Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Plan B: Las Vegas (insert your city of preference) hotel room.
That $50 a night covers a lot of bills I currently pay:

mortgage, insurance, prop tax, repairs, replacing worn out things.
auto note, ins, gas, repairs/maintenence
electric, gas, cable, internet, water, garbage, phone
gym membership, maid, concierge

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plan B is simple. If the market goes South and stays there, I can live comfortably, though not lavishly on my SS and pension. No traveling, no new sports cars, no flashy blondes hanging on my arm. But, I should be able to visit the local cafe and enjoy reading the paper and talking with friends.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan A: live off my investments
Plan B: if it all tanks, buy an Immediate Annuity
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plan A:
Retire in 1 yr, at age 55 & begin drawing my pension. Keep (younger) wife working for 3 additional years, when she retires at 55. (No pension, only smallish 401k) Begin drawing military reserve retirement at age 60. Wife begins SS at 62.

Plan B:
Similar to Plan A, but I work till 56 or 57, then retire. Wife shortly thereafter. Everything else is the same.

Both plans leave us trying to decide how/when to take withdrawals from my TSP & her 401k. We have some decisions to make in those areas, regardless of which plan.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
If you'd go to Mexico, might as well keep going a bit further until you arrive in San Ignacio, Belize.
We visited San Pedro last year. I LIKE Belize. But when we got there, Jerry Jeff advised, If you come here, you have to have something to do.

We may be back on Plan A. I have good work overseas today and a reset may be possible.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I just thought I'd point out that this thread was started on Feb 9,2009
At the time the S&P closed at 869.89. The S&P is up just under 50% and the total market is up 53% since this time.

Sticking with Plan A and rebalancing into a a portfolio of 50%+ equities and the rest in total bond fund would have seen increase over 35% since the thread started. I suspect no need for a Plan B with these type of returns.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #67

My plan B is to either 1) go back to Europe - where I have a condo on the beach or 2) spend 6 months a year in Central America giving free heatlhcare to people while living on $2 a day for food !
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan A is DW retires from county in 2 years, I retire in Dec 15. Live off pensions and 401K till 66/67 and live off pensions and SS.

Plan B is move to Reno where we have a rental and cost of living is less than Northern VA. Lower costs and can either sell this house or use rental income to suplement other income.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I just thought I'd point out that this thread was started on Feb 9,2009
At the time the S&P closed at 869.89. The S&P is up just under 50% and the total market is up 53% since this time.

Sticking with Plan A and rebalancing into a a portfolio of 50%+ equities and the rest in total bond fund would have seen increase over 35% since the thread started. I suspect no need for a Plan B with these type of returns.
Don't confuse me with facts. I would rather moan and groan about "what if" problems.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #70

I'm about to execute my plan B....I have no plan C
TJ
Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #71

Plan A is to work as little as possible (work remotely and delegate everything) through 2012 and 2013 and retire at the end of 2013.

Plan B is to retire immediately when boss tells me that he doesn't like Plan A.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #72

Gee now I need plan C. I retired in 2006.

12/2006 Vanguard Prime MM 5.23% compounded annual yield. Today .04%
12/2006 Vanguard Total Bond Market Fund 5.05% 30 day yield. Today 2.28%

I have taken a lot more risk in this market than I should be 65/35, it should be the other way around. But for me the new bond space is in fact Hi Dividend stocks.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
...(snip)...
I have taken a lot more risk in this market than I should be 65/35, it should be the other way around. But for me the new bond space is in fact Hi Dividend stocks.
Have seen articles on this sort of thinking and some comments referring to dividend stocks as a replacement for bonds. Some of the best performing Vanguard funds had "dividend" in their name. I wonder if this is a trend that will last.

I too am 65/35 equity/bonds. But this graphic shows that dividend stocks don't behave like bonds in a business downturn:

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Have seen articles on this sort of thinking and some comments referring to dividend stocks as a replacement for bonds. Some of the best performing Vanguard funds had "dividend" in their name. I wonder if this is a trend that will last.

I too am 65/35 equity/bonds. But this graphic shows that dividend stocks don't behave like bonds in a business downturn:

Thanks that's an eye opener. I started putting some $ in VYM Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF in 2010, thinking bond yields could only go up. We all saw that thought was flawed. Than I thought I could easily beat MM rates returns on my yearly living expense $, even if I took 2-3% and bailed. Well Quicken says I have a total return of about 13% on my investment. With a 3.28% yield, I will stick with one for a while or at least until the EOY when I may bail, at the last of the 0% LTCG's. Hey I am never afraid of taking a profit.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Plan A - Work till 65 and retire.
Plan B - Get laid off and realize 59 was close enough to 65 and realize I no longer had to work.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan A, continue to enjoy life and live off my investments.
Plan B, sell most (keep two pieces of land) real estate, buy a mobile home and place on a lot I own in Virginia hill country, have a good garden and live off fixed income.
Plan C, I have 26 acres of land in the mountains of NH near where I grew up. Dig out my 20 years of Mother Earth News. I still know how to garden, hunt, can, milk cows, take care of chickens, barter, and most everything else I need to live off the land. I did it for my first 15 years and can do it for the last 15 if necessary.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Plan A, continue to enjoy life and live off my investments.
Plan B, sell most (keep two pieces of land) real estate, buy a mobile home and place on a lot I own in Virginia hill country, have a good garden and live off fixed income.
Plan C, I have 26 acres of land in the mountains of NH near where I grew up. Dig out my 20 years of Mother Earth News. I still know how to garden, hunt, can, milk cows, take care of chickens, barter, and most everything else I need to live off the land. I did it for my first 15 years and can do it for the last 15 if necessary.
Oh that's my plan D, Here on my homestead growing, rocks and rattlesnakes. And picking up a few stray bundles my Mexican hiking buddies leave behind.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
My plan B is to either 1) go back to Europe - where I have a condo on the beach or 2) spend 6 months a year in Central America giving free heatlhcare to people while living on $2 a day for food !

My suggestion is to go with #2 and rent the European beach condo to us. :-)

Ck 6
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan A was carefully thought out and not pushed, so hopefully Plan B will not be necessary.

Been retired 5 months now and calculations have been pretty accurate. I am finding that time is the most important, with stuff a distant second. I have income from pension, health care paid for by former employer, savings, paid off house and quarter of a million in portifolio. Plan B would likely just reduce what the kids will get.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 44 -- No debt

Plan A : As a Fed. Employee I have to work until Min age of 57ish -- At that age I should be able to count on about 60k a year coming in from fixed income sources that will somewhat increase as I age (cola's) Should have 600K to 1 mil in 401k to supplement fixed income
Plan B : If I would be offered an "early retirement buyout" (I have over 25years in already ) I could be tempted to "jump" ship -- especially if the offer came in about 4 years after my youngest is through college --- This would require a pretty lean budget but I could swing it and just would have to weigh job satisfation at the time it was offered ....
Plan C : If for some terrible reason the love of my life was not with me at 57 retirement age I would probably just keep working until 62 to get the extra $$ that the FERS retirement gives for working to that age --- Retirement would mean alot less without her.