Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Doom + Gloomers: what are you doing to prepare?
staying the course against your better judgement 74 66.07%
getting out of stock market 6 5.36%
stockpiling cash 15 13.39%
buying gold 7 6.25%
converting assets to another currency 7 6.25%
stockpiling food/water/guns/ammo 15 13.39%
buying'73 Ford Falcon Coupe and converting it into an impregnable fortress/killing machine (shoulder pads + shotgun free with car) 11 9.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To prepare for the coming apocalypse/Armageddon/doo-doo hits the fan scenario, I'd have to throw my current savings into land, a solar/wind/wood-fired home, farm animals, weapons, etc. Then, I would be set. Except, if the doomsday doesn't arrive, I'd be stuck in the hills of Tennessee for the rest o' my days...

Could be worse, I suppose. Is that banjo music?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Some 13 year old kids just stole your generator and their older brothers are loading all your kitchen appliances into the back of a pickup truck.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
In Smith's article, I particularly like the tips about how to integrate in a small town. I think it's valuable for anyone moving/downsizing to anywhere that's not your typical suburb where anonymity is sometimes prized...even outside of a "doom" scenario.

I think you could even turn it around 180 degrees and use some of the techniques in a big-city apartment building (where it helps to have neighbors you know and can then trust to keep a spare set of keys or to move your car on street-cleaning days if you're not around.. help with big shopping trips, trust to look out for strange activity, stuff like that).

We kind of idolize the American myth of the 'rugged individualist' without really realizing the level of personal interdependency and trust necessary to succeed in a "less-modern" world. At least, I know that it's something I am not used to and that I need to exercise more.
Very true, one of the many things that people argue on about suburbia is the huge decline in social capital and cohesion in American towns. It is all a tradeoff though, one of the things that many Americans hold dear is right to privacy and ability to achieve on one's own, but there are advantages to both ideals. Yet again, the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

And to the Cheapskate: I have always found it very obvious yet still amazing that for all the years of trying to wane dependence of oil, save more money by conserving and convincing to use public transportation, nothing does even close to the effect that simply pricing influences.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
And to the Cheapskate: I have always found it very obvious yet still amazing that for all the years of trying to wane dependence of oil, save more money by conserving and convincing to use public transportation, nothing does even close to the effect that simply pricing influences.
Capitalism in action.

We put photovoltaic panels on our roof when it became clear that the payback was worth the cost... not just because we wanted to be "green". And as soon as the cost of a plug-in vehicle has a reasonable payback, we'll get a bigger array.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Capitalism in action.

We put photovoltaic panels on our roof when it became clear that the payback was worth the cost... not just because we wanted to be "green". And as soon as the cost of a plug-in vehicle has a reasonable payback, we'll get a bigger array.
Try explaining that to Congress.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Capitalism in action.

What is the cost of grid power ($/KWh) in Hawaii? I suspect it is higher than in mainland, hence sooner payback for you than us. I have been researching the solar technology, but have not been able to make an economic case of it for myself.

I am fortunate to be in an older neighborhood with no HOA. Most HOAs ban anything and everything on the roof. I have heard of HOAs putting severe restrictions on House-For-Sale signs, and curbside signs. Some homeowners have petitioned all the way to the governor of AZ, and won some reprieve.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In at least one state I know they overruled the dumb "no-hanging-clothes-outside" restrictions. In the winter miss the dryer I used to have .. but in the summer I like that it is it quick and FREE to dry outside!

I'd like Congress to set aside at least as much money for alt.energy development as they give away in subsidies and below-market leases to oil and gas interests. I like an even playing field as much as the next person. For the same reason I think public transit should get subsidized as much as roads/cars are.

--
My old biz. partner had some land about 3 hrs away from our area. Nice stream, bordered on National Forest, etc. There was a small crappy shack that was a magnet for local yout'. You really couldn't keep anything of value up there. It was bucolic about 30% of the time.. when the invisible dirt-bikers and people chainsawing got tired or had to go get more gas.

