Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which thread? I find nothing when I search for it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
There is more than one way to skin a cat. I have about a 4 prong approach, not one is all that huge, but combined I have a feeling it will work.
Same here. DW and I both have small military pensions, she has a even smaller pension from local school district, we have a rental property, a small pile in 401K/IRA and then SSA. My plan is to live off SSA/Rental/Pensions once we hit 70 and SS starts, but we could take a hit to any of them and still be good if the others keep going.

Wish I could say I was smart enough to have planned it this way, with may small sources but alas, being a procrastinator has put us here.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Which thread? I find nothing when I search for it.
Might be this thread Pension ERISA anti-cutback Rule at Risk?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #164

Thanks Lakewood. I'm surprised there weren't any more posts to it. I'll reply there.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually, this is the one I was thinking of.
Pension Plan cuts
Old 12-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not a millionaire but I'm sure I will be eventually (probably within 10 years). Maybe even a multimillionaire one day.

Saving money is a hard slog at first, but it gets easier because eventually your investment returns start to bring in more than your contributions. That happened to me a few years ago, maybe when I was 36 or so. From then on it has gotten easier each year.

I actually made more off of my investments recently than my entire w-2 income. Its taken about 13 years of saving to get to this point.

I do not make a lot of money. Current w-2 income is around $60k and I haven't had a raise pretty much since 2008. My living expenses are only about $24k a year though. Its not how much you make. It is how high of a percentage can you save that is important.

I'm on track to be able to ESR sometime between 40 and 45, i.e. switch to part time work until 59.5 and then fully retire.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

No worries about people worrying about needing millions to support their lifestyle. What bothers me are the people who say that they are literally dying from their job and they only have $6M saved.

Not only is that more than what most people earn in their 40 year working life, but you could reasonably pull out six figures forever.

Either you are just complaining or you really have zero self awareness. You would rather die than change your lifestyle? really?? I realize that sometimes this involves a spouse who will leave you, but is that really worth dying for?

For OP, currently have $600k (all LBYM and savings from $0) at 50 and expect to have at least $1M by retirement. Won't be as early as many here, but on target for 65 at modest returns and hoping to back it up by 5 years or so if things work out.

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Here in the USA, anyone can be a millionaire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Anyone can be but we ALL can't be! If everyone tried, the economy would crash! We need all the fools spending there money on the silly things that drive the market.
I was actually referring to the opportunities here in the USA to start a business and succeed. Or work two jobs and save the money from the extra job. Work extra hours at your hourly job. Or provide some services to your friends and neighbors, such as lawn mowing, house cleaning, hauling junk, handyman services, etc.

Anything you can provide, that be used by anyone, can be your path to being a millionaire. Sitting in front of a video game console never made anyone rich. Nor in front of a TV.

Swapping hours for dollars is the first step in becoming financially independent. Then, having your investments doing it for you is the next step.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Senator, you CAN make a lot of money playing video games. The top ranked player made $1.18 million and the 100th ranked player made $194K according to www.esportsearnings.com/players
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Senator, you CAN make a lot of money playing video games. The top ranked player made $1.18 million and the 100th ranked player made $194K according to www.esportsearnings.com/players
+1
There are a lot of professional gamers. This year's League of Legends finals were held in Seoul, prior to that it had been held in the Staples Center, LA. Riot Games, based in Santa Monica, grossed $600M last year.

BBC News - League of Legends gaming final fills Seoul stadium

Quote:
It had all the sound and fury of a big sporting event: 40,000 fans roaring in the cauldron of a huge football stadium.
There were corporate sponsors, young superstar players and a million dollar prize to the winner.
And yet this raucous contest involved barely a drop of sweat and absolutely no muscular exertion beyond the furious clicking of fingers on a computer mouse.
The final of the 2014 League of Legends World Championship may only have been an online game - or e-sport, as the players and promoters prefer to call it - but it had all the feel of any traditional major sporting drama.
The World Cup stadium in Seoul was packed for this year's final between the Star Horn Royal Club from China and Samsung White.
At the previous final a year ago, 32 million people watched around the world, online, or in cinemas.
Quote:
Their hyper-speed on the mouse earned a prize of $1m (£621,267).
Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1
There are a lot of professional gamers. This year's League of Legends finals were held in Seoul, prior to that it had been held in the Staples Center, LA. Riot Games, based in Santa Monica, grossed $600M last year.
The son of a friend of mine was highly world ranked in some video game I never heard of since I don't play anything but the standard games that come with the computer. Microsoft hired him to go to meetings and conventions for them. That went on for a little while, he lost his ranking and job. He was paid just under six figures and expenses. It was nice while it lasted but it didn't last long.

Professional video gamers are probably treated pretty much like professional athletes. They better make money while the sun shines. Most won't ever make a dime but I don't think many get concussions.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #172
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
150k a year? He must had been a mayor of some big city. Not many people get this kind of the pension. I think having Government pension of 150k is much much rarer then having 3-5 Million in investments.

But I would prefer 3-5 million, because one can not inherit pension.
My former California neighbor retired at age 48 with well over $125,000 a year as a fireman then went back to work as a supervisor at over 100k a year. Lots of stories like this in the LA Times and Orange County Register.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The son of a friend of mine was highly world ranked in some video game I never heard of since I don't play anything but the standard games that come with the computer. Microsoft hired him to go to meetings and conventions for them. That went on for a little while, he lost his ranking and job. He was paid just under six figures and expenses. It was nice while it lasted but it didn't last long.

Professional video gamers are probably treated pretty much like professional athletes. They better make money while the sun shines. Most won't ever make a dime but I don't think many get concussions.
The video game pros usually burn out in their early to mid 30's as their reactions slow so just like physical sports pros they need to invest their money and/or work on a continuing career before they fade.

There are big money physical sports that have few concussions, such as snooker, pool and darts but like all these things there are very few who get into really big money.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
As I said, anyone in the USA can be a millionaire if they put the time and ambition into it.

No doubt there are millionaire video game players, golfers, bowlers, skateboarders, etc. One of my friends was a professional Foosball payer, although he is not a millionaire.

Just remember, when your daughter asks you for money, because your son quit his job and plays video games all day rather than look for a job, he is on the path to millions and your money will be repaid.

Or when your kid that is still in school drops out and plays video games all day, you will know they are on the right path.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The video game pros usually burn out in their early to mid 30's as their reactions slow so just like physical sports pros they need to invest their money and/or work on a continuing career before they fade.
He burned out in his mid-20s. The theory from his father is that he spent too much time chasing the women he met at the conferences to really keep up his gaming skills.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
He burned out in his mid-20s. The theory from his father is that he spent too much time chasing the women he met at the conferences to really keep up his gaming skills.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #177

Both our kids have always been big time internet gamers, playing and traveling to conventions, but fortunately they have their heads screwed on the right way.

Both went to college and got degrees in Computer Science. DS works in the IT department of a bank but still plays a lot of online games. DD worked for a number of years at Big Blue as a software engineer before going into the gaming industry as a developer where she has been for about 3 years and absolutely loves her job.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #178

My nephew and one of his buddies spent their high school years playing video games. My nephew later got his ms in computer science and is a systems analyst for a credit card company, his buddy is a navy pilot. That gaming helped those 2, although we thought that they were not going to amount to much while they wasted away their teenage years playing computer games.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #179

My degree is Computer Science and Math. I got the degrees because I liked to pay video games. I always played them at the laundromat, and most bars. We did not have x-boxes back then.

Looking back, the only connection to a Comp Sci degree, and video games is that you need a good job to be able to afford to play the games.

Now my video games are Excel, Word and Quicken...
Old 01-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Millions? Nope. Net worth a LOT less than that, but ongoing expenses also (relatively) low, with potential to go lower once the wife retires. It's a cash-flow thing.