Join Early Retirement Today

Do you include savings/checking account in net worth?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you include savings/checking account in net worth?

In the past I haven't included either one. But then I realized that there is over 11k every month between the two, and they are pretty much within 2k of that yearly. So I started including it in my net worth calculations. Am I wrong? What do you do regarding this?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

No not really. They are considered it spending money.
Edit to add that I usually have about $20k in there earning zero interest. When it falls down below this level, I feel like I'm living from paycheck to paycheck time again.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

I include the balance of all my bank and investment accounts in my net worth, which I calculate monthly. I have a separate net worth that includes the value of my house, my projected value of pensions and SS. The cash and invested accounts are mostly what I compare each month.

I don't include any personal items or cars in either amount...
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I include them when calculating Net Worth but don't include them when calculating Fake Net Worth.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I include all financial accounts, our homes, cars, boats, etc but stop there. I do not bother to include personal property (furniture, equipment, tvs, laptops, etc.).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on why I want to calculate net worth.

So far, the main reason why I would do that, is to answer net worth polls on this forum. So, I include my checking account. But I do not include the change under my couch cushions. Well, not usually.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #7

It's your net worth, heck, include the value of your cat if you want. My point is it's yours. I know about what my net worth is, but let's face it, it's just for me and DW's nice to know list. I can't see, other than comparing to my neighbor's of what value it is.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #8

I'd have to say it depends on the size of the account. I carry a large enough balance in my 2 savings accounts, about $200,000, that I include it in my net worth. My checking account, which fluctuates between $400 and $3,000, I do not.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

I do not calculate fake Net Worth.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I include it although it ain't much, maybe $3k on average. My checking account is mainly a conduit where money comes in from some of my mutual funds held elsewhere, and money goes out to pay the bills. I keep a small buffer, over the minimum amount needed in the checking account to avoid monthly fees, to cover small, unforeseen expenses in a given month. Any excess funds in the checking account beyond the desired buffer go back into my mutual funds. That happens a few times a year.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My checking accounts and all my credit card accounts are included in Quicken for auto-download. So, whatever balance in these accounts, positive as well as negative, shows up in Quicken's total.

I need to do the autodownload to know about expenses, and when to replenish the checking account. It's not for networth tracking.

I do not bother to track assets like the two homes, let alone vehicles, and other junks. When I am ready to sell the home(s), I will think about the value(s).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

Since you are calculating net worth then definitely. Also include any credits card outstanding as reductions.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

I do, its a large number. I do not include furnishings, car, jewelry. Those 3 items wouldn't make a blip on my net worth.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #14

I include savings but not checking.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #15

I don't calculate a total net worth, but do calculate an investable net worth that includes almost everything.

I scrape the web pages of almost all of the institutions where I have a relationship. Given most institutions have a savings component, the low balance accounts, checking accounts, etc come along for the ride. But I don't bother with credit cards (they're paid off monthly), and don't bother with DW's checking, which she usually does a good job of emptying every month.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I don't do net worth calculations because I don't find including all of my assets to be indicative of anything important. I do an investment summary where I include my checking balance.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
In the past I haven't included either one. But then I realized that there is over 11k every month between the two, and they are pretty much within 2k of that yearly. So I started including it in my net worth calculations. Am I wrong? What do you do regarding this?
Net Worth is a specific financial term/concept. It includes all current assets (even the change in your sofa) minus all current liabilties, if you want to plan you finances excluding your checking balances that is fine, just don't muddle Net Worth into the discussion.

Just my opinion.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #18

If material you should include it. If not material who cares? Is this a trick question?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'll admit that I pay little attention to our net worth and more attention to the size of our retirement portfolio. The difference is our homes and vehicles that we hae no plans to sell so their value is not particularly relevant to our retirement finances.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #20

Net worth = assets - liabilities

Checking and savings accounts are assets.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote