Join Early Retirement Today

Do you have a zero withdrawal rate?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have a zero withdrawal rate?

Curious who else has a zero withdrawal rate. Income that meets or exceeds expenses.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you mean zero draw of principal (dividends only), or zero draw from portfolio at all - aka 100% SIRE? Presumably the latter would mean you have pensions and Soc Sec that exceeds spending. Buying an annuity would be a gray area. There have been several FIRE vs SIRE polls if you want to do a search.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Do you mean zero draw of principal (dividends only), or zero draw from portfolio at all - aka 100% SIRE? Presumably the latter would mean you have pensions and Soc Sec that exceeds spending. Buying an annuity would be a gray area. There have been several FIRE vs SIRE polls if you want to do a search.
Yes, sorry. Zero draw from principal, savings. I’ll search , never heard of SIRE before.

I see all the time people posting about their 3,4,5 percent withdrawal rates. Just unsure what this actually means and where they are withdrawing from.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m not sure what you mean but over the last 2 years my portfolio has gone up more than I have taken out so I guess so.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I’m not sure what you mean but over the last 2 years my portfolio has gone up more than I have taken out so I guess so.
You have been withdrawing from your portfolio. I’m talking about zero portfolio withdraws. Where your income (SS, pensions, part time job, annuity) covers your annual expenses.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Yes, sorry. Zero draw from principal, savings. I’ll search , never heard of SIRE before.

I see all the time people posting about their 3,4,5 percent withdrawal rates. Just unsure what this actually means and where they are withdrawing from.
Quote:
You have been withdrawing from your portfolio. I’m talking about zero portfolio withdraws. Where your income (SS, pensions, part time job, annuity) covers your annual expenses.
So you are taking all/some dividends and interest from your portfolio along with pension and Soc Sec? If yes, that’s not actually a 0% WR. That’s the old ‘Norwegian widow’ method, taking investment income while leaving principal untouched.

And if you buy/bought an annuity, that’s not a 0% WR, it’s just a one time front loaded withdrawal.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am spending only 2.7% from my stash for the last 12 months.

And yes, it it less than the usual portfolio gain meaning dividend+interest+capital gain, but it is not zero.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So you are taking all/some dividends and interest from your portfolio along with pension and Soc Sec? If yes, that’s not actually a 0% WR. That’s the old ‘Norwegian widow’ method, taking investment income while leaving principal untouched.

And if you buy/bought an annuity, that’s not a 0% WR, it’s just a one time front loaded withdrawal.

I’m talking Zero from your portfolio. No interest, no dividends. No withdrawals.

Just Soc. Sec., pensions, and yes annuity payouts as they are a grey area but are really like a pension that cover your annual expenses.

35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Old 09-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I get it... he is saying where pensions and SS (and other "income") exceed spending so there is no need to use any retirement portfolio money.

Not here... my pension is small and we have not yet started SS... even once we start SS, pension and SS will only cover 63% of our spending so we will be using some money from our portfolio.... but only about 2% or so.... so I expect our portfolio will keep growing since it will earn more than the 2% we withdraw.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Why do you care? It's not one size fits all.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The opposite here. No income streams at all yet, and only SS expected in the far future. So all living expenses are supplied by the portfolio.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm pretty sure most are talking about withdrawing that percent annually from a portfolio of investments independently of any other income streams such as pension or SS.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My wife is working, so no withdrawals here. That's like getting a pension and SS, isn't it?

I haven't worked in ages.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #14

I have a negative withdrawal rate. I have to take RMD's from the inherited IRA's. Those are the only "withdrawals" I make from the paper asset portfolio. 44 percent of that total dollar amount goes directly into taxable stock investments. 52 percent of that total dollar amount goes directly into money market accounts and savings. So 96 percent goes right back into paper assets. 65 percent of that total dollar amount goes to additional principal payment on a rental mortgage. So 161 percent of the RMD's are automatically invested. That's in addition to the principal payments made in ordinary mortgage payments and some excess cash that periodically gets invested.

Income from pensions, Social Security, and the rentals exceeds expenses. RMD's are required, but have no effect on the paper portfolio.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Like others have said with your scenario it wouldn't be zero WR but you can look at it how you want.

Our WR last year was .4% but had one SS check for the year and a low cash flow for a few months.

Of course as your portfolio continues to grow, and your WR stays the same, your WR% will continue to go down, because of the growth of the portfolio.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Curious who else has a zero withdrawal rate. Income that meets or exceeds expenses.
Not here, didn't structure my life that way. Hope you feel lucky you did.

Drawing it down as planned after my wife died and I decided it was best to tend to our kids rather than keep putting points on the board.

Post your question as a poll, then you can see how thin the air is where you breathe.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am spending only 2.7% from my stash for the last 12 months.

And yes, it it less than the usual portfolio gain meaning dividend+interest+capital gain, but it is not zero.
Uh, just remember that my wife started her SS a few months ago. That 2.7% number is spending, and the WR has to be less, now that we have some "income".

Lemme see... Quicken, Quicken on the screen, what's my "income" for the last 12 months?

Take that away from the spending, and the WR is ... (drum roll) ... 2.3%. Next year it will be less when we have a full 12 months of SS, plus I had some non-recurrent expenses that will go away, hopefully not replaced by something else.

PS. My checking account is with B of A. Their computer periodically sends me a message about my "financial status". It reminds me that my "income" is just a fraction of my spending, and offers some tools for budgeting.

Obviously, it does not count the IRA transfer as "income", hence worries about me depleting the checking account and ending up broke.

Funny thing is that I have plenty of money in an roll-over IRA account at Merrill Edge, which is part of B of A now. Their programmer should know to write a program to look at the WR to see that it is within the 4% WR. And I have money at other brokerages too.

PPS. Yes, next year the WR will be less than 2%, using the last 12-month expense as the baseline. How much less than 2%? It does not matter, does it?

PPS. I forgot one thing. If the market crashes by 50%, that will drive my WR back up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #18

Not taking any withdrawals currently. We have taken funds from DW ira previously. But stopped after I realized we were essentially just moving funds to a taxable investment account. Pensions and rental income cover expenses.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

There have definitely been some posts on this forum about 0% WR, but definitely not us currently or ever in the future.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Like others have said with your scenario it wouldn't be zero WR but you can look at it how you want.

Our WR last year was .4% but had one SS check for the year and a low cash flow for a few months.

Of course as your portfolio continues to grow and you WR stays the same your WR% will continue to go down because of the growth of the portfolio.
If income from pension, SS, part-time job covers expenses such that no withdrawals are made from the portfolio and all investment income reinvested, then of course it’s a zero withdrawal rate.