Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Been ERd for about 10 years and I regularly exchange any amount in excess of $1000 in my checking account into savings @ Ally. I reconcile my checking account monthly and then scrape off any amount that it over $1000. That has been my process for 25 years or so.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

When I retired, over 2 years ago, I had absolutely no plans to try and "save" money like I did while I worked. My plan in retirement was to live within my means (not below or above) which was the same as I did while working. As it has turned out so far, even with some rather expensive "hobbies" and low return investments (by this forums standards) I have more money now (about the same if inflation adjusted) as I did when I retired. I have no pension (unless you count SS).

So I guess the answer is yes, I'm saving money in retirement but not by plan or design. And no, I'm not sending anyone my surplus/savings just to keep my spreadsheet in line with my projections. I'm sure I'll find another car/collectable to buy to keep my spreadsheet on track.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I don't save any $ because I'm not making any money in the sense of income. I may spend less than expected, or get a greater return from my portfolio than expected, but I don't consider this savings.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me, being retired is no different than working when considering income from whatever source. I have always saved and still do after being retired. We all need that buffer. Why would anyone retire and live on a knife's edge without having that cushion for whatever comes up in life? I have been programmed to save and invest and will continue to do so. My plan is to buy more land one day soon...
Old 08-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #45

Right now we're not saving anything and in fact are spending down savings by about $500/month. This is planned and will end when I start SS in a couple/three years. When that happens we'll probably have to work at it to spend all income but I'm sure we can think of something.

If nothing else there's virtually no upper limit to what can be spent on photography gear.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Still save? Hell no.

We built up a nest egg so we could enjoy retirement and that's what we're doing. ...BTW, get off my lawn...
Heck, Ken. That didn't sound a bit cranky to me at all.

It did earn a chuckle or two.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
Heck, Ken. That didn't sound a bit cranky to me at all.

It did earn a chuckle or two.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Post college years we hope to be back to saving over half again. Saving is in our DNA. We're quite happy with post-kids retirement life we have planned on that amount, so why spend more.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #49

I guess if I took an extra $1000/month out of my portfolio I could put it back in and say I'm saving it?
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #50
gone traveling

Early on in early retirement I suppose it is rational behavior to establish a fixed budget annually, say 3pct withdraw rate as an upper guardrail and see how that works - If one is able to live on less and not compromising lifestyle I suppose that sets the lower or cost reduced guardrail with the difference in the two being "saved".

Not a bad approach - What ever works for you as you establish your budget in retirement and get comfortable with both the predictable and non predictable cash out flows as well as investment / portfolio value variation.

In the end at the stage you describe (drawdown phase) it's all "spending your savings" or "not spending your savings". Versus earning.

But I think that's ok to keep holding a bit back if it makes you feel better and helps establish a budget with fixed and variable costs.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Two good pensions with one full SS and one spousal. The spousal will become a full benefit in 3 1/2 years at 70. Still saving and that will pick up even more at. 70. We are blessed

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
TuborgP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I do not think it is unusual to live on pensions and SS and keep reinvesting the rest, for those of us dinosaur retirees with pensions:

"Where do affluent retirees get their income? Portfolios invested in stocks and bonds, you might think - but you'd be wrong. Turns out many are living mainly on Social Security and good old pensions."

COLUMN-Surprise: Even wealthy retirees live on Social Security and pensions | Reuters
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Bada bing

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
TuborgP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I still save....even though I'm retired I still have car & house repairs. If you don't still save how are these expenses covered? I also save for travel and for a car purchase when my 8 year car dies. I also save in an emergency fund for the big house or medical things. This is all from my monthly pension which covers living expenses, savings and investments. I don't withdrawal from my TSP.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #55

Nope! Spent 30+ years saving for retirement and now it's pay back time. Anything not spent from my SWR goes towards even a bigger vacation the next year, or we just eat out more. Plus I have some expensive hobbies which can always get more attention. Firecalc says it's safe so why not?

The kids will get whatever is left over.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is my first year and very odd about spending and saving. I only get a tiny SS check and spend more but I got another 60K inheritance and spent 35K on gifts and maybe trickle away a thousand or two more than my SS check a month so savings is up but I haven't made an effort to save. I should be going into a phase of spending about 1-2K more than my income until the end of December then will get a bunch of dividends and capital gains so the total for 4 months might be break even but my total invested money is up for the year about 100K after wasteful spending and gifts. Since I have over a million saved I should be able to spend 40K plus my SS so planning to spend 24K plus SS seems very wasteful yet safe.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote