Does the election effect where we put money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

67walkon

Recycles dryer sheets
Does the presidential election effect where anyone is putting their money? Just curious.

Not in particular. I am however planning to unload the small percentage of gold I have in early December. For some reason I think that when the world wakes up on December 22nd a large majority may have an epiphany... and these doomsday preppers shows on Discovery and TLC will lose traction.

Not in particular. I am however planning to unload the small percentage of gold I have in early December. For some reason I think that when the world wakes up on December 22nd a large majority may have an epiphany... and these doomsday preppers shows on Discovery and TLC will lose traction.

You really think that this "doomsday" is any different from the dozens of previous ones? :LOL:

Looking at my food bill, I've been putting a whole lot of our money in my mouth, and washing it down with wine ...

Why would it? Personally, I hope the "sore loser" selloff currently under way results in attractive bargains, but other than that things aren't really any different than they were a week ago.

I will be taking Dec. 21 off and staying home in case nutjobs get any crazy ideas. I was planning on spending the day deer hunting (not many safer places than deep in the woods with a high powered rifle), but DW wants me close to home.

Nope, why would it? Especially since nothing has changed, Obama was re-elected and control of Congress remains split...life goes on bra.

Last edited:
Why would it? Personally, I hope the "sore loser" selloff currently under way results in attractive bargains, but other than that things aren't really any different than they were a week ago.

I will be taking Dec. 21 off and staying home in case nutjobs get any crazy ideas. I was planning on spending the day deer hunting (not many safer places than deep in the woods with a high powered rifle), but DW wants me close to home.

I had to google 12/21 to see what was happening. I'm out of touch. Maybe I will sip on an extra med or two and just enjoy the day. :)

I had to google 12/21 to see what was happening. I'm out of touch. Maybe I will sip on an extra med or two and just enjoy the day. :)

Save me the effort...... What is happening?

Day after election, Dow drops about 2%. Nope..I'm not gonna do anything differently. You know..just boring indexing rebalancing approach :)

I was wondering if it was the "financial cliff". Guess not.

Personally, I don't think it really matters who the president is, within limits, but I wondered if any of you had figured out a way to take financial advantage of the outcome.

Depends on whether there will be any public companies in Colorado and/or Washington involved in the production and sale of legal marijuana. Might be quite the growth industry.

I did not know about the drive to legalize the recreational use of pot in these two states until yesterday. In CO, I read that it will be legal to own 1oz, and so many plants at home. No more pretending about medicinal use of pot, people in these states are.

Not sure about commercial growing, but if it is legal to do so, heck, one can just move to the state and put up some green houses. It should be an easy part-time job for an early retiree. Why buy stocks of some public companies if one can take a more active role and keep more of the profits? :rolleyes: Be your own boss, keep your own hours, make good money, and get high from your own supply, what's not to like?

Last edited:
Nope, why would it? Especially since nothing has changed, Obama was re-elected and control of Congress remains split...life goes on bra.

+1 will likely rebalance, take some capital gains and do some Roth conversions but the outcome of the elections won't affect what I do.

Depends on whether there will be any public companies in Colorado and/or Washington involved in the production and sale of legal marijuana. Might be quite the growth industry.

Jury is out on that one. In CO legailzation does not happen until 2014 and then there is whatever the hard core drug warriors at the federal level will do.

But as Will Rogers said, "Prohibition is better than no liquor at all."

If was a stock picker and had positions in coal / energy companies or health care stocks, then yes. But since just an index fund person, no changes or me.

Lets keep the thread about money and investing, not politics.:)

I did not know about the drive to legalize the recreational use of pot in these two states until yesterday. In CO, I read that it will be legal to own 1oz, and so many plants at home. No more pretending about medicinal use of pot, people in these states are.

Not sure about commercial growing, but if it is legal to do so, heck, one can just move to the state and put up some green houses. It should be an easy part-time job for an early retiree. Why buy stocks of some public companies if one can take a more active role and keep more of the profits? :rolleyes: Be your own boss, keep your own hours, make good money, and get high from your own supply, what's not to like?

The DEA, that's what's not to like :) It may be legal in CO, but it is not at the federal level. It's an odd situation.

That's too bad. I have found the full text of Colorado's Amendment 64 here: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012 | Yes on Amendment 64: The Colorado Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol.

They are going to levy a 15% sales tax (subject to further increase after 2017, once more people discover the pleasure of pot, I guess), and use the money for public schools. What an excellent idea! Use the kids' own money to build schools for them. Brilliant!

I may just have to come out of retirement, move up there to put my green thumb to use. Have you seen the photo of the home-grown veggie I posted? I should grow something more valuable. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
That's too bad. I have found the full text of Colorado's Amendment 64 here: Amendment 64: The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act of 2012 | Yes on Amendment 64: The Colorado Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol.

They are going to levy a 15% sales tax (subject to further increase after 2017, once more people discover the pleasure of pot, I guess), and use the money for public schools. What an excellent idea! Use the kids' own money to build schools for them. Brilliant!

I may just have to come out of retirement, move up there to put my green thumb to use. Heh heh heh...

This seems like the most interesting part to me:

" (j) NOT LATER THAN JULY 1, 2014, THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY SHALL ENACT LEGISLATION GOVERNING THE CULTIVATION, PROCESSING AND SALE OF INDUSTRIAL HEMP."

One of the bigger out of state donors of money in favor of this amendment was Dr. Bronner's soaps, which use hemp oil as a base. Not allowing the commercial cultivation of industrial hemp is stupid beyond words.

It's a little different in Washington. No home growing allowed except for the currently allowed medical usage. Producers have to be licensed, paying $1000 annually for the privilege. All regulated by the Washington State Liquor Control Board. Other growing is still illegal.

Possession decriminalization goes into effect next month, and the process for licensing and sales has to be worked out by December 2013. 25% excise taxes on wholesale and retail sales, earmarking some revenue for purposes that include substance-abuse prevention, research, education, and healthcare with the rest going to the state general fund.

But the feds of course will still have their say in the matter. Figure it will be a while before the pot stores open up next to Jamba Juice in the local strip malls. But the retail store franchises might be an interesting investment opportunity. Or a lot of small mom-and-pop businesses, depending on how they write the regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom