Does inactive 401K balance "count" in my IRA total?

Philliefan33

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just got off the phone with a rep from USAA, and he told me something that I cannot confirm (and I hope he is wrong).

I was planning on converting all of the money in my tIRA to a Roth IRA. All of the contributions to the tIRA were non-deductible; in fact the basis of the tIRA is slightly more than the current value ($20,000 vs. $19,875).

The only other IRA I own is a Roth IRA. I participated in a 401K at my employer until April 2015, when I ER'd. I left the money in the 401K.

I am working under the premise that the conversion will be entirely tax free, since the non-deductible basis is more than the current value in all tIRA's. But Mr. USAA rep told me that my inactive 401K is considered an tIRA by the IRS -- so the old "milk in the coffee" rule applies and I have to pro-rate the non-taxable portion to include the balance in the 401K. (Of course, he also reminded me that he is not a CPA, so he cannot give tax advice). If this is the case I will not do the conversion because 96% of it will be taxable.

I cannot find anything on irs.gov or any other website that indicates an inactive 401K is considered an IRA. I filled out a Form 8606, to see what info is needed...but no mention of any 401K balances. The form says on Line 6: "Enter the value of all your traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs as of December 31..."

Does anyone know how the IRS treats an inactive 401K?

Pretty sure your old 401k (inactive or not) is considered separate from your traditional IRA.

Alas, I'm not a tax accountant either so don't consider that legal advice.

I just got off the phone with a rep from USAA, and he told me something that I cannot confirm (and I hope he is wrong.

...... I filled out a Form 8606, to see what info is needed...but no mention of any 401K balances. The form says on Line 6: "Enter the value of all your traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs as of December 31..."

Does anyone know how the IRS treats an inactive 401K?

I don't think the 401k counts, but what do the Form 8606 instructions say?

When calculating tax on tIRA conversions to Roth one ignores all 401ks.

No and fire the rep.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think maybe if you had rolled the 401k over into an IRA, then you would have had to count it. But since it is still in the 401k you shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom