Join Early Retirement Today

Doctor of Doom with a new prediction
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doctor of Doom with a new prediction

Our favorite Doom has another prediction - recession goes into 2010 (36 months assuming a late 2007 start) - complete with videos: Dr. Doom: Recession Will Probably Last 36 Months - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That guy's 15 minutes REALLY need to be up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Time to plant the turnips, goes good with shoe leather.

Jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Our favorite Doom has another prediction - recession goes into 2010 (36 months assuming a late 2007 start) - complete with videos: Dr. Doom: Recession Will Probably Last 36 Months - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
I hate to admit it but he's probably right......again. I know I have canceled all my discretionary spending for this year and until the market turns up. Its obvious I have lots of company.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Is This The Final Answer?

I heard on the radio today about Roubini's views. Listened to Buffett this morning and basically they both agree. Not much difference between them. Both agree world economy has "fallen off a cliff."

Roubini was saying maybe another 15% drop for the markets. This made me think, if we have to endure another 15% down for the markets to finally attract a huge influx of investors, could the government induce the final 15% and get it over with?

I don't know how they could do it but I suspect it would be possible through some intervention. Very unorthodox I admit. But, just for the sake of argument. Would you support "induced recovery".

If we agree recovery won't happen until there is a final sell off big enough to drive world capital to the markets would you risk it?
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
If we agree recovery won't happen until there is a final sell off big enough to drive world capital to the markets would you risk it?
I don't personally believe that. I believe recovery won't happen until the market thinks world governments and central banks have a shred of a clue about what to do to quarantine the toxic assets and stop the water torture deterioration in balance sheets.

That could happen at Dow 6000 or Dow 2000. But I don't think the market will do anything but drip, drip, drip lower until it thinks governments and central bankers aren't all clueless.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
I heard on the radio today about Roubini's views. Listened to Buffett this morning and basically they both agree. Not much difference between them. Both agree world economy has "fallen off a cliff."

Roubini was saying maybe another 15% drop for the markets. This made me think, if we have to endure another 15% down for the markets to finally attract a huge influx of investors, could the government induce the final 15% and get it over with?
I think it's a rather bullish forecast from Dr. Doom! Let's see, if the recession lasts until Q4 2010 the market should start recovering in Q2 2010 and yet he sees only another 15% drop until then? I like it! Are you sure he didn't say 50%?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
By The Numbers
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

By The Numbers

Well, I have to agree with you. The market numbers are just numbers. It is what they reflect that means something. Still, if things are cheap enough you get a lot of buying. That is, if anyone has any money left.

Buffett did a three hour interview today and I have listened to about half of it so far. His take is that, what the government has done so far, is correct. Paul Krugman and Roubini say the same thing. These are the guys I listen to.

Everyone else talks and these guys correct them. Roubini is an academic like Krugman but if you listen to him his logic is impeccable.

I may not like what they are saying but I, for the most part, can't find many flaws in it. They all agree this is a dangerous time but we can get through it if we treat it like a national battle, put aside differences, and fix it.

To my mind, it is too late and to dangerous to do anything else.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't personally believe that. I believe recovery won't happen until the market thinks world governments and central banks have a shred of a clue about what to do to quarantine the toxic assets and stop the water torture deterioration in balance sheets.

That could happen at Dow 6000 or Dow 2000. But I don't think the market will do anything but drip, drip, drip lower until it thinks governments and central bankers aren't all clueless.

Make that "until governments and central bankers aren't all dishonest" and equities will start to rise.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I watched most of the Buffett interview. The thing I like about him, even though he lays out the gloom and doesn't pull any punches..... he always finishes on a positive note. He says we will get through this and our best days are ahead. We need to hear something positive from a man of his statue.

Of course we may be dead by time things are truly better.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post

I'm not worried about being dead - I'm worried about wishing I was dead...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Make that "until governments and central bankers aren't all dishonest" and equities will start to rise.
And it would be nice to start with our own.......
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that's a little long - I reckon 2.5 years instead of three. Roubini held his forecasts back previously, because at the time (2005) he would have been slammed as a total kook if he would have told the truth (as all of us non public figures were). Now that it's obvious to everybody I think he's comfortable being more aggressive.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Actually, it could go very quickly. Someone has to fess up and admit that a ton of money was lost and ain't coming back. That means that AIG, GM, Citicorp, B of A, etc have to all go bankrupt, then stock market has to tank. More than half the folks who work on WallStreet have to lose their jobs. It can take 6 months if the government says, "We have no money" or 6 years if the government keeps trying without admitting that it has no money.

Then and only then, can we all breath a sigh of relief and start over. In the meantime with no positive news and only no news or bad news, the market will go down anyways.

I think I've just talked myself into capitulating.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
So I guess they're never going up again? Bummer.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I watched most of the Buffett interview. The thing I like about him, even though he lays out the gloom and doesn't pull any punches..... he always finishes on a positive note. He says we will get through this and our best days are ahead. We need to hear something positive from a man of his statue.

Dawg,

Let the man expire before we erect a statue for him
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Did y'all know that Roubini is holding 100% Equity?

He is hoping this thing will drag out as long as possible. Same for Warren Buffett - fortunes are made in times like these. The longer down, the more shares these fellas can snap up.
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gotta love the forecasts with per cent probabilities. I'd say he has a 98.456% chance of having his head up his butt! But I could be wrong (2.453% chance).
sander06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's a gamble but it would seem the odds are good to do Tax Loss Harvesting for 2009 at this time. Sell now, put the losses on books, go back in after 30 days with the money and hopefully buy more shares.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I hate to admit it but he's probably right......again. I know I have canceled all my discretionary spending for this year and until the market turns up. Its obvious I have lots of company.
I am sure you do. Also a lot of us (whether early retired or ER wannabes) have cut back without actually canceling all of our discretionary spending. As, in this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ich-42980.html

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote