Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No financial planner/advisor is going to be perfect. One can fault with something about all of them. In our area Ric Edelman is very popular, he has very good advice to give, but not all is perfect.

IMHO one has to approach these "popular" financial advisors and look at them from a "crowd sourcing" perspective... how much of their advice is basic and consistent? I'd say 95% of folks, if they followed the basics of "LBYM, save, keep your debt down and invest simply", which most of these folks expose, would be better off. Where one has to thread carefully are specific investment recommendations they make. But I understand that, so I can ignore that aspect of their advice.

I recently viewed a Vanguard webinar where they interviewed Jack Bogle. His message also was "just stick to the basics". I don't know, many too many people find the 'basics" too boring, which leaves them more susceptible to things they don't understand but many come wrapped in a nice package...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I liked her comment that her debit card was the "least cost effective card" available. Some honesty?

But are not all the TV pitch people bad? Dr Phil, Dr Oz et al
Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One can probably make a similar documentary about 1/2 of the business owner, including Trump. The video is a complete waste of time for the maker and viewer. My 2 cents.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to watch her How am I doing segment. I ended up emailing the show about the obvious error in the presentation. She would show "home equity" on the asset side and "mortgage debt" on the liability. As a result she's telling people they have negative net worth and are doing terrible. I never got a response to my email but starting that week it was corrected to show "home value" as the asset. Pretty scary for a presentation whose whole purpose is to evaluate net worth.
SecretlyFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

well owing more then you have in assets is still a negative net worth .but that does not mean you are doing terrible .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

But that's the point. What you have in assets is the home value not the home equity which is the net. So $500k house on which you owe $300k gives you a positive net amount. She was showing $200 equity as the asset and $300 debt and telling people they were under water on their houses.
SecretlyFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

A reason she no longer has her own show?

Doesn't know what she's doing? Unclear on the concept?

Day time TV. It's about whatever.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've actually read a few of her books years ago and think on the whole she doles out fairly decent advice. She has found her niche and is making the most of it. Good for her.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have a powerful weapon that use against TV personalities like Suzy Orman, New Age types, Evangelists of various stripes, Oprah, Dr. Phil, Mr Oz etc.

It is the off button. Or in a pinch the change channel option.

Don't really care about her. Others do like and appreciate her so they are welcome to watch and listen. We pass.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote