Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you mow?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
1/40th of an acre. It would be embarrassing to hire somebody else to do it.
With scissors...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
1/40th of an acre. It would be embarrassing to hire somebody else to do it.
Wow! Is that how much grass/yard you have or the size of the land your house sits on? That equates to 1100 square feet. Most folks houses in the US wouldn't physically fit on that piece of land at all (my rather modest house certainly wouldn't!). Of course land where you are might be 10x-100x as valuable as land where I am.

I probably wouldn't even break a sweat mowing that size yard.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1/3 of an acre. Bought a 20 inch John Deere self-propelled 11 years ago

However, still works, has had only 3 tune-ups, runs like a "Deere".........

It takes me 75 minutes to mow the whole thing.....not a lot of time..........

1/3 of an acre is NOTHING to mow..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

5 acres, with only one acre mowed and/or trimmed.

For the first 10-12 weeks of the season (March - May), I mow only a very small area allowing the blooming weeds wildflowers to seed before cutting them. This reduces the number of times I have to mow each season by 50% since little grows around here in the heat of the summer - and I don't water anything but the plants around the house foundation.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

2/3 of an acre. DH and I share mowing.

About half the neighbors have a service and half mow their own. Of those who mow, all have large riding mowers. I find these silly for this amount of land. They are difficult to store, seem to break often, are very heavy and difficult to load into the van/truck to take to the repair shop, and are more costly to fix.

We have a good, but basic self-propelled mulching mower that is a walk behind (and a steep slope in one part of the front the yard that is a challenge even with self-propelled and which would make a riding mower very scary).
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had 1/2 acre to mow since 1977. For the first 28 years, I was one of only two families on the block that mowed their own lawn. Two years ago, my wife persuaded me to turn it over to my nephew at a cost of $25 per cut. In a year or so, he's off to college so I'll be back to mowing very shortly. Hopefully, by then I'll have a lot more free time to do it!!

Quick cost analysis: Professional lawn mowing in our area costs $35 to $40 per week times 25 cuts per season equals $875 to $1,000. At a 28% tax bracket, your pre-tax cost is $1,215 to $1,389 per year. That means you would have to devote more than $30,000 of your portfolio just to cutting the grass!!!
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #27

Quote:
At a 28% tax bracket, your pre-tax cost is $1,215 to $1,389 per year. That means you would have to devote more than $30,000 of your portfolio just to cutting the grass!!!
... which brings me back to
Quote:
don't water, don't fertilize, don't grow, don't mow.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got 12 acres - about 5 need mowing - I bought a tow behind mower w/ a 54 inch swath. I pull it w/ my quad.....it is kinda fun and it looks great/smells great when it is done. My wife thinks I'm playing when I mow
Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #29

I have about 1/4 acre that I mow with a Toro self-propelled 22" mulching 'push' mower. Also have a small Sears rider that I run around once in a great while just to collect grass clippings for the compost pile. Of course the house, garage, and garden shed take up a nice chunk of the yard. I also have a large composting site (5' x 10') near the back by the garage. Also have SEVERAL gardens scattered all over the yard...mostly perennials and small shrubs......and I'm adding another 200 sq.ft. shade garden this year. So I really don't have a lot to mow....it takes me about 45 minutes to mow, and about once a month I trip with a weed-eater.

Mowing, gardening, yard work, etc. is like therapy for me.....VERY relaxing!!! I love it!!!

As a matter of fact that's the kind of stuff I'm really looking forward to doing when I'm FIRE'd! I love outdoor stuff like that. I've even talked to a couple of the neighbors and may help them with their yards and gardens, too.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

For 1/3 of an acre, you should be able to get a used lawn mower for under $80. I just gave mine away on Freecycle. I had bought it 10 years ago for $15 and it never failed to work perfectly (electric).

I am converting my lawn over to something else. Just have to find something that will grow in the shade with too much water and pine needles on it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, English Ivy is a good choice. Can you improve the drainage at all so the roots will dry out periodically? Vinca is another nice groundcover. Depends a bit on your zone.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #32

I'm leaning towards doing it myself. It's just that I'm sick of buying crap. It's been two months since we moved in and I can't go a week without dropping a couple hundred $$$ on something else for the house.

That being said, I am a sworn Hondaphile so if I do buy that will be it. (I do dream about being able to use a Deere tractor though)

Check out this baby
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Lawn service would run about $60 a month.
$60 a month in a wealthy suburb where no one does their own lawn is downright cheap. Are you sure the quote wasn't $60 a week?

For a $60 a month I'd hire the service in about 2 seconds and spend my weekends playing golf.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #34
Administrator

Unless it's raining, I mow my 1/3 acre every Saturday morning from late April to mid-July, then about once per month until November. I find it to be relaxing.

We got the cheapest 20" push mower that Home Depot had 15 years ago (I think it was about $100) and have used it ever since. I change the oil and filter about every other year. I have replaced the blade once. You don't really need to spend a lot on a mower. For most people it is more a question of time.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
don't water, don't fertilize, don't grow, don't mow.
or get one of those wild flower yards...but something tells me the area that OP is going to be living in wont allow it...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
$60 a month in a wealthy suburb where no one does their own lawn is downright cheap. Are you sure the quote wasn't $60 a week?
Sorry, it's $30 a mow. I was hoping to get by having it cut twice a month. We have a lot of shade, so hopefully the grass isn't going to grow that fast.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #37

I mow, but use a mulching mower, so the whole 1/5 acre takes maybe 20
minutes once every 2-4 weeks. 19 years of this means my yard have a nice
spongy feel when walked on. I have never fertilized or watered, but my
neighbors water so much that most of my lawn is green all summer anyway,
and turns all green after any rain. About once a year after a good rain, I
distribute a bag of grass seed across my lawn, mainly to fill in the holes left
by my 'weeding' (I use RoundUp).
Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T-Al, English Ivy is a good choice. Can you improve the drainage at all so the roots will dry out periodically? Vinca is another nice groundcover.
Thanks, yes, I'd choose ivy, but it's frowned upon around here because it escapes into the forest, competes with native plants, and strangles trees and small animals.

I think that if I can help the pine needles in their efforts to kill all the plants, I can get that nice brown forest floor effect.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Sorry, it's $30 a mow.
OK - that makes more sense.

Quote:
I was hoping to get by having it cut twice a month. We have a lot of shade, so hopefully the grass isn't going to grow that fast.
You may be able to get by with twice a month in the heat of summer. But in the spring, I think you will find that it will need cutting at least once a week, maybe every 4 or 5 days, depending on the rainfall.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lawn service would run about $60 a month.
$60 a month for a 2/3 acre lawn? Take it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote