Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you made any changes to your portfolio/allocation strategy based on the "Volker, Greenspan
No change 28 82.35%
No change, but I'm seriously considering it 1 2.94%
Yes, I've made some changes 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Donner/Greenspan/Volker Poll
Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Donner/Greenspan/Volker Poll

What has been your reaction to the thread started by Donner discussing some serious concerns about the current risk level? Have you considered or actually implemented any change to your investment/allocation stragegy? If so, what?

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Donner/Greenspan/Volker Poll
Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Donner, you may find this hard to believe but I was once introduced to your great-grandfather. We met at a "dinner party" about 160 years ago.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #3

I moved all of my TSP (401k) money into the short term securities G fund last December. I used new money to pay off my mortgage. I am going to start buying I bonds with my after tax money, which I will start living on when I retire in 7.5 years.

I think there is too much money chasing too few resources right now which has created asset bubbles. I just don't see a good buying opportunity.

I also only need a 5 % return to make my magic number in the next 7.5 years, so I can afford to play it safe.

-helen
Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went further into equities recently, but the value/high dividend ones.

Donners post was well taken, but he lumps all risks into one bucket. Anyone that does that and has more than five bucks in the market will wet themselves. Granted there are a number of not so pleasing situations in the form of real estate bubbles, overpriced asset classes, a weak dollar, yada yada yada. A perfect storm of all of these bubbles and mispriced classes could certainly make a mess.

People sitting on the sidelines completely out of anything that has any scary aspect to it might make their own perfect storm.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:28 PM   #5

I spent an hour or so reading unrelated threads here from 2003 and early 2004 where boardmembers were posting doom and gloom predictions for the coming year(s). Some were rushing to the sidelines. In hindsight, that would have been a mistake. Looking forward, I have no idea if their predictions will come true.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years (the hard way) it is NOT to react emotionally to articles like this, even if they are expressing the opinions of the likes of Greenspan and Volker.

Figure out the best long-term plan that fits your personal risk tolerance and psychology, and stick with it. Read articles like that for general background and entertainment. Or don't read them at all.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

15% of those responding to the poll say they either have or are seriously considering making changes to their allocation strategy.

Wonder if all the doom & gloom we're seeing on the news from the devastation of the Gulf Coast will spill over into people's financial mindset? Could have an impact & cause some folks to head for the mattresses (a la "The Godfather" ).

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I must admit I was somewhat affected by the recent doom 'n gloom postings, which made me wonder "what if" stocks go to hell. So I changed my 401k from 100% equities to 90% equities and 10% bonds. Just so that I will have something to show for my saving in a bad case. I'm also evaluating whether I may want to borrow some against the 401k for down payment on a house in the next few years, and making some of my investment safer isn't a bad idea for that either.

Tim