Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For some things I buy brand name, others not.

Yesterday I was working on building a bathroom open vanity and used sand paper that came with my sander to sand it. The sand paper lasted on average 1-2 minutes before tearing apart. Didn't think too much of it, thought it was due to the slats in the design of the vanity. Once all the 60 grit samples were consumed, I brought out some 3M sand paper 60 grit sand paper. This paper did not tear at all and 10 minutes later I had finished sanding that grit. I threw out the rest of the free sand paper that came with the sander and brought out some more 3M brand sand paper and finished the job without any torn sand paper.

In this case, brand name clearly mattered.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

The last time were were buying allergy meds we held up two packages to the pharmacist. One was a store brand, the other a well recognized, well advertised brand. Asked the pharmacist the difference....his comment was 'about $9 and they are identical from the same manufacturer'.
Any chance there are different quality acceptance standards?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #23

I think walmart, sams and costco do a good job on generics. Other stores I am not so sure. I think it depends heavy on the store you are in and not the fact it is generic.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

For most stuff I go with the house brand, particularly Kirkland at Costco. Better prices and often better quality. I recently picked up a pair of Kirkland shorts that beat all the similar shorts I had seen earlier in the week at Macy's.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

A little trivia..

Years ago, I was in Puerto Rico at a tuna canning plant doing an engineering project. To better understand this, the plant was owned by Bumble Bee and they can for many brands under contract (hey, tuna is tuna! - not really).

I was talking with the Production Manager about sorting by quality before retorting (cooking) the cans and who gets the "best" grade of tuna. He said that the Kirkland cans were given the highest quality of the various tuna grades (Costco!).

Oh, BTW, ALL the tuna goes into some salable product, which includes the guts, fins, scales, bones, etc. And the tuna fish arrive at the plant in a completely frozen state prior to processing.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends....typically our first go too is Name Brand if..... it's made in USA....

We want to buy American when we can, and don't mind paying more for a good quality product.

Key is Quality..... I will admit that we do buy foreign items based on our assessment of quality.

But if we can buy American - we do and glad to spend any extra to do so....

It is not easy to do this...... makes me sad to see

But thats just me...... YMMV
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I use generic if they're as good. Kroger Private Selection thick bacon is much thinner than Farmlands.

Years ago I worked in auto parts. Walker mufflers and pipes were a premium brand. We received Walker pipes from the factory with NAPA, Sears, Kmart labels. Same pipes different labels. Of course we had to remove the other brand labels cause we sold Walker pipes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #28

I've always used for chicken. About a year ago I needed some, but they were out. I bought the Cub Foods generic & found I liked it better than the 'original'
Better taste & 40.00% cheaper!

But that's not to say I use generic for everything. I insist on 3M scrub sponges, scotch tape, etc (I also own 3M stock)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I go for value. I prefer name brands but if a generic is nearly same quality for a lower price, I'll try it and decide. I almost never found an Aldi product that disappointed me (e.g. I could tell by looking if it was worth trying). If you haven't been to Aldi lately, you'd be surprised how many name brands they carry. Also generic, store brand, and name brand can all be distinct levels of quality/value. Or not.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I have some insight into consumer packaged goods industries: food, coffee, cosmetics, etc.
I can tell you with certain products like meat, the packager of the name brand is exactly the same as the store brand. Honey is the same way. Coffee is sometimes as well, though you might get a less expensive bean blend with the store brand.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I shop primarily at Wegman's. They are almost all store brand and I don't think it's as good. If something sells in the name brand, a few months later, up pops a house brand and then no more name brand.

I only care what other people do because of this. I lose the ability to buy what I want because Wegman's caters to what the most people want to do, of course.
I shop Wegmans too but I don't see that isdue. I'll usually buy Wegmans toilet paper but splurge on the one with a Bear on the package. They carry store brand cereal that I like but if there's a coupon for a Post or GM they have that too.
I don't see anything but store brands at Aldi's though.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #32

I've found that very often I can't tell the difference, and in some cases the store brand is actually better than the name brand, as with Kleenex tissues and the Martin's/Giant store brand. Decades ago the Giant brand powdered iced tea mix was better than Nestle's, at least to my taste, but I haven't seen that on the shelf in quite a while.

Sometimes the products are the same. Talking with a lady at the grocery store, she said her brother worked in a canning factory and he told her the products were often identical and all they did was change labels - store brand, Green Giant, etc.

So for me I'll try the store brand at least once. True, there are sometimes dramatic differences in quality but often not, and sometimes the store brand is even better. Says I while munching on Martin's store brand potato chips. YMMV.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

On the other hand—millennials do love a lot of name brands per this article: Millennials favorite brands - Business Insider (50 top brands with millennials, not a click-through article but ranked 50 to 1: top five in reverse order are Amazon, Target, Samsung, Nike, and Apple)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #34

Yep, all depends on the product. I'll take Wal-Mart canned tomatoes/vegetables over paying around double for the Del Monte etc versions of the same stuff. I'll buy Velveeta over there knock-off any day though.

I'll try store brand items if the price difference is significant over-time, and then I'll stick with them if the quality is there too.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #35

As we've gotten older, and frankly more financially comfortable, I tend to buy more name brand items. I get cluster headaches, and wow Excedrin is a virtual miracle drug for me. I suspect generic brand would do the same, but these headaches are so debilitating that I won't take a chance. Similarly, we prefer name brands for other OTC medications. Because we need them rarely, I see no reason to skimp.
Over the years we have found real differences in name brands for food/soda/paper products that we also eschew store brands.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Seems most of us are the same: depends on the product.

I do find that with grocery stores so competitive in this area, you have many many choices and prices.

In my immediate area, I can ( and do) conveniently shop at all of these:

Wal-Mart
SAM'S
Costco
Safeway
Giant
Wegmans
Food Lion
Aldi
LIDL (newest and some really good values)
Trader Joe
Harris Teeter
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
One place where I always stick with the name brand is my diet cola addiction. I've rarely found a store or generic brand that tastes as good. So instead I shop the "buy two get three free" type sales. And then add to the wall of 12 packs in my garage.
I agree here! There is no substitute for A & W Diet Root Beer that even comes close.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #38

My dad drive a semi for a grocery distributor. One of his stops was at the Lay’s potato chip plant. He was given a tour one day. While on the tour, the packaging line stopped briefly while the bags were changed from “Lay’s” to “Wegmans” potato chips. Absolutely no difference in the product.

I shop mostly at Costco and Wegmans, and use many of their store-brand items. Where I don’t, it’s because I’ve tried the store brand and found it lacking somehow.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
My dad drive a semi for a grocery distributor. One of his stops was at the Lay’s potato chip plant. He was given a tour one day. While on the tour, the packaging line stopped briefly while the bags were changed from “Lay’s” to “Wegmans” potato chips. Absolutely no difference in the product.
And of course, that practice applies to hundreds of products.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was a kid, I went on a factory tour. We watched as vegetables were put in cans and happened to see the end of one run for the name brand and then the next cans (with the same vegetables inside) got house brand labels put on them. Never forgot it and frequently use house brands. It does seem that now there is a lower level. Around here Best Choice products are usually fine, but Always Save seems like a lower quality.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote