Join Early Retirement Today

Don't give up on diversification
Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't give up on diversification

I know some here are considering a change if they get back some of what they lost (yours truly included).

"But you can’t form a long-term investment policy on a “unique, non-recurring episode,” Kritzman says. (At least we hope it’s non-recurring.)"

Diversify Your Investments Even If It Hurts: Jane Bryant Quinn - Bloomberg.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
"But you can’t form a long-term investment policy on a “unique, non-recurring episode,” Kritzman says. (At least we hope it’s non-recurring.)"
That makes a lot of sense to me. It seemed like everything suffered in the economic mess, but that has not been the case consistently in previous years. So, I see no reason to shift my plan.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I see the major purpose of this kind of asset class diversification as giving an advisor or portfolio controller someplace to hide. If you are an FP you can still get your 1% or whatever, and when your "allocation" blows up just point to all the "research" that supports your planning.

Same if you are a married person in charge of investing family assets. "I know Honey, but all the experts said this was the way to do it. Really, in the long run it is the only way."

Works pretty well also for someone who only has to answer to himself, but likes to have a handy blame-sink.

Ha
Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Works pretty well also for someone who only has to answer to himself, but likes to have a handy blame-sink.
That is so true. Last October I could say to myself, "Well, I did just about everything I could!!" and that way I didn't beat myself up too badly. Besides, everybody else was suffering at least as badly as I was so that also kept me from beating myself up about it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote