Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
VGENX in my Roth

200 shares of HK, which is a good example of dumb luck for someone like me who owns mostly mutual funds doing very well lately. Mr B keeps an eye on it more than I do. My plan is to hold for the next decade at least.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...
Not directly.... indirectly through the ownership of companies that use them as factors of production or directly by producing the commodity.

I do not understand the futures markets for commodities or mutual funds/etf that invest in them. There were some commodity etfs issued... I read that it did not work out well for retail investors because of contango.

I own an energy sector fund. I have considered some other sector funds that concentrate in the commodities supply chain.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
3.5% in DJP
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...
GLD, DBC, and a couple of small miners. I appreciate the counterbalancing, although my total percentage is small.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... or that your chosen currency will fall...

I didn't hang on to my copy of Swedroe's alternative investment guide, but IIRC he only praised commodities for their lack of correlation-- not for their consistent market-beating gains.

We don't hold any commodities in our retirement portfolio. Just equities & cash.
The last time I looked into correlation, the classes that were the least correlated also were the lowest performing. I do not like to invest in things that don't make money just to smooth things out. I did a very small quickie study a while back that showed (for the limited assets I focused on) that 100% equities and an inflation-adjusted withdrawal rate was better in the end than any combination that included bonds. But it was wildly volatile. Too limited a study to generalize from, though.
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
very small % in SEP-IRAs of:
PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking DBC
Harbor Commodity Real Return ST Instl HACMX

PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote