Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Keep Cash on Hand? How Much?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do You Keep Cash on Hand? How Much?

I have thought about this recently, and curious how much cash you keep on hand? I mean real cash at your house and available right now. Not at the bank, or ATM, or other source you have to go get it. Assume power is out or other major event, and you can't get cash from a source other than if you already have it in hand.

Since I do old cars as hobby, I always have at least $1000-1500 cash ready for an "opportunity". My DW may interpret this as "collecting more old car junk" It is also available to cover any situation that may come up and need real cash, when you can't pay with a credit card or check.

So I am curious what do the rest of you do?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Normally when I run low on cash, I go to the ATM and withdraw $300. So, at most times I have between $20-$300 in my wallet. We eat lunch out every day and we choose to pay in cash, so it is convenient for me to do that. Many others here have said in the past that they carry absolutely no cash and conduct no cash transactions. They simply put their purchases on credit card.

August and September are historically the most likely months for a hurricane to strike New Orleans. From past experience I know that cash is absolutely essential should that happen. So, during these months I generally have well over $500 in cash on me, as well as a full tank of gas in the car in case we need to evacuate.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

I usually carry a small amount (less than $100) in my wallet, but that's it. Never see the need for more, in fact outside of scalping tickets, I can't recall the last time I needed more than $100 in cash at once.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Usually less than $100. We hit the ATM about every 6-8 weeks and get $200 to split between the two of us. We have a couple of restaurants that only take cash but if I know we are going there, I make sure I have enough to cover the check. Although they would probably let me come back later with the money -- they know us.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I carry $200 - $300 in my pocket and another $1,000 or so at home. Living on Florida's Gulf coast I like to know I can access a decent amount of cash if needed. Also, I suppose much of it is habit. I like to pay small merchants in cash when I can. It saves them the credit card charge and, even though I dislike the thought, I suppose it saves some of them a bit on income tax as well.
Bruce
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We keep zero cash on hand. None at the house. OK, maybe $5 in our wallets. In today's world, we can buy/pay for everything with a credit card. Even vending machines take a credit card for a 50 cent can of pop.

As for natural disasters like hurricanes, I have never had to spend cash just because the eye walls of hurricanes have ravaged our neighborhood. Indeed, one could not spend cash because all the stores were closed and the employees had their own problems at home to deal with. We did use our credit cards before the hurricanes hit in order to get prepared.

Small merchants around me like to avoid cash and want their customers to use credit cards. They have to store cash, keep it from being stolen, take it to the bank, and so on.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never carry cash. I've always found cash to be inconvenient, and a hassle.

I use credit cards for everything. The only time cards get inconvenient (or impossible) is when I go out to a meal with a lot of people (like 10 or more) and the place doesn't want to split the ticket across that many cards.

All other scenarios, I use plastic. And if a local merchant doesn't accept credit cards, they'll never get my business.

When food trucks first started coming by the office, some would only take cash, and I never patronized them. When they wised up and started accepting Square, I started visiting them (although I'm still not a huge food truck guy, I prefer to go out for lunch).

I'd be just fine if cash went away. Paying for everything with card or app on cell phone suits me just fine.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep a couple thousand hidden on the property. Worth it to me just in case. Same reason I don't keep everything at one brokerage or at one bank - it's good to have options.

I don't know what could disrupt bank and credit card networks but I don't think it's completely impossible.

And I prefer to use cash to buy items when a credit card would mean a 3% surcharge.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

I keep a couple of hundred dollars in my wallet and about $1000.00 in cash at the house. I pay cash for small things like $10.00 lunches out and purchases under $20.00 at various stores. I keep a roll of quarter in my car for parking meters and wash-it-yourself bays. I also keep about $50.00 in cash in my car. If I lost my purse I always want to be able to buy gas.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

I probably have way too much. I past years, I have had near $100K...

For anyone reading this, I do not have any now, do not try to break in. It is not worth your life (or mine).
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I probably have way too much. I past years, I have had near $100K...

For anyone reading this, I do not have any now, do not try to break in. It is not worth your life (or mine).
Curious minds... How did you come into so much cash? I don't think I've had this much cash come through my hands in my entire lifetime. I was a salaried slob, however, and I guess it's a different situation with those who are self employed.
Bruce
Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiner View Post
Curious minds... How did you come into so much cash?
I am guessing he went to the bank and withdrew it?

I could pull out $300K from taxable/bank by cashing in some CDs and doing a bit LTCG harvesting.

I wouldn't keep it in my house though.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I could pull out $300K from taxable/bank by cashing in some CDs and doing a bit LTCG harvesting.
Yes, most of us could, but why would we?
Bruce
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #14

Being "the bank of Dad", I sometimes will take cash deposits from the kids' odd jobs or graduation money. That will take my wallet up to the almost unfoldable level of $300 and I feel the need to deposit that in the bank.

I almost never spend cash, so $100 (my average), lasts months, sometimes longer.

As to the "prepper" angle, I have a few "junk silver" coins (US 1964 and earlier) that I collected when I was a kid. I might be able to trade those for a meal or two until I got to where electricity was, hehe.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiner View Post
How did you come into so much cash?
A lot of my rents were paid in cash, odd jobs, spare change thrown in a bucket, etc. It seems to add up quite a bit, quite fast. I should have deposited it, but with interest rates at 0.01%, I wasn't losing much. And my bank charges 0.25% to deposit cash over $2500.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Normally when I run low on cash, I go to the ATM and withdraw $300. So, at most times I have between $20-$300 in my wallet.
I do the same but the $300 will last for months and months b/c I pay everything with credit card.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
And my bank charges 0.25% to deposit cash over $2500.
Huh? Never heard of this before. They should be paying you for depositing money, and not the other way around.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Right now we have about $200, left from the $500 we took on a trip. Usually $50 to $100. Nearest ATM is 2 blocks from our house.

When MIL moved into nursing home her kids found a couple of thousand squirreled away among several hiding places in her house. One of you thrift store shoppers might have found a bundle they overlooked tucked into the back of a picture frame or something.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I get $160 fom my local ATM when I get low on cash. Until last year when I got a new, cashback CC, I would make this ATM withdrawal about twice a month. But now that I use the new CC for most of my supermarket purchases, it takes me longer between ATM trips, about 3-4 weeks. When I am out, I carry about $40-$60 of that cash with me, the rest stays at home.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I never have much cash in my wallet, less than $20 usually. I also keep $1,000 in cash at home for emergencies.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote