Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Since I live near Houston, I must say I had no sympathy for the folks who ran out of gas. Everybody knows to have a full tank of gas BEFORE the hurricane comes to town. And most folks know not to get stuck on the evacuation routes.
Katrina hit early on the morning of Monday, August 29th, 2005. At 2:30 AM on Sunday, August 28th, we hit the road.

It was great, as far as traffic goes (hideous, as far as serenity goes but that's another matter). The previous day it had been all jammed up with traffic, and the same was true by 6 AM that morning in New Orleans, but it was fine at 2:30 AM. I guess that by 2:30 AM the "night people" had already left... but the "early morning" people were not up yet. Anyway, we went at 60-65 mph, albeit bumper to bumper, all the way across New Orleans and then up 59N. Smooth sailing all the way, with contra-flow in place which also helped a lot.

We did the same for Gustav, and other storms. Leaving at 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning seems to work out really well for us. I don't like being stuck in traffic with a storm bearing down on me.

And naturally, I get gas a couple of days before evacuating (to avoid the lines at the pumps).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I should be happy that I don't know anyone who would surprise me with a gift worth several hundred dollars

Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Money in mattress

Geez. I'm getting worried. I am going to make sure I keep the gas tanks on both cars filled and also get more cash out of the bank. Tomorrow if possible. Instead of the mattress, I will hide my hoard in the antique soup tureen in the kitchen. I have read that thieves head first for the master bedroom...that's where the money and jewelry is.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...And who cares if the banks are out of commission or even if credit cards don't work? You simply drive out of the affected area to a place that all these things work. Simple.
Ah, a person who has never experienced a Nor'easter or a state wide ice storm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor'easter

In cold weather, I keep several hundreds of dollars in cash on hand. When we get snowed on, in the range of feet within 24 hours, there is no going anywhere. We keep several full 5 gallon tanks of gas on hand (outside storage) also for the generator and at least a face cord of hardwood for the 2 fireplaces. Water is easy - 2 cases of bottled water and a few gallon jugs, or melt some snow if really desperate.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
or melt some snow if really desperate.
Just make sure it isn't yellow.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ah, a person who has never experienced a Nor'easter or a state wide ice storm.
Nor'easter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm laughing because in the Wiki you linked, I was living on Long Island during 3 of the "Notable nor'easters". In at least one of them ice from Long Island Sound almost came through the back sliding doors of my dwelling. I have also lived in Nebraska when things were shut down due to ice storms. I have also lived near the Alps with the same story. And to put it all in context, some of my favorite vacations have been to go backcountry wilderness ski-camping for a week or so at a time where you must take everything you will need in your backpack. Ever woken up in a tent that has collapsed because of an overnight snowfall of 8 feet?

As you have noted, in these major snowstorms you ain't going anywhere, so your cash is useless, thus why bother to have it? (Unless it is all one-dollar bills and you want to burn it to keep warm.)
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm laughing because in the Wiki you linked, I was living on Long Island during 3 of the "Notable nor'easters". In at least one of them ice from Long Island Sound almost came through the back sliding doors of my dwelling. I have also lived in Nebraska when things were shut down due to ice storms. I have also lived near the Alps with the same story. And to put it all in context, some of my favorite vacations have been to go backcountry wilderness ski-camping for a week or so at a time where you must take everything you will need in your backpack. Ever woken up in a tent that has collapsed because of an overnight snowfall of 8 feet?

As you have noted, in these major snowstorms you ain't going anywhere, so your cash is useless, thus why bother to have it? (Unless it is all one-dollar bills and you want to burn it to keep warm.)
Oh boy - a veteran indeed.
I lived in Rockland County until 1976. I remember some wicked ice storms and lots of missed school as a kid.
And then there was the Blizzard of '66....