Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not in the market for a new car.
But I was curious ...so I went here
Most and Least Fuel Efficient Cars
to see which new cars are best/worst.
You can do a side-by-side (SBS) comparison here, using your current vehicle and comparing to a newer version.
Side-by-Side Comparison
I ran the SBS for all of my vehicles.
I used my faithful 1992 Honda Accord for the new versus old comparison. The Accord is rated at over 18 MPG and does not qualify as a clunker, per rules shown here CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”.
My 2002 Jeep GC qualifies, but not enough for me to take on new car payments.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

A little off the original topic, but these 90s Nissan truck engines are pretty darn reliable and not bad to work on. My SIL recenty had an engine failure due to a broken timing chain tensioner at 220K miles. Timing chain failure (unlike belted engines) is pretty rare. Since this is an interference engine the chain "drop" resulted in all 8 intake valves being bent.

He (a novice mechanic) was able to buy new valves, lapped them in, replaced both upper and lower chains, new valve stem seals, new tensioner, new gasket set, and replaced the water pump while he had it apart. I believe his cost for parts was around $500.

What impressed me was how good this engine looked on the inside. Very little carbon buildup. Cylinders still had hone marks and no ridges at the top. Pretty amazing for 220K miles. After assembly compression was 165lbs. on all cylinders. I expect to see another 200K from this truck with no problems.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I turned wrenches for 30 years before I took the job I have now so I can repair most anything. The problem is I do not want to anymore and a bad back stops me most of the time anyway. I own a 3500 square foot fully equipped garage so I have to place to do anything that comes up. I just need a young person to show how to do things.

I replaced the timing chain and all guides 10 years ago at 100,000. I should be good for a few more years.

One of the reasons I have been looking is I wanted a ride that was easy on my back when I ride and this old Nissan is not one of those. If I do not buy a vehicle now I will never buy one when I do retire. I am still looking. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I turned wrenches for 30 years before I took the job I have now so I can repair most anything. The problem is I do not want to anymore and a bad back stops me most of the time anyway. I own a 3500 square foot fully equipped garage so I have to place to do anything that comes up. I just need a young person to show how to do things.
When I was young an older retired diesel mechanic and one of the sharpest guys I have ever known did this for me. I learned so much, and we both had a great time together. We rebuilt 3 engines and did umpteen lesser jobs. For a while I considered becoming an auto-trans mechanic, but I realized that it was generally too dirty and too damn cold for me to be a lifer in that trade.

I hope you find someone to help who will appreciate it as much as I did.

Ha
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Many of the good car salespeople left the business recently ......................
Bad timing, with Uncle Sugar throwing billions at the auto industry?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

haha, I worked in terrible conditions for almost 30 years. Cold shop in the winter and hot hot hot in the summer. I laid under trucks when the temps were in the teens. I worked on propane and heavy duty gas trucks most of those years. I have been out at night trying to get propane trucks running when it was cold . I look back now and cannot figure out why I did that. It was all I knew at the time. I made great money but the toll it took on me is showing now. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote