Join Early Retirement Today

Done with your taxes yet?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Done with your taxes yet?

Ok, sorry for the rude attention-grabber. I know no one has really done their taxes yet. But has anyone sat down with the forms and estimated what their 2007 returns will look like?

We had several big life events (that affect taxes) in 2007, so I was curious what our liability would look like. So the first thing I did in 2008 was figure my taxes. I don't have W-2s or 1099s yet, but it's pretty easy to figure what those amounts will be. After an hour or so of number crunching, I've come to the conclusion that 2008 is off to an excellent start.8)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I ran them before the amt fix. We would have had to pay a small amount. Now I dont know possibly a small refund. Ill wait for all the stuff before I bother working it again

Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't sat down with the forms, but I do have a spreadsheet which computes my estimated taxes for 2007.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Crunched the numbers last month in order to determine how much to disburse from inherited IRAs. This is the first year I will have to pay state income tax and I wanted to minimize the state, as well as federal taxes. This year's tax bill is not too bad...next year will be worse.

I lived all of my working life in Texas (a no income tax state) and I'm not too thrilled about paying state income tax. Still have a farm in Texas...
Old 01-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #5

No, we normally get it done by the deadline.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. Will be doing it soon however as we have to pay estimated taxes on Jan 15.

But grrrrrr I did calculate that our retirement fund paid out 6.7% in distributions. More than it went up in 2007. Arrrrrrgh!

Audrey
Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #7

I always do a guesstimate in mid October or early November. We get a tax credit for having a kid in college (Lifetime Learning Credit) but that will be partly offset by my part-time employer never deducting enough.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #8

Oh yeah, got nailed with capital gains in International Funds. Wasn't expecting that!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #9

I run the estimator on MSN.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think i'm gonna wait until April 14th this year.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #11

I sat down with the forms and 2007 YTD numbers twice last year, last time was in October. At that point I was projecting about $800 in refunds between state and federal. It will be interesting to see how close I came.

I should be able to do them for real in February sometime after I get all the official forms and such. This year will be a very easy tax prep year for me.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #12

We had lots of very large fund distributions in December, so I've been calculating an estimated tax payment and planning what to sell to cover it before 1/15/08. I'm hoping calculating the taxes by quarters will avoid any penalties, but that's going to be no fun. I almost did that a few years ago but gave up because it looked too hard. I have a pretty good idea of the total via Quicken, which kindly forgot all my numbers today now that it's a new year!

Dan
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I think i'm gonna wait until April 14th this year.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #14

Not yet. I started outsourcing it last year (which was a great idea, the guy saved me a bundle, and no I'm not a troll shilling for personal accountants ). Anyway, we'll get a good estimate by April, but won't be able to finalize it until the fall, as I have a private equity investment structured as a partnership that won't finalize its numbers until then.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Lots of taxable distributions this year amounted to almost 30% of our AGI. We made sure we paid in 110% of last year's taxes in order to avoid any penalties. Didn't need to run a program to figure this out. Got turbotax and plugged in some numbers, but it was a waste since AMT patch not in. It did threaten me with $7000 in AMT that I expect to go to $0 when the software is updated.

We will file in October like we have done in recent years.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yikes...I haven't even calculated my next estimated income tax payment due 1/15/08!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
... the guy saved me a bundle,
Since you threw that out here. I am curious, what specifically did the guy do to save you a bundle? Can you list one or two significant things that you (or that TurboTax) would not have done that this guy did for you?

I'm just curious if it was something esoteric like the tax break on beaver cheese R&D or something like that. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I made an estimate in early Dec. Then frantically had to redo my end of the year tax selling, when the stupid Schwab Small Cap INDEX fund distributed 43K in Long and Short gains.

As for actually doing my taxes, I figure other than filing an extension in April I won't do anything until late May. Last year the last of my K-1 forms didn't arrive until April 22, no reason to suspect anything different this year.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I might need a few more of those on April 15. Bought and sold a house, turned over almost half the portfolio with a nice mix of short and long term gains, rolled over an IRA and a pension account. And then we did some serious wrangling... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Since you threw that out here. I am curious, what specifically did the guy do to save you a bundle? Can you list one or two significant things that you (or that TurboTax) would not have done that this guy did for you?

I'm just curious if it was something esoteric like the tax break on f*zzy b*nny R&D or something like that. Thanks!
I should qualify that, he saved me a few grand. It was mostly business-related expenses attributable to my wife's freelance gig. It was nothing that couldn't have been done through turbotax, I just was not aware of certain practices hence would have been more conservative. Now that I'm aware, I could do them myself this year and get the same savings but he's reasonably inexpensive so I'll let him do it again.