Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I am a bit anxious about FIREing, yes. Although I am financially independent, I find it difficult to make the jump. Was planning to FIRE in July but now it seems I am having second thoughts. Maybe I am not ready, not sure how to do it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
I don't think this guy know how to retire-early. I would love to have a chance to try and I bet many of you feel the same way. Retire to do "nothing" so you have to go back to work to make money and have contact with other human beings... what a shame.

I am almost sure that I will not have the same issue.

enuff

My Early Retirement was Terrible!!! (55, retired, friends, years) - Social Security, age, moving, relocation, finance, savings, early, hobbies, nursing homes - City-Data Forum

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I so very much want to try out early retirement. I feel very lucky to have achieved all that I set out to do (both me and spouse in demanding careers) in terms of career and job satisfaction. I really don't feel like I have much more that I want to do in my field. But I LOVE having days off. I love to piddle, I love to clean (yes, I have control issues and I even want to vaccum), I love to take a boat ride on a calm day and just do nothing but hang out and watch the Pelicans. I love my coworkers (who treat me way better than I deserve), but I would be happy to never walk thru the hospital doors again. That's why I keep reading this forum...gives me hope.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
filling my day with menial tasks and chores like vacuuming, cleaning the house, tending to the yard, etc. doesn't sound like a terribly exciting retirement to me. Anyone out there with a great retirement story?
I had a job that filled my day with menial tasks like department-head meetings, e-mail, zone inspections, performance reports, budget planning, VIP tours, regional consolidation, personnel counseling... can you tell that I was in an instructor billet? No, I couldn't either.

I don't enjoy cleaning the house (let alone vacuuming) or yardwork but I love home improvement, surfing, writing, reading, blogging, traveling...

Do you want to read about great retirement stories, or do you want to get out there and create your own?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #24

What got my attention is his complaining about the "non-contact" with people. There are many other ways to connect with people, outside of working. Spend time with family, friends, volunteer, get active in your church, join groups. Maybe that is one advantage of being an introvert.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
filling my day with menial tasks and chores like vacuuming, cleaning the house, tending to the yard, etc. doesn't sound like a terribly exciting retirement to me. Anyone out there with a great retirement story?
For us, it hasn't been a year yet, so I'll have to get back to ya on that one. However, if the future holds anything like what a long strange trip it's been so far, we're looking forward to quite a few....
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I guess I am a bit anxious about FIREing, yes. Although I am financially independent, I find it difficult to make the jump. Was planning to FIRE in July but now it seems I am having second thoughts. Maybe I am not ready, not sure how to do it yet.
HowStuffWorks "How to Retire Early"

How To Retire Early - Forbes.com

How to retire early as done by common folks

These probably aren't what you meant by "not sure how to do it yet," and there's certainly more than one way, in the parlance of our times, to stuff a burrito [insert pithy synonymous phrase here].

I think -- perhaps -- in your case, a first step might be to adopt the mindset that you're going to do it. Then follow through.

Tyro
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Do you want to read about great retirement stories, or do you want to get out there and create your own?
Good point, and there's much to be said for doing just that. OTOH, the greatest creative minds in the world learned from, and were inspired by, the accomplishments and stories of others. It's all good.

Tyro
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm on the cusp of 50, and I know there is so much I could do when I ER. Over the years, my so-called social-life at MegaCorp has gotten worse compared to early in career. So, that's not holding me back.

It is the tech industry, and most of the people are from the other side the world. Their interests are completely opposite. Yeah, it was fun going out and playing cricket one time, but it isn't something I want to make a passion out of. Likewise, I don't think they enjoyed the softball game we cooked up. I'm starting to think that one of the major reasons I want to ER is to change back to a more familiar social circle.

So, when I ER there are so many things I can do:
  • Start cooking again, including some fancy meals
  • Vacuum more than 1x per month
  • Volunteer for stuff. So much I could do at church and community. (Meet new people.)
  • Garden more
  • Walk to the store to get groceries
  • Stop and talk to other neighbors walking around, I don't know them today, but they are my neighbors for heaven's sake.
  • Sleep in
  • Manage my finances. The exercises I've done here show I've let them get away from me.
  • Wash the car more than 2x per year
  • And so much more...
We were on the road last weekend, and I overheard a 50-somethings couple next to us say: "She said that retirement has been great. She's had no problem with the time. The minutia of daily life keeps here busy, and she can't understand how she ever did it while working". My guess was they are considering it and pondering what to do in the next step.
+1

I'm slightly older than you, and getting ready to make a change (more on that in a month or so). There is a long list of things I'd like to do, some of them "one time" things, others are new hobbies to pick up. I may need a guitar for Christmas lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why would you choose only menial tasks and chores for yourself, once you retire? <snip> I DESERVE to have some fun and enjoy it.

What you specifically enjoy is going to be different for every individual. <snip>
+1 Well said!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

He complains about the non-contact with people in retirement. According to this, 41% of American adults don't work. Seems like a pretty big pool of possible friends for anyone looking hard enough.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I had a job that filled my day with menial tasks like department-head meetings, e-mail, zone inspections, performance reports, budget planning, VIP tours, regional consolidation, personnel counseling... can you tell that I was in an instructor billet? No, I couldn't either.

I don't enjoy cleaning the house (let alone vacuuming) or yardwork but I love home improvement, surfing, writing, reading, blogging, traveling...

Actually I'm not retired yet. Well... I guess you can say I'm semi retired. I've cut my work week down to 28 hours a week and I work out of the house. Right now I'm trying to picture what it might be like for me to be fully retired, and I can't get a handle on how that would look. Some of the things folks here are sharing don't exactly do it for me.... not to say that's not a great way to enjoy retirement, it just isn't for me right now. Part of it could be because I'm still a young 49.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Right now I'm trying to picture what it might be like for me to be fully retired, and I can't get a handle on how that would look. Some of the things folks here are sharing don't exactly do it for me.... not to say that's not a great way to enjoy retirement, it just isn't for me right now. Part of it could be because I'm still a young 49.
Here, you young whippersnapper, jumpstart your creativity with this:
Retirement Planning Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor: The Get-a-Life Tree: A Great Retirement Planning Tool!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #33

Since I'm not yet retired, one could easily assume that I've not yet figured out how. But I will say that the BS bucket learning curve has gotten fuller/heavier steeper and this has accelerated in the past few months. We'll see what the next few months bring.

R
Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #34

Easier said than done, Tyro. Not easy giving up on a job that pays hundreds of thousands of $ a year, with a high status and everything that comes with it. I also consider it a privilege to serve patients who sometimes face very difficult situations.

I will FIRE, but not sure when. I hope keeping reading this website gives me strength when the decision comes to make the jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
I think -- perhaps -- in your case, a first step might be to adopt the mindset that you're going to do it. Then follow through.

Tyro
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Easier said than done, Tyro. Not easy giving up on a job that pays hundreds of thousands of $ a year, with a high status and everything that comes with it. I also consider it a privilege to serve patients who sometimes face very difficult situations.

I will FIRE, but not sure when. I hope keeping reading this website gives me strength when the decision comes to make the jump.
I didn't mean to imply it would be easy or cut & dried, but when it all boils down, that's essentially what it comes to.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts. I'm a dentist and I love what I do (for the most part). I especially get great personal fulfillment knowing that I helped make a positive difference in the lives of my patients.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #37

If you guys are getting that kind of fullfillment, then, pardon my asking, but why do/would you WANT to RE? It may not be the best life path for everyone.

Tyro
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

RVing is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I dunno. I thought RV'ing was fun, but one can always have too much of a good thing.
+1
RVing is fun, but we call it vacation. We always come back 'home' after 2 or 3 months of traveling each year and regroup. Some people argue that we are always on vacation since we are retired; we are not. There is so much to do at home and yes we sleep in now and then, just because we can.
This year, when we got back from RV trip to Canada, we flew to Cancun for a week with our daughter and family. Life is good - FI helps to keep it so.
hang out and watch the Pelicans...
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

hang out and watch the Pelicans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I love to take a boat ride on a calm day and just do nothing but hang out and watch the Pelicans. I love my coworkers (who treat me way better than I deserve), but I would be happy to never walk through the hospital doors again. That's why I keep reading this forum...gives me hope.
Sounds like you ARE ready.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #40

As one of those professionals whose job gives me status and repeated satisfaction that I am making a positive difference in people's lives along with a very nice amount of $$$ to do this job, I will say that the reason I want to RE is that it is not enough to make up for what the job takes.

STRESS and TIME

The latter is not replaceable and the former makes what time I have so unpleasant that getting out of bed to go to work is a daily struggle....but the end is in sight. I am one step closer and expect to join the class of 2013...at the very end of 2013, so almost 2014, I guess.