Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
We just moved from East TN, and it's a wonderful place. We returned to the SF Bay Area because that's where our closest friends and lots of wonderful memories are located. Were it not for the life long friends we have out here in SF, downtown Knoxville would be our location of choice; we loved it there.

So, about our new location:

1. Where are you living? (state): Sausalito, CA.

2. Is there snow?: Nope, never as far as I know.

OMG, Sausalito is glorious. You might get a bit of snow on nearby Mt Tam, you can go visit it if you're so inclined, but I doubt you'll ever get any in Sausalito proper.

Enjoy living in paradise!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Calgary, Canada. We love it in the summer. We travel in the winter to warmer climes. Expect to do this if and until we find a place where we want to buy a second home. So far, the only places that have any attraction to us involve long plane rides across oceans.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Calgary, Canada. We love it in the summer. We travel in the winter to warmer climes. Expect to do this if and until we find a place where we want to buy a second home. So far, the only places that have any attraction to us involve long plane rides across oceans.

Same as Brett. Born and raised Calgarian. Summers are wonderful and you never know what winter will bring but at least we have Chinooks in the winter which makes it more bearable!

Brett - which part of town do you live in? We're on the West side so we can be in Banff in about an hour :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Same as Brett. Born and raised Calgarian. Summers are wonderful and you never know what winter will bring but at least we have Chinooks in the winter which makes it more bearable!
The things I learn here - when I hear "Chinook" I always thought of the people or the Boeing helicopter. I didn't know it was a wind too.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The things I learn here - when I hear "Chinook" I always thought of the people or the Boeing helicopter. I didn't know it was a wind too.

Yes, Chinooks are quite the phenomenon if you didn't grow up in Calgary. I remember being a kid and a decent Chinook would raise the temperature by 20C or more. You could tell who the locals were because we'd be in t-shirts and shorts in the middle of winter 😜.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Calgary_girl knows, Calgary is one of my favorite places in the world. More sunny days than any city in North America than I know of.
The Chinook Arch over the mountains I will remember along with the Aurora in Ft Mac.
We know the Chinook winds west of the mountains as well (Portland and Seattle).
I remember a February in Cowtown when the snow did not melt, it simply evaporated (sublimed). When do you ever see that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
for a reason...low crime

one of my friends doesn't lock his house or cars...even when they are out of town
Where do they live?

Seriously, I'm married to one of the few natives and almost a native myself, and growth is showing its pains. Infrastructure was not set up for all the influx, and we're slow to adapt. And, oh, yeah, hate the politics. Certainly isn't the sleepy college town we loved back when. OBTW, not exactly an airlines hub so expect expensive & convoluted flights in & out of here.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpy View Post
Where do they live?

Seriously, I'm married to one of the few natives and almost a native myself, and growth is showing its pains. Infrastructure was not set up for all the influx, and we're slow to adapt. And, oh, yeah, hate the politics. Certainly isn't the sleepy college town we loved back when. OBTW, not exactly an airlines hub so expect expensive & convoluted flights in & out of here.
highlands - lots of retirees here

flying is a pita but we don't travel that much

there is a direct flight to iah now which helps
Old 05-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
Yes, Chinooks are quite the phenomenon if you didn't grow up in Calgary. I remember being a kid and a decent Chinook would raise the temperature by 20C or more. You could tell who the locals were because we'd be in t-shirts and shorts in the middle of winter 😜.

Chinooks can be amazing. Spearfish SD holds the record for the largest temperature change in the shortest period of time. from 4 below F to 49 above in 2 minutes.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
1. Washington State.
2. Very little where we live, but cloudy and light rain common.
3. We grew up here, but after living and visiting many other places including in Europe, never saw anywhere else that suited us better. What is left of family is within a few hundred miles of us but that was not an issue. We have ocean, mountains large and small, desert not far, Seattle and Vancouver, BC nearby, very moderate weather, great scenery, no varmints and no income tax. Also inexpensive for us. When we lived in Chicago, we always figured these were the folks who were not smart enough to stay on the wagon train. Also, top notch health care. Shopping is so good, shoppers down from Canada (Welcome to 'the Lower Mainland!') crowd the stores. Where we are has amusements enough for us. Be aware that WA State is hostile to small business (despite their vigorous protestations).
4. Housing not bad. $300k will buy a nice little house in town but will be less in the county. RE taxes about $2,800 on $330,000 house. Sales taxes a little over 8% (TANSTAAFL).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Above is number 2 a close second. I was 26 before I really internalized that Yakima was NOT on the outskirts of Brooklyn. Visit my Sister/BIL on the Olympic Peninsula once or twice a year.

Kansas City. Born again flatlander. Learning to love snow -some. Head to the Texas Gulf or a New Orleans visit once or twice in the winter.

Heh heh heh - Ya think having a new wife born in MO who spent entire career in KC has any influence?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymama View Post
  1. Where are you living? (state)
  2. Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
  3. why do you love your location?
  4. Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.
1. Central Illinois
2. Yes, but the road crews are equipped to handle it here. We've managed to avoid ice storms the past few years.
3. I am still working and this is where my job and family are located. I like the 4 seasons, but could do without the heat and humidity of July/August. Big cities are 2-3 hours away. Central time zone is the best!
4. My property taxes are $2500 on $120k home. Sales tax is 7.75% (State + local) and income tax is 3.75% this year. But, my parents have been retired for 25 years here. Their property taxes were frozen at age 65 ($250 when we sold the house) and they haven't paid income tax in years, so comparing costs for workers versus retirees is key.

I am enjoying this thread too. Of the places in the US that I've visited, I've always thought that Monterey, CA was the most beautiful. Not sure that I could afford to live there in retirement. I'd like to chime in on Boise. I lived there for 4 years in the mid-90s. At that time Boise was experiencing growing pains with lots of California "migrants" driving up property values. I liked Boise, but did not like that it wasn't very close to anywhere else. If outdoor activities are part of your retirement dreams, then Boise should be on your short list of places to live because the mountains and desert are just minutes from town. But, if you want to do some traveling, I think there are better home bases. I can't imagine that Boise is all that cheap either.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Went to the Lyle Lovett/Kansas City Symphony 10th Flint Hill now National Tall Prairre - wife loved it. Complete with Cowboys cattle and Covered Wagons a sets on the side.

heh heh heh - Wife loved it. Not a total flatlander yet! But -
Old 06-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymama View Post
Where are you living? (state)
Is there snow? lol -- hoping never to see snow again when I retire
why do you love your location?
Is it expensive (taxes, etc.) housing costs, etc.

1. Southern CA
2. No snow ... and after living all over the country and growing up in snow country interior New England/northeast DW is 100% done with snow. Ok to visit, but small doses only! We love the beach/ocean and the laid back lifestyle. People are pretty casual and so long as we avoid rush hour on the freeway, it's great. Plus where we live now,we can walk, bike or skateboard to most things we need on a regular basis.
3. Yes, in some ways, but not all ways you might think. Housing costs more here than in many places, but that's the same on either coast of the US. Utilities and taxes are lower here than many places we have lived, and fresh produce is relatively cheap too. Plenty of fun, free things to do outdoors - in and on the water/beach/adjacent bike paths.