Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Tried to find an image of a very old, very fat guy with a six pack of beer but couldn't find one. Sorry to disappoint ladies....
This spurs me to tackle the same task to show that I am a better Web surfer.

But after a couple of minutes, all I could find is the following.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Ah Hah! Found one for the ladies of this forum.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

OK, I actually just watched the documentary.

Well, sort of, as I dozed off and on. If there were a transcript I would be able to get the info in much less time, as an earlier poster noted.

I then went back to read again earlier poster comments, and many were more attentive and filled in for me many details that I missed by dozing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
From the sound of things, the title of that piece is a misnomer if 'eggs' is supposed to refer to someone's retirement 'nest egg' - seems like most of the people showcased never had any eggs to begin with!
The above pretty much sums it up.

So, the problem now is we need to chip in, and come up with some eggs for them. No?
Old 05-20-2016, 04:07 AM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto what purplesky said.

In half of these threads we lament the fact that other people don't save enough. Then someone addresses the subject, and we complain that the subject has been raised.

If it takes a gentle conversation or hammer to the head documentary, it should be done.

Now I'll watch. LOL. I hate when people comment but haven't read the article or watched the movie.

Best wishes to all!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how many people on this board have experienced a financial hardship due to a serious medical problem, real estate gone bad or loss of employment? My only comment is you can do everything (or 90% of things) right and it's still possible to get derailed. The older couple endured her being diagnosed and treated for cancer, he lost his job and the the great recession of 2008 took 1/2 of his home equity. The musician was finalizing a divorce and becoming a single parent. It sounds like her husband was the bread winner . The benefit of hindsight makes it easy to state what should have been done. Many times when your struggling with one or multiple of these problems -- you're so focused on the most urgent need, you don't see the big picture. Sometimes life gets in the way.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This spurs me to tackle the same task to show that I am a better Web surfer.

But after a couple of minutes, all I could find is the following.

OWWW! My eyes!!!! Yuck yuck yuck yuck yuckkkkkkkk
Old 05-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #167

If it wasn't for medical insurance both my father and I would have been ruined. Ma spent the last 4 months of her life in the hospital (lots in ICU) and rehab (nursing home) with lots of transfers.

My wife died of pancreatic cancer 16 months after diagnosis. 2 weeks in hospitals (4 days in ICU) and I was max out of pocket for 2 years.

If you don't have health insurance you can be financially ruined very easily.

Yes, not all the broken eggs are created by people living "way beyond their means", sometimes feces just happens.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That will teach people to be careful what they ask for.

Wasn't there a fable we were told as a kid about that?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyecrabber1 View Post
I wonder how many people on this board have experienced a financial hardship due to a serious medical problem, real estate gone bad or loss of employment? My only comment is you can do everything (or 90% of things) right and it's still possible to get derailed. The older couple endured her being diagnosed and treated for cancer, he lost his job and the the great recession of 2008 took 1/2 of his home equity. The musician was finalizing a divorce and becoming a single parent. It sounds like her husband was the bread winner . The benefit of hindsight makes it easy to state what should have been done. Many times when your struggling with one or multiple of these problems -- you're so focused on the most urgent need, you don't see the big picture. Sometimes life gets in the way.
I have. Both husband and wife lost job in dot com burst. We had to buy our own health insurance too, not COBRA, too expensive. I quit mine but technically knew that startup was not going to last and I was getting tired. Either quit or get sick. So I think we had a year where we didn't have income. That's when what I've learned from the frugal forums were actually put to use.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I know!! It was SOOOOO uncalled for, don't you think?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The house is 6800 sqft from the link. Did I read it right? I have not had coffee yet.
Zillows shows the 6800 sq feet now. I posted the link over a year ago so I may have misread it back then, the square footage may have been posted incorrectly back then or now, or perhaps one included the guest house and one did not. The market price per square foot in that area would tend to support the 3300 sq foot number, if you look at the similar sales column. Average price per square foot there is currently $589.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #172
Dryer sheet aficionado

Did they specify the location of the Silicon Valley McMansion? Maybe if they used data from the dot com era it would look bad... but anything recent went up. In the city where Google made it's headquarters, zillow shows real estate values going from $800k before the 2008 mortgage crisis... to $1.5 million now. Hard to see where a recent Silicon Valley purchase could be spun as bad. So I'm guessing they used old data to make their case.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes, that was extremely painful!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #174

I just tried to find out how the couple who lived in the Bay Area McMansion was doing. I found Robert (Bob) Beardsley on Linkedin, and it looks like I happens to have a 3rd connection with. It shows he has been a business owner from 2009, so I don't think anybody hired him full time after the show. If I were in his situation (and they most likely had so much down payment in the house already that they didn't want to lose), I probably would have gotten tons of roommates to help with the payment, although I am not sure if it would have been enough.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #175
Dryer sheet aficionado

tmm99 - If it's the same profile that says "Microsoft Corporation 2002-2005" (!), then he worked at a San Jose startup from 2007-2009. Looks like he could have bought at the worst time (Apr 2007) and then sold anywhere from Apr 2009-2012 at a loss ($700k vs $500k, roughly). And since linkedin shows employment from 2005-2012, maybe a 2012 sale isn't so far off. Median house prices broke even Apr 2014 ($700k) and have risen since (Apr 2016, $831k).

But some more context makes it strange - he worked as a director at Microsoft for 3 years, presumably with a high salary and stock options. If I had to take a $200k hit, but I could get 3 years of director's pay with Microsoft stock options... I think that job alone is worth more than the housing loss. And that was before leaving Microsoft to work in the bay area between 2005-2012 again as a director.

Assuming it's the right linkedin profile, I'd say "bad timing on san jose, but what did you do with all that director pay?"
Old 05-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #176

3 years might not all be vested. Plus Microsoft just only turned up last year. So he might not have much of a gain.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I beg your pardon. I am a fast reader, but few things escape my scrutiny.

I was just trying to oblige.

Quote:
I could do it if it were a comedy or had shirtless men with six pack abs, maybe...
Quote:
...You had me at shirtless hunky man....
Quote:
How about shirtless with a six-pack...
Old 05-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #178
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cannot be unseen.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #179

My understanding is that medical expenses are the number one cause of personal bankruptcy in the US.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #180
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
3 years might not all be vested. Plus Microsoft just only turned up last year. So he might not have much of a gain.
Probably 75% of a 4 year vesting in Tech stock.

But I still wonder what happened to his director level pay (right now a director at Microsoft earns $170k according to glassdoor). Earning that level of salary for a decade, where did that money go?