Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do you mow?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IOW, $7,200 over the next ten years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We have five acres, but most of it is vegetable and flower gardens, pond, second growth fir and hemlock with a small grass yard for the dogs. I LOVE to mow the yard and work in the garden and my greenhouse. It was a great way to relax when I was working and it's one of the best parts of being FIRED.

I've mowed yard several times this spring. It's very relaxing and one of the easiest things you can do to make the place look nice.

Perhaps you could rent or borrow a mower and see if you like it. If you hate it you might be ahead to pay the money to have someone else do it and you do something you enjoy. After all, isn't that what its all about?

DW and I are off to have some steamers for lunch at a little place on the Sound and then off to a nursery to pick up some plants. And then, it looks like maybe I should mow the yard!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an acre to mow. When travelling I would hire the landscaping service at about $20-25/visit. Sometimes, depending on rainfall, they would show up 3- 5 times a month. For that I got:

Fairly good cut. However they often went so fast the the grass got scalped on the turns.

The dope with the weed-wacker nearly killed a couple of expensive red maple ornamentals.

I figure I'm paying top dollar and deserve a top job... didn't get it. Now I mow it myself and enjoy it. I packed my big hearing protectors with a set of earbuds and now I enjoy DW's iPod while mowing. When I'm traveling, my SIL or neighbor cuts it for me. I don't care if they scalp.

Check that off the list! 8)

Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #44
Administrator

My 1600 square foot house stands on a 50x100 city lot. I mowed for the first couple of years, but the humidity in New Orleans really got to me.

A friend told me her husband would mow it for $20/mow, so I hired him. He was unreliable and not very good. I fired him (gently) in 2004.

At that point I hired Frank's yard man for $30/mow (probably the highest price around here for a city lot). He does a wonderful job and is there like clockwork. He is a deserving older man with a great attitude, whose home sat in 13 feet of water from Katrina for weeks. Even so, after the storm he was back mowing happily as soon as people were permitted back in the Parish. As if that wasn't enough, he gutted his home at night, repaired, and renovated it, all before most people were even back and before there was any electricity in that neighborhood. That impressed me a lot.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #45

I have 3 acres with about 3500 sq. ft. of lawn. No one can see the house or lawn from the street so some dry summer months I mow every 3 weeks. Now leaf season is another story. At some point as I age (if I stay in this home) I'll start to bid out services. First will be spring cleanup then fall leaf season and finally mowing.

I think condo maintenance fee's around here are $250/300 a month and up. So I think I can get pretty much all the regular stuff done for less.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #46

DW does the mowing.

We had a yard service but they didn't do what we wanted them to. We stopped them when they pulled out a rosebush while weeding a flower bed.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

During HS I cut people's lawns. Most lots were 1/4 acre and I charged $15/week which included mowing, edging, and trimming. I must have been cheap because most people paid me $20. I was happy because I figured that I had a $20/hr job in HS.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Mowed the first two years after moving, then found a mowing service for under $16 a week, if I pay for the full season up front. Working twelve hour days, the LAST thing I want to do after w*rk is mow the lawn, especially if it's 110F outside...
"working twelve hour days" doesn't sound like Early Retired. Here in the midwest, grass doesn't grow very much in 110F temperatures (or somewhat less--I do very little mowing in July/August).
Old 04-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasttense
"working twelve hour days" doesn't sound like Early Retired. Here in the midwest, grass doesn't grow very much in 110F temperatures (or somewhat less--I do very little mowing in July/August).
It's not...

Yet...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #50

We pay $32 per cut for our 1 acre lot. Problem is they come weekly whether or not the lawn needs mowing. August here you might cut twice all month ... but he comes 5 times . He has labor to pay for ... .

At the lake I bought a $60 used mower that starts on the first pull .... even if I had to buy one every year that's OK. Not much to mow there.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We have 22 acres and maybe 1-2 of it is mowed. We take turns on the riding mower, but usually I mow and Dh does the trimming.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
We pay $32 per cut for our 1 acre lot. Problem is they come weekly whether or not the lawn needs mowing. August here you might cut twice all month ... but he comes 5 times . He has labor to pay for ... .

At the lake I bought a $60 used mower that starts on the first pull .... even if I had to buy one every year that's OK. Not much to mow there.
That's sort of what I'm worried about. I never like giving people freedom to charge me to will. I had this problem with my plow guy. My FIL signed me up with his plow guy which at $20 a plow is supposed to be a great deal. It turned out that it snowed 6-7 times in February here. Every time a single flurry hit the ground this guy was out plowing which pissed me off.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #53

yeah, the mower and plower are the same guy! He was taking a bath this year (no snow) sooo when we FINALLY got 6 inches ... he plowed TWICE!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

2.5 acres, maybe one third in trees and housing, using a riding mower. We never mow it all at once, just bits and pieces as we have time or interest.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We could have renamed our place DunMowin'. About three years ago, I took a small rototiller and dug up the always failing grass, over the whole front lawn. Went to the local park and got carfull after carfull of nice decomposed compost for free. Rototilled it in, over and over. Added a cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer. We planted Sweet Woodruff, in plugs given to us by DW's folks. I thought to stand the lawn mower up on its handle, weld it shut, and paint it pink, but decided it was too much trouble. We leave the dead leaves on the ground over the autumn and winter, thus, free mulch. This summer, I expect to make some hypertufa blocks, and put in a couple of low 'stone' walls. Maybe put up a homemade 'word-sculpture,' saying "Up To No Good!" That is, if I decide to get off the maxi-scooter I ride whenever possible.

I like grass ... on someone else's lawn.

The RETIRED REPROBATE;
A free-thinking Quaker DINK on FIRE;
Riding the DEMON DUCK of DOOM maxi-scooter:

Rep.ro.bate
N – A morally unprincipled person; one who is predestined to damnation.
Adj – Morally unprincipled; shameless; rejected by God and without hope of Salvation.
Syn – vicious; bad man; disapproved; sinner.

“If you believe me an Agent-of-Satan – do not approve of what I say or write – are offended by what I do – then you are politely invited to go pound sand in a rat-hole!”
Old 04-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #56

i sodded the place when i first bought but year after year i added more trees and shrubs and now the entire property is gardens with trails running through it. the plants are happy, the birds are happy, the possum & raccoons and squirrels are happy and i'm happy to not have to bother maintaining a lawn.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #57

I don't mow any mow.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
I don't mow any mow.
Since you are now living in the South, that should be, "I don't mow no mo."

Yo.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #59

Sorry, I lost my head.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #60

Mowed my own for years, but allergies & sinuses/respiratory infections got to be a serious problem, so for the past 2 years I've been paying $25 a pop to get it done. My lot is 65 X 135 feet, so not too big. When I did it, mowing, edging/trimming & blowing took about 1 1/2 hr. Sadly, my lawn guy told me last week he's moving on, so I decided to try it myself again. Got allergy testing done, started taking 2 shots a week & meds night & day. Now, my HONDA mower that looks just like the one saluki9 posted a pic of, that I paid $500 for about 4 yrs ago & used only two season, will not start and has developed a transmission problem. ( It's a 3 speed). So now, it's sitting in a repair shop, and I hate to see what the bill is gonna look like. Meantime, my grass is looking kinda shaggy. :

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote