a budget because I am a spender and need to know where my limits are. At one point we were spending $1200 per month on groceries and eating out, we are down to $400 now. A budget let me pay off over $14k of debt last year and will let me do the same this year plus save the down payment for a house. People who don't tend to push their limits probably don't need one but people like me who would naturally spend what they make probably do.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post

Ok - I'll bear my dirtly laundry for all to see. Keep in mind this isn't a budget - its YTD actuals through October.

At my 'top level' categorization, I have the following:

(I'm rounding at category level so forgive me when they don't add up to 14k)

Housing $5,040
Utilities and Comm. $545
Cash - $2,985 (explanation below)
Medical/Dental/Pharmacy $275
Food and Drink: $590
Entertainment $1,325
Travel - $1,420
Consumer Goods and Svcs $1,170
Gifts - $215
Misc: - $390

Some detail (again forgive the rounding):

Housing - 5,040
4k of that 5k is mortgage (I've always rounded up to the nearest grand, I think the actual pmt due is ~ 3500).
$590 is condo fees. This pays water, heat, some building maintenance.
$175 is insurance (homeowners + a policy for an expensive piano)
$275 is repair - this has been an expensive year - new compressor for AC and new dishwasher

Utilities and Comm:
210 gas&elec
75 - home phone
75 - internet
185 - cell phones

Cash: 2,985THis is a bogus category and an obvious flaw in my system. I don't track where my cash goes. This is just money from the atm. Most is probably food and drink or entertainment, lots also in transportation (i can spend 6-700/mo on taxis)

Medical/Dental/Pharmacy $275
Optical 125
Medical and Dental 60
Pharmacy - 90 (much of this is health&beauty stuff, things most people would buy in a grocery store)

Food and Drink: $590
Grocery: $370 (we spend much more than this - but it goes out as cash)
Wine and Liquor: $220

Entertainment $1,325
Restaurant/Bar: 720
Gym: 120
Piano lessons: 170
Newspapers and Mag: 135
'other' 180

Travel - $1,420
We also are very liberal with our travel budget. We did 10 days in India in the spring. I went to Miami for a bachelor party. My wife and I spent a weekend in Mexico in June (I had to go for work anyway). We did a weekend in Milan in July. There was a weekend trip to Chicago for a wedding in September. The wife joined me in London for a week in October (I was there anyway for work). Two weeks ago I did a short Vegas trip with some old buddies. This weekend we're making a quick trip to Boston - we'll be gone a little less than 48 hours, it'll cost probably a thousand bucks all in. Over xmas/new years we're going back to Mexico - searching for ER locales.

And this was a light travel year for us.

Consumer Goods and Svcs (retail) $1,170
Electronics: 90
Books and Music: 200
Household and Kitchen: 50
Clothing: 625
Office/Art suplies: 140
Computer non-HW 15
Hair/other svcs 50

Gifts - $215
No further breakdown here

Misc: - $390
Public Transport - 100
Charities 270
other - 20

Wow. Thank god for internet anonymity!

Anyway, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where they above lifestyle qualifies as living significantly below my means (LSBYM?). My annual net savings amount is more than my annual taxes which is more than my annual expenses - a good LBYM definition I would say.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
No real budget. We have a list of estimated expenses. Then add a liberal vacation allotment and a big miscellaneous allotment. That constitutes our yearly spending plan. If we underspend the excess will go into a "mad money" account to be tapped when we get a wild hair up our a** or in bad times.

That sounds like my method !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I've tried to keep a budget, just to 'confirm' where the money goes, but never see it through. Instead I estimate yearly inputs and expenses for various categories based on the previous year and accounting for inflation and major changes. I too have a large miscellaneous allotment which is the part I'd like to get a better handle on now that I'm moving into FIRE.
Getting short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #19

We keep a "strict" budget using Quicken in sort of a custom "envelope" method. We've been doing it for about 25 years now. The whole idea of keeping a budget is to spend as much as possible (!!!), without getting into a cash crunch when you suddenly need to cover a big expense. We have been able to save for cars and pay cash when we buy them, for example.

With a comfortable budget in place that accounts for retirement savings and large "unexpected" expenses, we can spend the rest guilt free.

We also split the budget money between DW, myself the kids, and common expenses. So DW and I have our own money and don't have to ask permission to buy some expensive toy for ourselves.

Now actually, my DW and I end up saving most of that spare cash, so maybe that careful budgeting is somewhat wasted. We're going to have that problem with trying to turn saving in pre-retirement to spending in post retirement. I may have to buy a Ferrari just before I go into the nursing home just to make sure it's all spent. And DW has saved more than me! So we don't have a big problem with budget disipline. In the early days if there was a problem it was usually fixed with a simple reallocation between goals or dedicating raises to the problem area. DW and I were in agreement on balancing current and future spending, so we didn't have any big problems.

I'd be pretty nervous without a budget.

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

No budget here yet, but use Quicken to track expenses in order to prepare future budget when I fully ER.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote