Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Now here's a feature I'm surprised no modern online account offers (at least none that I'm aware of): If I write that $1000 check, I should be able to enter the check# and amount online, and have that automatically debited from my 'available funds'. When it clears, the system should recognize that it was already entered (same check number) and not 'double-debit' it. Wouldn't that be convenient? You could do the same for any auto-payment, say 30 days out, with some similar reference # system? Especially convenient if you are set up to get an email/text when 'available funds' drop below $X.

-ERD50
Yes! I agree and have actually put this suggestion in the feedback area on my banks website (a few times, actually). I would be satisfied it they just had a memo or sandbox area that I could post the check # and amount.

Having Mint.com or some outside service provide this functionality is not the same IMO.

I use carbon copies to record paper checks which only happens every other month or so. I track the balance online.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When 90+% of your banking is electronic, and you handwrite maybe one check every two months, the checkbook register is useless. I'd have to enter every electronic transaction by hand in the checkbook register to track the balance that way - duplicating what is already in Quicken and can be viewed online from my bank.

Most of our banking transactions are recurring monthly bills which Quicken anticipates for me by automatically scheduling the transactions. At most I have to modify the monthly amount for some bills.
I'm glad your system works for you in your lifestyle. For us, our method is working just fine.

We're uncomfortable sharing a checkbook and not making an entry in the register whenever we write a check. It's just a simple, quick and easy courtesy to each other.

Your method is obviously a huge success for you, so..... carry on!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

A Quicken trick. If you already do this, sorry.

We have accounts within our main joint checking account. They are tracked under "Savings Goals".
Right now, we have 3. My personal checking, DD payback, and prescriptions. Wife has a separate, free checking account that I don't track.

Every month, on the calendar, Quicken moves set amounts from the joint account into these automatically. My allowance is xx, and long term prescriptions average xx per month. When DD makes her sporadic car payment, I move that amount manually into DD payback. This is my checking cushion. If I buy something personal, I use a CC, but when the debit shows up, I transfer the money to joint from my personal. Prescriptions work the same way.

At the end of the year, I move the prescription overage into joint and start again. I leave DD payback alone, but when she needs some money, I loan her her own money.

When I helped her get a car several years ago, I called it a loan but knew it was probably mostly a gift.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Because of me being a Military Veteran, Chase gives us a Premier Checking account free.

We write 8 checks a year to our Medigap Policy provider (they have no means of electronic payments). Then the housekeeper gets a check every third week (private individual) and church gets a donation via check about every other week also.

So, in essence, we write about 60 checks per year. We don't use the register to reconcile, only record checks and I also record them in Quicken. I reconcile the monthly electronic statement from Chase with Quicken.

Oh, the county taxing authority gets annual payment checks (2) as their electronic system charges for CC payment.

Other than the above, it's all CC's or debit card.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

What great timing on this topic as last night I was reconciling my account online with my paper check register and entering expenses in my excel expense worksheet I have kept up for over ten years and was asking myself I wonder who still does this paper register thing. Made me laugh when I saw this thread today. Thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #86

We use on line banking. We do not use quicken.

Yes, I maintain a cheque book out of habit. We balance it to our on line account. We seldom write a cheque-probably one this year.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #87

I haven't used (or reconciled) a check register in about 10 years. Before that, it seems every month I would find my "register totals" for the month and the banks totals would differ most of the time. I'd spend anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes each month to find who was wrong. Never found a banking error. About the same time I realized that I wasn't tracking my credit card transactions and was just checking (scanning) them when the bill came in at the end of the month. (I have found a few ( 2 or 3) fraudulent transactions over the years.)

These days I just monitor my checking and credit cards on line (about once a month)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #88

Only write 4 checks a year and those get written in the check book. Everything else is paid online or auto pay.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Switzerland, where checks are not used at all. It's all done by bank transfer from your account into the other party's. We do this online or in person at the post office using a payment card (which comes with a bill or charitable request) on which is printed the other party's bank acct info. We call these one's bank coordinates. As in, "give me your bank coordinates and I will transfer the funds to your account tomorrow." Very simple process.

-BB
Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #90
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you think keeping a checkbook register is old fashioned I saw a woman at Valley National Bank the other day take money out of her passbook savings account. I was shocked that A) these still existed and B) that they actually had a passbook printer updater thingy. I haven't had one of these since my first savings account when I was about 8 or 9.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #91
Dryer sheet aficionado

The nice thing about Quicken is that you can scan your receipts into the register, making it very easy to retrieve them if needed. I've charged everything for over ten years now, which results in the need to write only a couple of checks per month. The perk: it has also given me lifetime platinum airline frequent flier status and a lot of miles.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Quote:
Now here's a feature I'm surprised no modern online account offers (at least none that I'm aware of): If I write that $1000 check, I should be able to enter the check# and amount online, and have that automatically debited from my 'available funds'. When it clears, the system should recognize that it was already entered (same check number) and not 'double-debit' it. Wouldn't that be convenient?
Yes! I agree and have actually put this suggestion in the feedback area on my banks website (a few times, actually). I would be satisfied it they just had a memo or sandbox area that I could post the check # and amount.

Having Mint.com or some outside service provide this functionality is not the same IMO.

I use carbon copies to record paper checks which only happens every other month or so. I track the balance online.
I should ask my CU about this, it sure makes sense. Yep, I don't want to go to an outside source like Mint for this, but the fact that they do it shows there is demand for it, and it is do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm glad your system works for you in your lifestyle. For us, our method is working just fine.

We're uncomfortable sharing a checkbook and not making an entry in the register whenever we write a check. It's just a simple, quick and easy courtesy to each other.

We write very few checks, and I keep a decent buffer in checking. We both know that any check of just a few hundred or so is no big deal, write it, mention it so I'm not surprised when it shows up on-line (I get emails for each and every debit).

If either of us have to write a big check, we would make sure there is a buffer, and I pencil it in on my pencil/paper literal back-of-an-old-envelope tracking system, that just summarizes the major debit/credits I know of on-line.

I have no idea what is in the checkbook register. I have not even seen it in years, I think. DW would not know what the balance is, because there are far more non-check debits/credits that occur outside the checkbook. But knowing there is 'enough' for small checks, and 'check with me' on big checks is what works for us.

-ERD50
Old 11-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
If you think keeping a checkbook register is old fashioned I saw a woman at Valley National Bank the other day take money out of her passbook savings account. I was shocked that A) these still existed and B) that they actually had a passbook printer updater thingy. I haven't had one of these since my first savings account when I was about 8 or 9.

You still go into a bank? I can't remember the last time I was in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post

we do it for foreign currency before trips. Better exchange rates than most places, and easy/discreet. (can get the currency and pack it away)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Noting a check # and amount in the register is one thing. Using the register to balance a checking account where <5% of the transactions involve handwritten checks is a whole different ballgame.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #96
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post

My apartment requires quarters for the washers and dryers...it's a necessary evil to pick up $20 in quarters a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I rarely use a check to pay unless a merchant doesn't accept debit or credit (balance is paid off every month). I use YNAB (as Katsmeow) to maintain a budget and keep tract of all the accounts. It does all the math calculation for you. YNAB has changed how I handle my income and expenses. I did use mint at one time, but YNAB is a lot more useful to me on a daily basis. When using the mobile app, as an example, YNAB will automatically know that you're shopping at Vons and will even fill in the category such as groceries for you. Love the whole system. I also use bill payer to pay the bills and snap deposit so I never have to go to the credit union unless I had cash to deposit.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Noting a check # and amount in the register is one thing. Using the register to balance a checking account where <5% of the transactions involve handwritten checks is a whole different ballgame.
Right, I made some of that point a few posts back. We have the 'carbon copy' style checks, so we really don't even need to write it down in the register, but we certainly would if not for that. But when the check transactions are a minor influence on the balance, all we'd be doing is keeping the register synced with the current balance from other transactions, and that's just keeping two sets of books. But if that works for some people, that's fine too. I just seems pointless for our way of working.

-ERD50
Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #99

Not anymore. I haven't not balance my check book for years. I don't see the reason.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our system works great for us Audrey. Glad to hear you're happy with yours!