Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Does your Home Price factor into your portfolio risk?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in Seattle our house prices have been rising quickly for a few years. Since my house is paid off, I see this as part of my overall investment portfolio. Frankly, it is about 50% of my total investment portfolio.

Now being 1-2 years away from retirement, many would suggest a 60/40 (Stock/bond) type portfolio. But, knowing that there is a huge real estate investment out there, causes me to think I need to up the bond percentage on the portfolio to make up for the huge risk in my home.

Hope this makes sense....

Basically with a million dollar house and a million of investments, the 60/40 split seems very risky if I look at the $2M investment overall.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There used to be a lot of million dollar homes out here in Phoenix. Now they are mostly $500k homes. Plus, you gotta live somewhere right? The only way I would consider my home as part of my investment portfolio is if I sold it and had a cashiers check in my pocket.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

I have to second the above posters view. You got ta live some where. If you think you would downsize, there is a tab in firecalc where you could say add 500k to your portfolio at some future date, and Put the other 500k from your home sale into a new abode. I dont do this, as at the age of 50 i saved enough pennies to buy my first house. Im in reverse downsize. If anything, im gonna buy a joint in Florida to minimize my state taxes. Ill maintain the 2 homes. So thats more negative cash flow from the portfolio.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
There used to be a lot of million dollar homes out here in Phoenix. Now they are mostly $500k homes. Plus, you gotta live somewhere right? The only way I would consider my home as part of my investment portfolio is if I sold it and had a cashiers check in my pocket.
+1

Quote:
Nope.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not my portfolio risk or AA, per se, but it's in the back of my mind when I think about my overall state. I've got much more house than I need. I could easily live in a smaller, less expensive home, and I figure at some point I'll probably downsize. I don't actually figure it in any VPW or SWR rate calculation, but I do consider that I've got some buffer in that I'll probably be adding to my stash when I move.

I wouldn't worry about that much risk in Seattle, with the disclaimer that I don't know the market. If prices there drop, they'll probably drop elsewhere if you needed to move. I'm a little more at risk in a resort area, since most houses are second/weekend/vacation homes, and those don't do well in a bad economy. I'm not counting on as much appreciation as if I were in a desirable city.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No, I don't consider my house in my portfolio risk because I don't figure it as part of my AA and ignore it in my net worth, especially because it is a small part. I don't worry about the value.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

I do not consider my house to be part of my investment assets.
I do consider my house to be part of my net worth.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
+1. It should count in your net worth since someday you might cash out and do something with the proceeds, but it's not part of your investment portfolio until it provides a source of income. If you were to airBnB a portion of it, I could see maybe getting creative and considering that portion of it to be part of your portfolio

movingrightalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No, even though it is completely paid off, because I plan to live here until I croak. I don't plan to sell. My dream home is where I live, not an investment. I consider it to be a purchase that I paid for using the proceeds from my investments.

My AA is 45:55 and that is a ratio that I feel comfortable with while living in my paid off home in retirement at age 69.

While writing this, I am wondering what I would do with my portfolio if I awakened tomorrow only to find, much to my shock, that I had a giant mortgage to pay every month. Part of my retirement preparation was to make sure I didn't (since I am one of those horribly despicable pay-off-the-mortgage people and that's super important to me). I didn't feel I could even retire with a mortgage. I wonder if I would have purchased an annuity to help with it, thus changing my AA towards more fixed income in retirement. But no. Probably I would have just kept working until I could pay it off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #10

I don't consider my house to be an investment vehicle. It's a place to live that has residual value and factors into my net worth, but a place to live will always be some kind of expense. Just depends on how much.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am probably more conservative in my AA because we could rent out our house or sell, downsize and invest the difference if we needed more retirement income, which was actually our original plan anyway.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #12
gone traveling

Not at all. Here in flyover, home prices are a blip on the future wealth plan. Prices are pretty stable & low that let invest in real things like gold.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the "a house is a house" camp. Stocks and bonds are investments. Thinking of your house as an investment means you would be willing to trade it for something else which you believe will have a better return. If you do that, where would you live. Still we all have to play it the way we see it so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A paid off house is very nice (if you like it and it's the right size) and it is part of your net worth. You can sell it, you can reverse mortgage it and most important you can live in it.

And cheap too. I could rent my house for $1500 / mo but I own it so it's $2000 / yr property tax.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Home price can be in portfolio risk, if you consider to sell it at some time in future. I own a home in San Francisco Bay Area, which I will likely sell when finally retire. Because a large part of my savings actually in this home. I know, it is not good because it does not generate any income. And it cost me around $1K per month just in property tax. But as long as I work it is OK: I have to live somewhere and rent is also expensive in Bay Area. After the retirement, situation will change. Yes I consider it as a risk, because prices may drop. Although I do not expect them to drop significantly at my place, unless there is an earthquake or tsunami or other unfortunate event.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
BINGO 👍

(Still trying to see how people rebalance out of their house... sorta like people trying to rebalance their SS value....
It's a place to live, and SS is an income stream.
Unless you both plan on selling immediately and have a contract in hand, it should have no bearing on your allocations.
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee
Same here.
Investment portfolio = savings, CDs, bonds, stocks, rentals
Net worth = investment portfolio + home
GoodWishes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #18

No house in portfolio accounting but I think you have it backward. Since your house is paid off, it should be considered as a bond, like you can rent it out or sale it, so you need to have more stocks in your liquid asset, not reduce it.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #19

More confusion on wealth vs. income. Unless your home produces wealth (partially rented out, or is sold) it does not produce income. Therefore, it is an asset, and part of your wealth (net worth), but not part of your income (portfolio/asset allocation), IMHO.

Rental/income producing properties, are both.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No, even though it is completely paid off, because I plan to live here until I croak. I don't plan to sell. My dream home is where I live, not an investment. I consider it to be a purchase that I paid for using the proceeds from my investments.

My AA is 45:55 and that is a ratio that I feel comfortable with while living in my paid off home in retirement at age 69.

While writing this, I am wondering what I would do with my portfolio if I awakened tomorrow only to find, much to my shock, that I had a giant mortgage to pay every month. Part of my retirement preparation was to make sure I didn't (since I am one of those horribly despicable pay-off-the-mortgage people and that's super important to me). I didn't feel I could even retire with a mortgage. I wonder if I would have purchased an annuity to help with it, thus changing my AA towards more fixed income in retirement. But no. Probably I would have just kept working until I could pay it off.
I'm 56, eight to nine months before RE, and love this allocation. It goes well with a paid off house and a modest state pension.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote