Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have always liked money. Excess of money may not help me be happier, but I do not think it can hurt me. I am always trying to get more, using legal means of course.

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you're being miserable." -- Clare Boothe Luce

And if you have way too much money, you can do like Steve Martin.

“I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too.” -- Steve Martin

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And if you have way too much money, you can do like Steve Martin.

“I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too.” -- Steve Martin
Hey, I have five pairs of $20 Thorlo socks, does that count? Big luxury and certainly not a necessity, but having comfortable feet is sheer heaven to me. So, that is how I choose to spend my money.

No fur sink or even a dog, much less an electric dog polisher.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back to the OP's question in subject line ....

I don't want to get rich when I get old. I want to get rich when I am young! But, it's too late to be young and rich for me. Do I now want to get old and rich, no and maybe.

Definition of being rich in terms of asset ... keeps moving. When I was much younger, I thought $1M is good enough to retire and live rich. Then, $2M became the new retirement goal and definition of being rich. Based on this forum's discussions, even $2M is not safe enough to retire for my life style. Now I am moving the bar again to $2.5M. Who knows where it is going to stop if this keeps up. Deep down inside, I know I can retire today and make a comfortable living but lacks the courage and conviction to pull the trigger (b/c there is no coming back for me once I do).
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I don't want to get rich when I get old. I want to get rich when I am young!
Indeed! The people I really envy are those who make their money fast and early.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Too late for many of us, myself included, to be rich when young.

So, we have to settle for trying to be rich when old, and that is looking more difficult now with the expected future return of stocks and bonds as what has been discussed forever here. Meanwhile, our time is running out. I have never had a dog, but would want to try the electric dog polisher on my beloved cat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #126

You know, every time one of these threads come up I say to myself "Don't get involved, you'll just say things you will regret and make an idiot of yourself" But I do enjoy them and can't resist. Here is some more: While I was working out this morning I asked myself "Self, why do you like being wealthy so much? I doubt it makes me happier in the long run, so what is it?
I decided it was because it let's me ignore many eveyday issues. I don't need to apply to get things like gov't assistance or subsidies. I can just pay for it myself. If the wait for health care is too long, I can just go to Buffalo or Seattle and pay for it. If I get sick in Arizona, I don't have to worry if the insurance will cover it. If my car breaks down I just call the dealership. I could think of many more examples but they are summarized as " I can ignore most everyday annoyances" This gives me a sense of control over my life.
Maybe I am an idiot. If you think so please don't tell me.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I decided it was because it let's me ignore many eveyday issues. I don't need to apply to get things like gov't assistance or subsidies. I can just pay for it myself. If the wait for health care is too long, I can just go to Buffalo or Seattle and pay for it. If I get sick in Arizona, I don't have to worry if the insurance will cover it. If my car breaks down I just call the dealership. I could think of many more examples but they are summarized as " I can ignore most everyday annoyances" This gives me a sense of control over my life...
It's not that the plebes do not know what money can get them. Rather, it's because they we cannot or do not know how to get more money. So, they we have to fight with the terrible ACA web site to get health insurance. It's not because they we enjoy it. They We do not have a choice.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #128

Quote:
It's not that the plebes do not know what money can get them. Rather, it's because they cannot or do not know how to get more money. So, they have to fight with the terrible ACA web site to get health insurance. It's not because they enjoy it. They do not have a choice.
Yes, I understand that. It is the choices I have that give me such control over my life. Control equates to power. I think that is the key at least for me.
By the way I think your use of the word "plebe" is a little condescending. Not a good way to make friends or influence people.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

I should have added that I am one of the plebes. See my edits above.

It's the unknown about ACA that kept me from trying to get in on this "deal" this year, and I was fortunate to have a plan that was grandfathered. Next year, I will join in ACA if it saves me some money. I already found out that without subsidy, ACA will cost me more than my existing plan. I am forced to seek subsidy (if I manage to qualify by manipulating income) to keep the cost the same!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You know, every time one of these threads come up I say to myself "Don't get involved, you'll just say things you will regret and make an idiot of yourself" But I do enjoy them and can't resist. Here is some more: While I was working out this morning I asked myself "Self, why do you like being wealthy so much? I doubt it makes me happier in the long run, so what is it?
I decided it was because it let's me ignore many eveyday issues.
I think I must be wealthy, too! Here's why:
Quote:
I don't need to apply to get things like gov't assistance or subsidies. I can just pay for it myself.
I don't need to apply for them, either. With a median income, I don't qualify for any.
Quote:
If the wait for health care is too long, I can just go to Buffalo or Seattle and pay for it. If I get sick in Arizona, I don't have to worry if the insurance will cover it.
Although sometimes my doctor gets pretty busy, I never have to wait for as long as it would take to fly to another city like that. Although I haven't tested it, I believe my insurance will cover me nationwide. I do not need international coverage.
Quote:
If my car breaks down I just call the dealership.
That's what I did the last time my car broke down, in 2010. The battery died, and so I had the dealer tow the car to their repair facility and replace the battery. Since the car was pretty new, the dealer paid for the battery, labor, and tow.

Just teasing you a little, but really despite my far lower income, I don't have to put up with these particular annoyances either.

On the other hand, I don't have numerous homes like you do! So if I wanted them, then my income would be cramping my style quite a bit.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. It is the choices I have that give me such control over my life. Control equates to power. I think that is the key at least for me.
By the way I think your use of the word "plebe" is a little condescending. Not a good way to make friends or influence people.
Anyone who is not into hiding reality from themselves would realize that what you say is true. How could it not be? You are not saying that wealth trumps all, or that it is the end of life, only that it is a really good thing to smooth many bumps from your path. It's like being a Colonel rather than a Corporal, things tend to go better for you.

Here is how Jeff Bezos recently got a lot of help dealing with a hard situation on New Year's Day no less.

Amazon's Bezos rescued by Ecuador Navy due to kidney stone: Thomson Reuters Business News - MSN Money
Old 01-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

"Money money money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world...
" --- ABBA

Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I want to have no money worries. I suppose if I'm rich and smart with my money that would qualify, but in reality I don't even feel a need to be rich. But in reality, just a secure middle class lifestyle where I don't worry about losing an income stream or outliving my money would be good enough for me. A significant excess above that would just wind up going to charity when we kick the bucket, since we'd feel little need to spend it just because we had it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Money money money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world...
" --- ABBA
ABBA included!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I don't want to get rich when I get old. I want to get rich when I am young!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Indeed! The people I really envy are those who make their money fast and early.
This reminds me when one of my good friends once told me that as well as my life has gone.... he didn't want to be me, but rather, he wanted to be one of my kids in his next life.
Apex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, back to clifp's OP about why not taking a more aggressive stance with one's portfolio to get more money, I am doing that.

I have had stock AA in the 70-80%, and in my now more "mellow" years, do not see myself with any less than 60% equities. But then, I am used to risk taking. I left my secure job at megacorp to pursue some ventures that ended up being worthless, and I still survived and have done better than many others. Yep, stock fluctuations do not really scare me. They excite me in a perverse way. In dangerous times, one finds opportunities as someone has said.

If everything fails, well, I think I can live on my SS.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #137
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Anyone who is not into hiding reality from themselves would realize that what you say is true. How could it not be? You are not saying that wealth trumps all, or that it is the end of life, only that it is a really good thing to smooth many bumps from your path. It's like being a Colonel rather than a corporal, things tend to go better for you.

Here is how Jeff Bezos recently got a lot of help dealing with a hard situation on New Year's Day no less.

Amazon's Bezos rescued by Ecuador Navy due to kidney stone: Thomson Reuters Business News - MSN Money
Is it better to be a Colonel and not a Corporal, or Bezos instead of any of us? Perhaps this is so. But there is a price to pay, the benefit doesn't always equal the cost, and the price is different for all of us. For some is it very steep indeed.

One thing we do have in common - we all excel at rationalizing our choice.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #138

@W2R Keep in mind I am Canadian so health care issues are a little different for me.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

One thing we do have in common - we all excel at rationalizing our choice.
For sure.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think I must be wealthy, too! Here's why:

I don't need to apply for them, either. With a median income, I don't qualify for any.

Although sometimes my doctor gets pretty busy, I never have to wait for as long as it would take to fly to another city like that. Although I haven't tested it, I believe my insurance will cover me nationwide. I do not need international coverage.

That's what I did the last time my car broke down, in 2010. The battery died, and so I had the dealer tow the car to their repair facility and replace the battery. Since the car was pretty new, the dealer paid for the battery, labor, and tow.

Just teasing you a little, but really despite my far lower income, I don't have to put up with these particular annoyances either.

On the other hand, I don't have numerous homes like you do! So if I wanted them, then my income would be cramping my style quite a bit.
W2R, we all make choices in life. You have chosen to forgo travel for pleasure in ER; for me it is an important activity. Therefore I need international health coverage, especially when I visit the US. You have a low cost of living, which is wonderful, but you live in New Orleans, which would not be my location of choice. You choose to eat lunch in restaurants every day, while I enjoy preparing meals at home for the most part. I have no interest in buying video games and consoles, which you do. etc, etc. I do not consider myself rich, and for all I know your NW might be more than mine, but I can and do choose to spend more money than you do. Different strokes for different folks.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote