Join Early Retirement Today

Does FIRECalc take into account SS numbers I put in?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does FIRECalc take into account SS numbers I put in?

Hi,

I am currently 54, and my wife is 49. We plan to receive SS at age 62 for both of us. I plan to retire when I am 58 when new health plan takes effect, and the annual expense will be 65K. We have no pension.

When I enter those data for SS in FIRECalc, does it therefore make the following calculation assumption?

1. When I am 58 to 62, we will withdraw 65K from our savings.
2. When I am 62 to 67, we will withdraw 47K from saving and receive 18K from my SS, total still 65:
3. When I am 67 and wife 62, we will withdraw 29K from saving, receiving 36K total from SS for both of us, and total still 65K.
4. When I am about 90 (if I am still alive), we will run out of money and receive only 36K SS. We still have our house though...

Am I assuming right?
Thanks
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yes, you are correct.

One way to test the logic of the calculator is run it with and without your SS. You should see a lower success rate when you exclude that source of income.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
4. When I am about 90 (if I am still alive), we will run out of money and receive only 36K SS. We still have our house though...

Am I assuming right?
Thanks
It looks correct except for #4.

FIRECALC cannot tell you that you 'run out of money' at 90. If your FIRECALC output shows a 95% success factor to age 90, that means that historically you would have run out of money at or before 90 in 5 out of 100 scenarios. The other 95% of the time, you have money left, often much more than you started with, even factoring in inflation. You might even end up with a lot of money, look at the FIRECALC output charts.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ERD50,

Thank you for pointing that out. I am using 65K annual spending for a current port of 1.3M + both of our SS money, and I have a 100% success rate. The graph never touched the bottom $0 line, though there are two lines that are very close to it at the end. So, I assume that the worse case is at my age of 90, I might run out of money for 2 cycles. We plan to work 3-4 more years to gain extra level of safety.

I do have another thought: my annual spending of 65K is based on a family 4 for the average of the last 3 years. I know that 15 years into retirement, both my wife and I will likely not need that much annually since we will be less mobile and kids will be on their own. Is it reasonable to do a calculation scenario with "averaged" annual spending? By that, I mean, I can see that my average 35 retirement year spending might not be 65K, rather 60K or even 55K. If I use those lower numbers, I could retire sooner, and not need to extra safety.

Thoughts?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote