Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Doom and Gloom
Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark

Seems the doom and gloomers are always over at 45, as they realize their own mortality.
Except for Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894
Troll.
Rare point of agreement, Dave.

Please note that the only posts Anthony has made relate to the website promoting the publication he refers to in his last post, except for one out of proportion attack on Brewer.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then I vote he's terminated with EXTREME prejudice

I know, its not a democracy... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh - I'm 62 going on 63.

Don't forget sour grapes:

"God looks after drunkards, fools, and The United States of America."

Charles De Gaul

Whats French for curmudgeon?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I dont know, but if you said it, someone would probably think you were choking and would give you the heimlich maneuver.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Troll.
Anthony, I'd classify your repetitive book posts as spam. Kindly move on to another topic before the moderators have to start fulfilling their job descriptions. If you don't have another topic then you're right, you do need another forum.

Dave, I think a better example of troll behavior is the repetitive railing against a specific demographic or other group. Whenever you're contemplating another "@#$*%ing Boomer" post, try this experiement-- substitute the words "Latino", "Republican", "Jew", or "woman" for "Boomer". If the tone of the post would offend any member of those four groups, then you're trolling.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

He may be a Latino Jewish Republican woman, for all we know...

Let's get Helen Reddy to write a song...* :P

Or maybe The Diamonds... "Let's go trolling"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutearly
LOL, hopefully that's not your politics showing....
You only get two shots at being president, reardless of your political party. Bush has had all the opportunities he is going to get to wreck the country unless the constitution is changed, and I would not bet the farm on that.
bbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the environment that the boomers have left the next generation with is an important topic that impacts each one of us everyday, boomer or otherwise.
So exactly what have you and the rest of the "post boomers" done to resolve the mess the "boomers" have created? You've collectively had what...up to 40 years?

Come on, theres a bunch of you, especially if you include all those minorities and other sub groups.

Oh thats right, you havent done a damned thing but whine about it. That'll solve the problem for sure. If that doesnt do it, complain on an internet message board until someone else does something...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
While I often write inflammatory posts to purposely stir the pot and get some debate going...*
That's what trolling is. It's not cheerleading or pumping up the home crowd-- it's offensive & intimidating behavior. It doesn't lead to productive on-topic discussion, it's not necessary, and I think it needs to stop.

Quote:
I don't profit from my posts. I hope to stir other people minds and stir my mind with the responses. I try to cite references for things I say and I come check old posts to support arguments I have previously made. I even cave when I feel I have been proven wrong. I offer advice to help others when I feel I can and I ask advice from others when warranted (like when you posted the list of what you liked didn't like about your job that I used as a base to start my own ongoing list).

I really feel like you are genuinely offended by my posts (which on a certain level, I am somewhat proud of ).
No one here profits from their posts, and unless you've been doing your share then Dory's server fund only has my $25 contribution in it.

While I appreciate some of your posts, your repetitive banging on that Boomer piano key is way past its expiration date. I think it resembles a temper tantrum more than an attempt at a problem-solving dialogue. I'm not any happier with the world than you are, but I'm not blaming it on the older generations either-- or any generations for that matter.

If you're only here to offend people, then you need to go somewhere else.

Quote:
I'll just look elsewhere for intellectual stimulation as it relates to money, capitalism and society at large.
That's up to you. With your recent behavior, it seems like a good decision.

Quote:
No need to delete my account along with anthonys. I'll just leave if it will be better for you and everyone here.
I don't know if we moderators have the ability to delete accounts. You can delete your own account if you wish but that's between you & Dory. You'll notice that even *****'s account is still present, so I wouldn't worry about losing yours.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Dave, when I'm 50, I sure hope I'm not as old as you.

Good talking to ya, you have a nice life now.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dave, when you quoted my post you left out the part where I called you a troll.

Goodbye and good luck.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have no fear... the X and Yer generations will make meaningful positive changes to negate at least some of the looting and pillaging that has been going on for the last 50 or so years in this country.
Ok, so you're going to stop whining and overconsuming like the rest of the people in their 20's and 30's and start doing something. Any day now. Got it.

Quote:
I suggest we start with boomers' social security... I can tell you you will be impacted by cuts in this area
Not at all, I dont count social security at all in my retirement planning. Its lobster money as far as i'm concerned, if it shows up. I also dont expect the "me" generation to follow through with contributing to the system.

Quote:
maybe that's why you're so pissed at some dude posting who is 30 years your junior
So that would make you 14 then? Sounds about right.

Quote:
I don't know and frankly, don't really care anymore.
I'm a little lost...are you Scarlett or Rhett here?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords and ReWahoo: Copycats!

I beat both of you guys on this "Uplifting young man".
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Nords and ReWahoo: Copycats!

Yes, you did. Probably because as you age you have less tolerance for bullsh*t. Either that or you're trying to out-curmudgeon Unclemick.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Nords and I could be the same guy. Nobody's ever seen the two of us in the same place at the same time.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

It is unfortunate that it has come to this; however, I am always amazed when someone makes themselves a target and then is shocked when someone takes aim at them. There is a fine line on the internet between free speech and shouting fire in a crowded theater.

setab
Old 02-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

?Start your own board as certain unnamed posters have done in the past.

Then you can be a sweetie and do it the RIGHT WAY - whatever that is.

Just since the end of 2003 - I can think of three - one of which doesn't accept posters.

heh heh heh - is that curmudgeonesque or what?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Nords and ReWahoo:* Copycats!

Absolutely. Thank you.

I thought to myself, "Geez, if this guy can piss off even Jarhead, then he really needs to dial it back. No wonder I'm so tired of reading that crap."

You can pick up your moderator's ballcap from Dory or BMJ!

Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I came in on this quite late and so I read every post
just to see what folks so riled up (I usually
never bother to read all that much here. Would rather just
read my own stuff) Anyway, the answer was
"not much". Some people are so touchy!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Jeez and I figured you just liked to WRITE your own stuff after not reading anything, including what you wrote before.

That would explain the content, and repetition.

Dave, werent you leaving?

I find the variability of material and viewpoints here quite broad. Certainly idiots, whiners and people who think their wan opinion constitutes fact arent well received.

Its also one of the lightest moderated boards I think i've ever seen, let alone participated in.

Tipping the cap to the moderators who show great restraint...