Doom + Gloomers: What are you doing to prepare?

Doom + Gloomers: what are you doing to prepare?

• staying the course against your better judgement

Votes: 74 66.1%
  • getting out of stock market

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • stockpiling cash

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • buying gold

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • converting assets to another currency

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • stockpiling food/water/guns/ammo

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • buying'73 Ford Falcon Coupe and converting it into an impregnable fortress/killing machine (shoulder

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters
I read in another post you said you planned to go back to Europe to retire.

Nothing's been decided yet. It will mostly depends on my parents (who live in Europe) and my wife's mom (who lives in the US). I would like to take care of my parents in their old age and that would be a major driver for moving back to Europe. But then, what about my wife's mom? She has no family beside us. So we will see how it pans out. We might do part time in the US, part time in Europe as long as our parents are alive and then decide where to settle for good.

Didn't fill in the survey as I don't consider myself a traditional D&G'er. But... probably because both parents lived through grinding poverty during the depression I think sooner or later it will be "different this time". This time? Who knows. Next time? The time after? My life time:confused: So, yes, a little from column A, some from column B, All the above. But, mostly, staying the course and even trying to diversify more into stocks. (There's a concept)

One of my other mottos (besides Murphy): If the gaters don't getcha, the skeeters will.

Koolau

I'm stocking up on the important things books & wine just in case !
Moe, is your new avatar Carmen Miranda or some other fruit loving entertainer?

Ha

But... probably because both parents lived through grinding poverty during the depression I think sooner or later it will be "different this time".

Well, then, it won't be different this time... it'll be same as the last time :p

Here's a really interesting and contrarian article on survival in tough times by one of the most intelligent bloggers I read.
charles hugh smith-The Art of Survival, Taoism and the Warring States

Agree. This will likely work, or at least it has a much better chance of working than the usual city-boy arrogance. One thing he didn't mention that cuts the same way- many of these hillbillies (or Mendocino backlanders or whatever) are involved in various illegal activities. They really don't want you around, and they especially don't want you if you look to be setting up some kind of paramiltary or socially odd structure that might attract the lawmen. Marijuana and meth are lawmen- attractors enough without adding Neo-Nazis. :)

Ha

In Smith's article, I particularly like the tips about how to integrate in a small town. I think it's valuable for anyone moving/downsizing to anywhere that's not your typical suburb where anonymity is sometimes prized...even outside of a "doom" scenario.

I think you could even turn it around 180 degrees and use some of the techniques in a big-city apartment building (where it helps to have neighbors you know and can then trust to keep a spare set of keys or to move your car on street-cleaning days if you're not around.. help with big shopping trips, trust to look out for strange activity, stuff like that).

We kind of idolize the American myth of the 'rugged individualist' without really realizing the level of personal interdependency and trust necessary to succeed in a "less-modern" world. At least, I know that it's something I am not used to and that I need to exercise more.

Moe, is your new avatar Carmen Miranda or some other fruit loving entertainer?

Ha

It is Carmen Miranda . The original things on your head gal . I figured it was a contrast to the doom & gloom area of the economy .

I'd have been more impressed with Carmen's efforts had she included some form of baked good or cake, but I guess her option was healthier. ;)

I'm also pretty sure she had no bacon crossovers whatsoever.

To prepare for the coming apocalypse/Armageddon/doo-doo hits the fan scenario, I'd have to throw my current savings into land, a solar/wind/wood-fired home, farm animals, weapons, etc. Then, I would be set. Except, if the doomsday doesn't arrive, I'd be stuck in the hills of Tennessee for the rest o' my days...

Could be worse, I suppose. Is that banjo music?

Last edited:
Some 13 year old kids just stole your generator and their older brothers are loading all your kitchen appliances into the back of a pickup truck.

In Smith's article, I particularly like the tips about how to integrate in a small town. I think it's valuable for anyone moving/downsizing to anywhere that's not your typical suburb where anonymity is sometimes prized...even outside of a "doom" scenario.

I think you could even turn it around 180 degrees and use some of the techniques in a big-city apartment building (where it helps to have neighbors you know and can then trust to keep a spare set of keys or to move your car on street-cleaning days if you're not around.. help with big shopping trips, trust to look out for strange activity, stuff like that).

We kind of idolize the American myth of the 'rugged individualist' without really realizing the level of personal interdependency and trust necessary to succeed in a "less-modern" world. At least, I know that it's something I am not used to and that I need to exercise more.

Very true, one of the many things that people argue on about suburbia is the huge decline in social capital and cohesion in American towns. It is all a tradeoff though, one of the things that many Americans hold dear is right to privacy and ability to achieve on one's own, but there are advantages to both ideals. Yet again, the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

And to the Cheapskate: I have always found it very obvious yet still amazing that for all the years of trying to wane dependence of oil, save more money by conserving and convincing to use public transportation, nothing does even close to the effect that simply pricing influences.

And to the Cheapskate: I have always found it very obvious yet still amazing that for all the years of trying to wane dependence of oil, save more money by conserving and convincing to use public transportation, nothing does even close to the effect that simply pricing influences.
Capitalism in action.

We put photovoltaic panels on our roof when it became clear that the payback was worth the cost... not just because we wanted to be "green". And as soon as the cost of a plug-in vehicle has a reasonable payback, we'll get a bigger array.

Capitalism in action.

We put photovoltaic panels on our roof when it became clear that the payback was worth the cost... not just because we wanted to be "green". And as soon as the cost of a plug-in vehicle has a reasonable payback, we'll get a bigger array.

Try explaining that to Congress.

Capitalism in action.

What is the cost of grid power ($/KWh) in Hawaii? I suspect it is higher than in mainland, hence sooner payback for you than us. I have been researching the solar technology, but have not been able to make an economic case of it for myself.

I am fortunate to be in an older neighborhood with no HOA. Most HOAs ban anything and everything on the roof. I have heard of HOAs putting severe restrictions on House-For-Sale signs, and curbside signs. Some homeowners have petitioned all the way to the governor of AZ, and won some reprieve.

In at least one state I know they overruled the dumb "no-hanging-clothes-outside" restrictions. In the winter miss the dryer I used to have .. but in the summer I like that it is it quick and FREE to dry outside!

I'd like Congress to set aside at least as much money for alt.energy development as they give away in subsidies and below-market leases to oil and gas interests. I like an even playing field as much as the next person. For the same reason I think public transit should get subsidized as much as roads/cars are.

--
My old biz. partner had some land about 3 hrs away from our area. Nice stream, bordered on National Forest, etc. There was a small crappy shack that was a magnet for local yout'. You really couldn't keep anything of value up there. It was bucolic about 30% of the time.. when the invisible dirt-bikers and people chainsawing got tired or had to go get more gas.

He finally sold when he realized the drive w/2 kids was just too far.. plus they always had school/kid commitments most weekends anyway. I shoulda bought it off him (26 acres for only around $40k) but this was 10 years ago..

Uh-oh.

Haven't found our morning staple Quaker oats at Costco for the last week or so. Looks like this is the reason: Quaker Oats to Stay in Cedar Rapids | KCRG-TV9 Cedar Rapids, Iowa | Linn County Flood Information
She tried to make me eat yogurt for breakfast today. Yeah, i know.
Can Calmloki survive on 2 meals a day?
Don't want to hear about those steel-cut oats gravel granules - tried 'em - you really need to be retired to have enough time for them to cook.
Is this the end :confused:!?

I always liked Quaker Oats (the traditional kind).
I hope they get back on their feet.

You should be able to get rolled oats from a health food store if nowhere else. Or try online. For the steel-cut ones, I might try using a pressure cooker.

In at least one state I know they overruled the dumb "no-hanging-clothes-outside" restrictions. In the winter miss the dryer I used to have .. but in the summer I like that it is it quick and FREE to dry outside!

I'd like Congress to set aside at least as much money for alt.energy development as they give away in subsidies and below-market leases to oil and gas interests. I like an even playing field as much as the next person. For the same reason I think public transit should get subsidized as much as roads/cars are.

--

Definitely agree on both of those points, many of the subsidies going to natural gas and oil could be spent on alternative energy developments or (what I support) not spent at all.

The roads/public transportation is another one I have always said. However, I am not sure, and I am sure it is different in each state, where the money comes from for the subsidies. If it is from the state gasoline tax, then it should be spent back on the roads, but if it comes out of direct state taxes, it should be spread to all of those who require transportation. Also, the subsidies for public transportation would keep some people off the road, bringing down traffic, lowering road damage and keeping gas prices for the country slightly lower. Weird incentives at play here...

I think Switzerland has an even higher per capita gun ownership level than the USA, certainly one of the highest in the world, so you can probably expect that your neighbors will be armed to the teeth.

Primarily due to their military service, which is started at age 18 (can be postphoned to age 23) through age 30.

Here's the full story:

Military of Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Ron

"I figured with a shotgun and a testy dog, I can get all the beer...and pretty much anything else...that I want!"

I read that as 'tasty' dog the first time around.

"bartender, a cold brew and a plate of beagle, please."

What is the cost of grid power ($/KWh) in Hawaii? I suspect it is higher than in mainland, hence sooner payback for you than us. I have been researching the solar technology, but have not been able to make an economic case of it for myself.
It's about 25 cents/KWHr-- this month.

The economic case also depends on how cheaply you can get the parts, how much labor you can do on your own, and state/federal tax subsidies. It might be less burdensome than you think, especially if you factor in 3-4% annual inflation over two decades.

Back
Top Bottom