Join Early Retirement Today

Does a home purchase even make sense?
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm living in a HCOL area so my son can attend a preferred high school. After four years when he graduates, I'm moving out of this area.

I'm currently leasing a home for $2700 a month. Comparable homes in this area sell for no less than $500K; the appraised tax value on the one I'm renting is $502K.

I've considered buying a home in the area by putting $250K down and taking out a mortgage for the other $250K. Why put down half? Because lenders are only qualifying me for $250K based on dividends and CG distributions on my last two tax returns.

Here's the monthly breakdown if I do that:

$1212 - P&I @ 4.125%
$675 - Property Taxes
$150 - HOA
$100 - Insurance
--------
$2,137 per month to "own" before any maintenance and repairs.

Wow, I save $563 a month, right? But I also lose any investment returns on the $250K that I pulled out, which have averaged 7% over the last 10 years. Nor have I included any potential tax liabilities on the additional capital gains I incur by cashing out that much.

When it comes time to sell, if the home has appreciated 3% a year I might be able to list it for $560K. Subtract 8% selling costs and the remaining mortgage balance and I'm left with $283K. Add the $563 per month I "saved" by owning and I'm up to $310K. Obviously that's best case because it doesn't account for property tax increases and maintenance/repairs.

But wait - had I left that $250K invested and continued to earn 7%, it would have grown to $337K.

Looks like I'm ahead at least $27K by renting for four years. Or am I missing something?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
When it comes time to sell, if the home has appreciated 3% a year I might be able to list it for $560K.
Personally, I would never assume property appreciation over such a short period of time. Plus maintenance is quite an open ended variable.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Very rarely a good idea to buy if you know you will be moving again in under 5 years. If you are happy with the rental then stay there IMO.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Very rarely a good idea to buy if you know you will be moving again in under 5 years. If you are happy with the rental then stay there IMO.

I agree. Also, you can’t count on return/appreciation from either investments or property in that time frame. The phrase “if you are happy with the rental” is important.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

$8100 for property taxes? Yikes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you considered:
Tax free receipt of future home appreciation/capital gains? ($250/$500k).
Tax deductible treatment of property taxes and mortgage interest?

Current tax law on residential rentals favors only the owner, not the renter. A large reason for the "better to own a house" rule.

But, buying a home makes sense, until it doesn't. You may well have found that exception.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
$8100 for property taxes? Yikes.
That's actually low for this area of Austin @ 1.76% of appraised value where some areas are as high as 3.3% of appraised value.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I was faced with this decision, for a 5 year period, a few years ago. I ran a spreadsheet with all the numbers, including estimated investment return and house appreciation, taxes, maintenance, realtor fees, rent with increases, and buying was the winner for me. Happened to be in an area where houses were reasonably priced and rents were just a bit high. I was having a bit of trouble finding a house to rent and definitely wanted out of an apartment. I came out better than expected, so it worked well for me, but there was more risk, as well as potential for headaches selling vs. walking away from a rental.

I think at a minimum you need to do a more in depth spreadsheet with all of the factors.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Have you considered:
Tax free receipt of future home appreciation/capital gains? ($250/$500k).
Tax deductible treatment of property taxes and mortgage interest?

Current tax law on residential rentals favors only the owner, not the renter. A large reason for the "better to own a house" rule.

But, buying a home makes sense, until it doesn't. You may well have found that exception.
I haven't paid any income tax in 5 years so any potential deductions won't benefit me. I did account for home appreciation and capital gains but as others have pointed out that's not a certainty. I would think that rising home prices during favorable economic times would also mean rising investment returns but even if flat the advantage in this case goes to renting.

I think what really impacts the equation here is the relatively low rental prices commanded by homes with (artificially?) high market values.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh hey, this happened to be in the Austin area (just north), back in 2003.

edited to add:

Interesting that you are finding the opposite with rentals vs housing values there now. I bought for about $137K and sold 5 yrs later for about $188K in 2008. I think I was looking at about $1000/month rent for a house.

