Do you have a "Plan B"?

Plan A, continue to enjoy life and live off my investments.
Plan B, sell most (keep two pieces of land) real estate, buy a mobile home and place on a lot I own in Virginia hill country, have a good garden and live off fixed income.
Plan C, I have 26 acres of land in the mountains of NH near where I grew up. Dig out my 20 years of Mother Earth News. I still know how to garden, hunt, can, milk cows, take care of chickens, barter, and most everything else I need to live off the land. I did it for my first 15 years and can do it for the last 15 if necessary.

Plan A, continue to enjoy life and live off my investments.
Plan B, sell most (keep two pieces of land) real estate, buy a mobile home and place on a lot I own in Virginia hill country, have a good garden and live off fixed income.
Plan C, I have 26 acres of land in the mountains of NH near where I grew up. Dig out my 20 years of Mother Earth News. I still know how to garden, hunt, can, milk cows, take care of chickens, barter, and most everything else I need to live off the land. I did it for my first 15 years and can do it for the last 15 if necessary.

Oh that's my plan D, Here on my homestead growing, rocks and rattlesnakes. And picking up a few stray bundles my Mexican hiking buddies leave behind.

My plan B is to either 1) go back to Europe - where I have a condo on the beach or 2) spend 6 months a year in Central America giving free heatlhcare to people while living on $2 a day for food !

My suggestion is to go with #2 and rent the European beach condo to us. :)

Ck 6

Plan A was carefully thought out and not pushed, so hopefully Plan B will not be necessary.

Been retired 5 months now and calculations have been pretty accurate. I am finding that time is the most important, with stuff a distant second. I have income from pension, health care paid for by former employer, savings, paid off house and quarter of a million in portifolio. Plan B would likely just reduce what the kids will get.

I am 44 -- No debt

Plan A : As a Fed. Employee I have to work until Min age of 57ish -- At that age I should be able to count on about 60k a year coming in from fixed income sources that will somewhat increase as I age (cola's) Should have 600K to 1 mil in 401k to supplement fixed income
Plan B : If I would be offered an "early retirement buyout" (I have over 25years in already ) I could be tempted to "jump" ship -- especially if the offer came in about 4 years after my youngest is through college --- This would require a pretty lean budget but I could swing it and just would have to weigh job satisfation at the time it was offered ....
Plan C : If for some terrible reason the love of my life was not with me at 57 retirement age I would probably just keep working until 62 to get the extra $$ that the FERS retirement gives for working to that age --- Retirement would mean alot less without her.

A: Retire at 56, but unsure I can take the early retirement hit at fed job under MRA+10
B: Retire at 60, 30 years fed service, unreduced COLA pension (if it is still there in 2026) + reserve component retirement pension (if it is still there)
C: Keep working I guess...

Back
Top Bottom