Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
Well, my asset allocation has kept my total investment pile fairly stable. During the current "crisis" I have done what I do best; nothing. I predict that my pile will be higher, come year's end. I don't need no stinkin' timing.
I'm with you eagle. I've found the market serves me well in the long run if I just stick to my AA and not think too much.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BTW...Gazingas...you have a sister named Gazongas?

I cant believe I beat HWFR on that one. He must have had to go out for more weed or something.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

STD - standard deviation

Tell me that's not a play on words...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

STDs, aside Op, you mentioned doing some home improvement projects, which as reported by others here....seems to be a good time to do it with home building in many areas pretty much stopped, the better contractors are easier to get....I have also noticed that plywood and lumber costs to be lower...cant say that about asphalt shingles, wire or the like though...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #25

No one knows when will the market bottom occur. Some experts think that the time to get back in as signs of recovery in the housing market are in the horizon.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I have also noticed that plywood and lumber costs to be lower
I got a salesman at a hardware supply thats a good 2.5 hour drive round trip from here to discount a truck full of stuff about 15% below what home depot and lowes would do, and waive the delivery fees.

The contractors and building suppliers are all a little nervous and many short on work/customers, but they're all thinking its just going to be a month or two stall. I think it'll last a year or more, so the bargains might get better.

Customers are leery of spending money on their homes for the same reason people dont like to buy stocks when they're deeply discounted. Banks are leery of loaning money without putting people under a magnifying glass. New construction cycles that used to take a few weeks to a month to go from someone wanting to build something to getting a loan and getting on the job might stretch into 3-4 months.

My BIL's been home building for decades. Just had a customer cancel out on him for a new custom home in the 11th hour, and he's getting put through the wringer by the bank on getting financing for a new small subdivision he wants to put up.

So he'll be doing a LOT of work on our house over the next couple of months...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Mine did the same thing. He pulled out as the market plunged late in 2007. I don't know what his asset allocation was but I suspect it was mostly individual stocks. I think I'd be slightly ahead if I had dumped my mutual funds at the same time but not by more than a few percent.

That is always the question if you get out. "When do you get back in?" He's still predicting the end of the financial system as we know it but he also lives in California.

I'm down almost nothing since the beginning of 2008 (<2%) so it would be hard to justify getting out if I had. Of course, selling at the absolute market top and buying at the absolute market bottom sounds so wonderful. I should just do that all the time.
Like 2B, I don't know how to time the market either. If I did, I would have retired long ago. I would love to be able to sell at the top and buy at the bottom, I just don't know how to do it, and I've read a lot of other people's ideas about how to do it and have found none to be right most of the time. I've continued to buy into my AA and I am now back within a percent or two of my peak in October 2007.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
If you want to feel better about the charts---stop looking at the 3 month chart and check out the one year version. It will make you feel like you are getting a much better bargain.
Now if you want to be a filthy, rotten, market timer you may want to wait for the next dip. The market could run a bit more here, but it is going to get overbought fast---besides, we still have not proven we can punch out of this range.....................Sooo, I think I'll take a shower now, all this talk of market timing has made me feel dirty---really dirty
Or turn the charts upside down and start looking for the flying sombrero signal. Old joke but good joke. :0
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
You said you rolled out of a 401k last week, but how was the money invested? If it was in stocks, plugging back into equities is really just a sideways move.
That was the point which I didn't make clear. I was just relocating money from 401 to IRA (saving expenses from mutuals to indexes), but I got caught by a 5% uptick during the transfer. I wasn't trying to time the market, but it timed me!

I actually bit the bullet and put in orders this morning to spread across emerging mkts, int'l, small cap, large cap, and REIT. I looked just now at the acitivity today and successfully cancelled all those orders! HAH!

I'm going to wait a bit.
Gazingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingus View Post
I'm going to wait a bit.
...but you aren't going to try to time the market, right?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Were I in your situation, I'd probably be having the same battle with myself...)
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I know it goes against everything involved in long-term investing, of which I claim to be an adherent, but I HATE getting a big hickey first rattle out of the box.
a minor hijack: 401k to IRA; why
Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #32

a minor hijack: 401k to IRA; why

Quote:
That was the point which I didn't make clear. I was just relocating money from 401 to IRA (saving expenses from mutuals to indexes), but I got caught by a 5% uptick during the transfer. I wasn't trying to time the market, but it timed me!
Gazingus, I'm in the midst (thinking stage) of doing this myself... what were the reasons for you making this move?
Anyone else with thoughts on why you move a 401k to IRA would be welcomed.
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We just moved the better-half's variable annuity(*) to Fidelity and we're in the free look period until May 12th. I wasn't aware that during the free look period (in my state) Fidelity holds the money in a money-market equivalent.

So, similar to you, I'm in the odd position of hoping for a level (or down) market for the next few weeks.

(*) Yes, I know, we hate VAs on this board, but she didn't know better at the time.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Gazingus, I'm in the midst (thinking stage) of doing this myself... what were the reasons for you making this move?
Anyone else with thoughts on why you move a 401k to IRA would be welcomed.
Thanks.
  • Expenses You never feel certain you know how much the employer plan is charging you because there is no reporting of expenses to the individual. Not so with Fidelity; expenses are very clear.
  • Flexibility There were about 16 funds in the employer plan and I think the performance was substandard. Losses greater than market % and slower to recover.
  • Control Same as above. I have TONS more options now.