Sounds like you may be in West Lake. Definitely higher prices there.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I was faced with this decision, for a 5 year period, a few years ago. I ran a spreadsheet with all the numbers, including estimated investment return and house appreciation, taxes, maintenance, realtor fees, rent with increases, and buying was the winner for me. Happened to be in an area where houses were reasonably priced and rents were just a bit high. I was having a bit of trouble finding a house to rent and definitely wanted out of an apartment. I came out better than expected, so it worked well for me, but there was more risk, as well as potential for headaches selling vs. walking away from a rental.

I think at a minimum you need to do a more in depth spreadsheet with all of the factors.
The inverse appears to be true here for the time being - rental rates are relatively low compared to current market values. Yet homes in this area are under contract in a matter of days.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Oh hey, this happened to be in the Austin area (just north), back in 2003.
I'm currently in the Westlake area, Eanes ISD. There is very little if any new construction in this area, and homes in my price range are much older and in need of repair - a cost I didn't add into my scenario. An A/C replacement could heavily impact the numbers over a four year time span.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You're very fortunate to be living in such a great city as Austin. I understand that Austin, Nashville and a few previously low COL places are seeing unprecedented increases in real estate values.

But is there going to be a bubble? Are prices going to continue to rise as they have in the near past? Or, is the market going to fall flat with buyers' capacity to pay not increasing with prices? Four years comes around very fast.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You're very fortunate to be living in such a great city as Austin. I understand that Austin, Nashville and a few previously low COL places are seeing unprecedented increases in real estate values.

But is there going to be a bubble? Are prices going to continue to rise as they have in the near past? Or, is the market going to fall flat with buyers' capacity to pay not increasing with prices? Four years comes around very fast.
That's a good point. I personally believe this housing market is superheated right now and due for a correction soon. The fact that rental rates (in my area) are not tracking with purchase prices is an indicator to me. When mortgage rates rise there is no additional headroom here for increases in market values.

The more I think about it the wiser it seems to just rent for now.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The fact that you would start a thread with this title tells me that you have already made up your mind.

So enjoy apartment life!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The fact that you would start a thread with this title tells me that you have already made up your mind.

So enjoy apartment life!
LOL!

I'm renting a house, not an apartment. I hate apartments
Old 02-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
LOL!

I'm renting a house, not an apartment. I hate apartments
I was JUST going back to get your quote of that,

Quote:
I'm currently leasing a home for $2700 a month.
and edit my post (which you quoted and responded to in less than a minute, since the posting time is identical).

So enjoy living in somebody else's rental house that they don't want to live in themselves! I have lived in both rental houses and apartments, and wouldn't touch either with a 10-foot pole now that I can afford my own home. But you have already made up your mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think what really impacts the equation here is the relatively low rental prices commanded by homes with (artificially?) high market values.
In my opinion (and my DW who is a licensed RE broker in several states) that is not a great sign for future home value increases.

Also, if values continue to rise, so will those high TX property taxes.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The inverse appears to be true here for the time being - rental rates are relatively low compared to current market values. Yet homes in this area are under contract in a matter of days.
When I did my analysis, I was looking at a $120K house, and as I said, ~$1000 rent. That house fell through and I stepped up to a little nicer house for $137K, which isn't in my analysis but probably worked well similarly.

It looks like you'd pay 4x that for a house, but only 2.7x for rent. And a year less to recoup closing costs. I'd guess the full numbers would tilt towards renting. Though as you noted, Westlake doesn't have much more room to build houses, and anything new would be much more, so the appreciation might hold. Or not.

I don't regret buying but for your case if you like the rental place well enough, I'd probably go with that.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
When I did my analysis, I was looking at a $120K house, and as I said, ~$1000 rent. That house fell through and I stepped up to a little nicer house for $137K, which isn't in my analysis but probably worked well similarly.

It looks like you'd pay 4x that for a house, but only 2.7x for rent. And a year less to recoup closing costs. I'd guess the full numbers would tilt towards renting. Though as you noted, Westlake doesn't have much more room to build houses, and anything new would be much more, so the appreciation might hold. Or not.

I don't regret buying but for your case if you like the rental place well enough, I'd probably go with that.
I'm struggling with what a $500K home should rent for from an owner's perspective. This market is really intriguing to me in it's current state.