Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Every paycheck into our 401k and 457, then once per month in taxable accounts except early in year that extra goes into Roths.

tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Still buying? - Yes

DCA'ing? Sort of. 401(k) I put in the max (20%) until it maxes out. Then contribute max ($6.5K) to IRA's in successive months, plus $200/month to Wellington and the rest goes to CD's for the rest of the year.

this is the last year of earned income.

I did notice a function in Excel that calculates Workdays between 2 dates, so taking into account Holidays and vacations, 216 workdays for planned FIRE (as of today)

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
120 shares of VTI on Tuesday.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
At today's closing price bought:

ADVDX (32% yield)
VWEHX (9% yield)
VEIPX (6% yield)
Gpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I used to own ADVDX at much higher cost, sold it last year at a huge loss. Thinking about buying it back but Fido now charges fee.

Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Still contributing to 403b, 401k, and roth iras. I'm staying the course and hoping we eventually come out of this storm to find an isolated island with buckets of cold beer and lots of scantily clad women fetching me something to drink. DW calls me the eternal optimist.
Retire date sometime in 2017
ikubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
We are still contributing to our 401k and simple IRA but not to the max. Had to suspend Roth IRA for this year because of wife's severance package.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Every month on the 15th. I'm re-balancing to get to my target asset allocation. Unfortunately, I'm ER'd, so no new money coming in.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
yes, because I sold some of my stock funds in my ROTH last year at various times, before the big crash. I've been DCA back into a couple of vanguard funds since Jan, watching for the drips each month and investing about $3000 hoping that this is the bottom but since I am very long with these ROTH funds I'm not too worried about that.

My investments outside the ROTH are still in bond funds where they will stay for a while.
Oldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
Still buying $750 per week.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.
Still w**king and DCAing every two weeks into FIDO mutual funds. We max out our 401K plus catch up contributions plus 6K in each of our Roths.
On top of that, we put a good amount into non-qualified account but this is going into our cash account which we might spend shortly after RE.
We are trying to stay up-beat by telling ourselves that we are buying low, and poised for the run up.
I remember the last bear market when I was putting in money only to see it go down each day for a period that seemed like forever.
I had decided on an amount that I would not go below and was ready to capitulate when it suddenly started going up and I quickly forgot about that. Hopefully it will happen again....and it most surely will.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #32
I define DCA as "putting the same amount of money into the same investment vehicle using a set time interval.
For the most part, that procedure is way to inflexible for me, but I do have three div reinvestment programs that I faithfully invest in every month-same time , same station. I can't pass up the free processing, and in the case of these three, the tasty dividends.
They are SE, DUK, EMR.

JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote