Join Early Retirement Today

Donít Under Estimate Customer Appreciation
Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Donít Under Estimate Customer Appreciation

I use two different brokerage firms as I am a believer in the ďDonít put all of your (nest) eggs in one basketĒ theory. I was surfing the net on different brokerage sites and came up upon an offer from Fidelity that caught my eye. They were offering up to $2500 dollars to open an account with them. It just so happened, that I needed to visit my brokerage (which is Scottrade) in order to fund my last SEP contribution. During the conversation with the office manager, I asked him if there was anything that he could do for a legacy account holder. He said that he could give me a $100.00 bonus in addition to 50 free trades and a 15% discount on future trades. I thought that was nice so I left happy. Being retired and having some time on my hands, I called Fidelity and asked them what they could do. By the time I got off the phone with them, they offered me $5000.00 to switch. In addition, they said that they would pay the transfer fees and match the commissions that Scottrade charged. I thanked him and contacted Scottrade to tell them what they had offered. I never had a problem with them and felt an obligation to let them match the offer. They did. 5 grand for a couple of phone calls. BTW, I do not consider myself a high frequency trader. I generate maybe $500.00 a year in trades. It really doesnít make much sense to me. It will take them 10 years to break even. Am I missing something? Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with you so that maybe you could benefit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Good job on negotiating a sweet deal.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for sharing. Great advice for anyone considering the same.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The amount they offer depends on the balance of the account. No broker will offer $5K for a small account. But even if the account is greater than $1M, a $5K windfall bonus is nicer than I would expect.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good deal, it must have been a large account.

I think they make money from lending out your stock to option traders.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Good deal, it must have been a large account.

I think they make money from lending out your stock to option traders.
Only if you have a margin account.

Otherwise it's just commissions and fund fees.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

Must have been a large account. Makes you wonder.

5K could be what it costs to land a new, larger customer.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

When we transferred from a full service broker to a discount broker the latter paid the transfer fees on trading accounts and our registered accounts. Worked out to about $1200. No other incentives...I was just happy to have my costs covered. Perhaps I left some money on the table?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

These huge brokerages have all sorts of ways to make money off your investments, far beyond $7.95 commissions and expense ratios.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Like what? They aren't allowed to loan my shares. I don't have a margin account.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

Some charge costs on processing dividends.

But I expect something more pedestrian is going on. You just get discounts and incentives based on what you might trade given your account size.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm, I'm also curious how you can get such a sweet deal. The OP must have a serious balance at Scottrade, IMO.

We've got a joint brokerage account at Capital One and I'd love to transfer to a brokerage that can convert /set-up our holdings to a trust type account as Capital One doesn't offer such accounts. However, to transfer we'd be charged $50 per stock. Maybe if I was able to find such a deal like OP I'd move.

Anyway this post got my brain thinking
Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #13

I also had my accounts split between Fidelity and another broker. The other had given me a couple issues over the last year, and when Fidelity made the $2500 offer I shifted my funds at the other over to Fidelity. I do find it more convenient having consolidated at one firm.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
Hmm, I'm also curious how you can get such a sweet deal. The OP must have a serious balance at Scottrade, IMO.

We've got a joint brokerage account at Capital One and I'd love to transfer to a brokerage that can convert /set-up our holdings to a trust type account as Capital One doesn't offer such accounts. However, to transfer we'd be charged $50 per stock. Maybe if I was able to find such a deal like OP I'd move.

Anyway this post got my brain thinking
Are you sure its not $50 per account ?
That $50 per stock is outrageous, never heard of that before.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, I think I need to move around, at least threaten Fidelity I will move.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are you sure its not $50 per account ?
That $50 per stock is outrageous, never heard of that before.
I believe that Scottrade charges $50.00 per account so the transfer fee to another brokerage would have been $150 for 3 accounts. 50 bucks per position does not sound right.