He finally sold when he realized the drive w/2 kids was just too far.. plus they always had school/kid commitments most weekends anyway. I shoulda bought it off him (26 acres for only around $40k) but this was 10 years ago..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Uh-oh.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Uh-oh.

Haven't found our morning staple Quaker oats at Costco for the last week or so. Looks like this is the reason: Quaker Oats to Stay in Cedar Rapids | KCRG-TV9 Cedar Rapids, Iowa | Linn County Flood Information
She tried to make me eat yogurt for breakfast today. Yeah, i know.
Can Calmloki survive on 2 meals a day?
Don't want to hear about those steel-cut oats gravel granules - tried 'em - you really need to be retired to have enough time for them to cook.
Is this the end !?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always liked Quaker Oats (the traditional kind).
I hope they get back on their feet.

You should be able to get rolled oats from a health food store if nowhere else. Or try online. For the steel-cut ones, I might try using a pressure cooker.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
In at least one state I know they overruled the dumb "no-hanging-clothes-outside" restrictions. In the winter miss the dryer I used to have .. but in the summer I like that it is it quick and FREE to dry outside!

I'd like Congress to set aside at least as much money for alt.energy development as they give away in subsidies and below-market leases to oil and gas interests. I like an even playing field as much as the next person. For the same reason I think public transit should get subsidized as much as roads/cars are.

--
Definitely agree on both of those points, many of the subsidies going to natural gas and oil could be spent on alternative energy developments or (what I support) not spent at all.

The roads/public transportation is another one I have always said. However, I am not sure, and I am sure it is different in each state, where the money comes from for the subsidies. If it is from the state gasoline tax, then it should be spent back on the roads, but if it comes out of direct state taxes, it should be spread to all of those who require transportation. Also, the subsidies for public transportation would keep some people off the road, bringing down traffic, lowering road damage and keeping gas prices for the country slightly lower. Weird incentives at play here...
Old 07-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Cook your steel cut oats overnight in a slow cooker.

Recipes : Overnight Oatmeal : Food Network

I actually found that you can cook 'em in the microwave with a few tablespoons of whole wheat grains and then just let them sit in there for 20-30 minutes, then warm them back up. Plenty tender.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think Switzerland has an even higher per capita gun ownership level than the USA, certainly one of the highest in the world, so you can probably expect that your neighbors will be armed to the teeth.
Primarily due to their military service, which is started at age 18 (can be postphoned to age 23) through age 30.

Here's the full story:

Military of Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

"I figured with a shotgun and a testy dog, I can get all the beer...and pretty much anything else...that I want!"

I read that as 'tasty' dog the first time around.

"bartender, a cold brew and a plate of beagle, please."
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Eh, close enough.

I wonder if you can brew beer from tasty dogs?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What is the cost of grid power ($/KWh) in Hawaii? I suspect it is higher than in mainland, hence sooner payback for you than us. I have been researching the solar technology, but have not been able to make an economic case of it for myself.
It's about 25 cents/KWHr-- this month.

The economic case also depends on how cheaply you can get the parts, how much labor you can do on your own, and state/federal tax subsidies. It might be less burdensome than you think, especially if you factor in 3-4% annual inflation over two decades.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Sticking with the plan.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 121 acre farm with a Cabin & wood burning stove,big garden(we can), a pond with bass& brim,many deer& other wildlife & yes we have firearms.Are we doom & gloomers? No-we like our simple life style no matter what the economy is doing.
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Shotgun went in Katrina with the house.

Dog started going over the fence to visit the females in the neighborhood - so he got fixed at age 9 last Nov. - so now he is a blimp.

I haven't seen compressed bacon bars in the backpackers section of sports stores for a while.

Heck the suburbs are hard enough - let alone doing gloom and doom.

Plus this is meat country and there is a bacon plant outside of town.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Plus this is meat country and there is a bacon plant outside of town.
Bacon growing on plants. I'm moving to your town UM!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Bacon growing on plants. I'm moving to your town UM!
LOL!