Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
.... I'd gladly pay 5 times what I pay for TT - it's just that valuable to me.
Intuit here.... where should we send the revised invoice?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #102

I've used TT for about 20 years (or more)... I used to get a disk from dad (he'd make copies)... then I started buying my own. I often did roommates taxes also, since I had the program already.

Now I also do my MIL's taxes... Pretty simple - DH has all the financial info as he's her financial guardian. (BIL is guardian of person). She's down to SS, RMDs and a small federal pension.... But at 92, almost 93... you wouldn't expect complicated taxes.

This year I'll add my younger son's taxes to my to-do list. He's been working part time since 2 weeks after he got his drivers license. Only complication might be that he gets social security (minor of a parent collecting) and his income will make some of that taxable, I think.

Older son is a college student who has yet to get a job (despite firm, loudly voiced, encouragement.) So no taxes yet for him.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Old 09-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Well, maybe not THAT valuable. I tend to look for a coupon even when it first comes out. Usually I can get $10 off, but probably still pay more than if I waited a few months.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

We have what is (to me, anyway) quite a complicated tax situation (K1's, LLC, rental properties, mortgage notes, real estate syndications, LTD partnerships, etc), and I've found a wonderful lady that can make sense of the chaos. It takes me a several days to compile all the information needed, so I put it into a spreadsheet. I then meet at her office and she does our return (business, personal, state) right there, asking me questions along the way.
Took her about 3 hours this year, but when she was finished it was all done. I signed the returns and she electronically filed it. Charged me $600 which to me is a bargain!
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Tried using Turbo Tax for many years, and the taxes were too complicated for it to handle - until last year. Doing them with TT going forward (hopefully). We may have to use a CPA one year in the future due to the potential sale of a multi-use property that had a residential 1031 go into it. TT doesn't like things that are too far out of the norm....
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

I've always done my own. Many years ago, I remember going to the federal building downtown every year to get all the paper forms. Switched to TT a couple of ~decades ago and never looked back. IMO, TT is worth many times it's cost even considering all the price increases and misleading product switches they have had/made in the past.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #108

I have done ours and our sons for many years now using Tax Act. But this year we sold our home and we are currently renting a house until my husband retires the end of the year. Plus we are having a little house built in NH and will be moving after the first when it’s done. We will then be living off our savings as well. A lot of changes in a short period of time. So I am going to have someone do ours for 2019 because I just won’t be able to handle
everything. Then I will take it back in a couple of years if I think I can.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

To me, the hard part of taxes, is getting all the paperwork saved info, together. Once everything is gathered, of course I do my own taxes! Always have..and in last 10plus years it's extra easy with using turbo tax. Turbo saves all prior years. Love it..and I'm weird, I love doing my taxes..looking up laws, rules..playing the game. Love it.
Glad to see so many others that do their own taxes!
2retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #110
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
TurboTax. I don't care how much it costs.
Me too.
valsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an accountant prepare our S corp taxes and then I do our personal taxes. Have done my own taxes for 35 years either on paper or started using turbotax when that came out.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
TurboTax. I don't care how much it costs.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #113
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've aways done my own since the mid-60s. In the old days, I knew what all the percentages, limits, rolloff points, etc, were as the applied to my situation. With TT, I don't know those things anymore, I just turn the crank. I still read up on tax procedures, and try to do a sanity check on my completed returns, but I don't feel as confident in the sanity check as I used to. And mistakes are easy. For 2017 I checked the wrong box for the withholding from my RMD on the TT page and raised my tax bills by about $4,000, which I didn't find until I was reviewing before preparing the 2018 returns. Schedule X's for fed and state were needed to correct the error. If I had done the taxes by hand, I probably would have noticed that the total tax already paid didn't make any sense and fixed it the first time. Oh well.

I also do the taxes for DD and SIL, and the grandkids. It is interesting to see IRS and TT's improvements from year to year. A few years ago, to compute kiddy tax required that all grandkids' forms and their parents' form had to be open on the screen at the same time. Last year, each form could be completed by itself. (Dear GD's total tax was $1 to the state-- no federal at all. Her older brother, who had received more total money from Granddad but was invested differently, paid nothing.)
ARW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Turbo tax charging full price every year is one of the great marketing scores of all time. I expected to only pay a fee to upgrade each year. It’s not like they rewrite the whole thing every year. TaxCut OTOH is priced much lower, meets my needs very well, so I don’t mind.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #115
Dryer sheet wannabe

Do my own taxes & lots of others, as a volunteer with AARP Tax Aide. IRS provides the software & we are IRS certified preparers after passing a test. I encourage others to give this a shot. Info can be found on the AARP web site.
t49eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ve always done my own, manually when I was young and stupid, but I’ve used TurboTax for 15-20 years IIRC. Like most, my tax situation is a little (not a lot) more complex now than years ago so TT saves me lots of time, and it’s handy for projecting this years taxes most years too (unless there’s a radical change in IRS rules). I buy TT at Costco at a good discount every Feb or thereabouts.
+1
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #117

I don't. I could, but my husband has a business, and he wants me to deduct things that I think are kind of iffy (or that I happen to know are not legal). I dislike arguing about this. We have a good CPA who isn't afraid to tell him what's what. When DH retires, I'll resume doing our taxes with TurboTax.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.

switched from paper to quicken and tt in early 90's. never looked back.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #119
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been using a CPA since the late 80s. They've always referred me to another CPA when they retire or move and then transfer records electronically. When I FIRED I thought I would switch to doing my own taxes again but then I encountered some very complicated tax years due to inheriting properties, etc. It was worth every penny having a professional handle that stuff. I've grown to appreciate being able to call someone I know I can trust when I have tax-related question, so I don't anticipate that I'll start doing my own taxes again.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
I have been filing taxes on my own since I started paying taxes over 20 years ago. Paper return and all! Its piece of cake with modern tax softwares.
Ditto!