Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I've pondered a related idea before (possibly on this forum, I don't remember). I wonder if the disappearance of defined benefit pensions will accelerate the wedge between the "haves" and the "have-nots."
Not sure it accelerates the wedge -- but it may redefine what it means to be a "have".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
We don't owe them an inheritance and we would not cut back to the bone to take care of them. That said, we hope to leave them a sizable estate. If I can speed up their FI I will gladly do it. Both kids are hard working, responsible and frugal.
+1 (younger one hasn't reached LYBM age but we're workin on it)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Too many people use this as an excuse to not give. Wouldn't 50 cents on the dollar be better for those kids than none?

By all means, research into a charity where your money makes the most impact, but don't NOT help out because some might be wasted (likely WHEREVER your money goes, some will be wasted).
Perhaps they do. I just can't stand getting ripped off in any context involving my hard-earned money. Unfortunately, the wasting of my tax dollars is out of my control.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #104

Quote:
Too many people use this as an excuse to not give. Wouldn't 50 cents on the dollar be better for those kids than none?

By all means, research into a charity where your money makes the most impact, but don't NOT help out because some might be wasted (likely WHEREVER your money goes, some will be wasted).
personally, i think the concept of micro loans instead of the standard relief organizations is a better way of "donating" money. i bring it up because i think it's a valid option to consider if you want to help out the thirld world in some way. I think it's an underutilized option.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
personally, i think the concept of micro loans instead of the standard relief organizations is a better way of "donating" money. i bring it up because i think it's a valid option to consider if you want to help out the thirld world in some way. I think it's an underutilized option.
I do micro loans thru kiva.org. i like knowing where my money is going.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #106

Quote:
Well said. Just about everyone would say the same thing as mbooth. It wasn't me, I worked hard, etc. etc.

It was everyone. It was you. It was me. We are all to blame.
OK, "We are all to blame." I just don't understand what this means. If YOU are to blame, and if you feel bad about doing whatever you are doing, could you just stop doing it? Or, conversely, could you start doing something differently that might be helpful? And, whatever action you stop (or take), how much of a difference is it going to make?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck

OK, "We are all to blame." I just don't understand what this means. If YOU are to blame, and if you feel bad about doing whatever you are doing, could you just stop doing it? Or, conversely, could you start doing something differently that might be helpful? And, whatever action you stop (or take), how much of a difference is it going to make?
It means I understand that my actions make a difference. It's my job to go out and vote. To advocate for what I believe. To practice civil disobedience. To serve on juries. And anything else I can to do all I can to improve my situation and society's as a whole.

Knowing I am to blame for all of this means I know that I need to be going and doing what I can to make a difference, because I do make a difference.

Things don't just "happen."

Your final sentence indicates you don't understand this, or don't agree. Most people would side with you. And most would say it's not their fault. And here we are.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #108

Back on topic (at least for the moment)...

While I don't feel that I owe my children any sort of nest egg I do hope/plan on leaving them as much money as I can. Money, hopefully, can make their lives a bit easier, give them more options, and just relieve some of the stress that life brings. I'd like to think that they will be able to have more financial freedom in their lives than my wife and I have had (and, it hasn't been all that bad). I would hope that leaving the kids some sort of meaningful financial inheritance would enable them to make less financial compromises.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Back on topic (at least for the moment)...

While I don't feel that I owe my children any sort of nest egg I do hope/plan on leaving them as much money as I can. Money, hopefully, can make their lives a bit easier, give them more options, and just relieve some of the stress that life brings. I'd like to think that they will be able to have more financial freedom in their lives than my wife and I have had (and, it hasn't been all that bad). I would hope that leaving the kids some sort of meaningful financial inheritance would enable them to make less financial compromises.
I'm all for giving my child(ren) financial freedom. They might as well get to enjoy an even earlier retirement than me, or go into a field that doesn't pay much because they actually love what they do (e.g., archaeology, anthropologist, etc....)

Like everyone else here, I just want to make sure they don't squander whatever I leave them. This is where good estate planning comes into play.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote