Join Early Retirement Today

DOW 25k by 12/31/2017
Old 11-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

DOW 25k by 12/31/2017

Santa rally underway.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not holding my breath.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Only another 5%
Old 11-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

That's it. I am out. I am rebalancing (and then some) tomorrow . Call me a DMT.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Lol
Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I will say that people like John Bogle have grossley underestimated stock market returns for many years now. People are just begining to realize mid single digit return forecasts have people under invested in stocks. Vanguard is rolling out managed ETFs. Who'd a thunk it.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

It's almost believable these days. That said, remember this?!

http://www.amazon.com/Dow-2008-Diffe...S0W1TGK85Q2A7Y
Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

He was only off by 10 years.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

May see 30k next year.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
That's it. I am out. I am rebalancing (and then some) tomorrow . Call me a DMT.
I have been rebalancing frequently this year waiting for the bottom to fall out but nothing so far... joke's on me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
Santa rally underway.

A dream come true! We suffered through 2008-2009 together, and now is our time to enjoy the "up side".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I remember the elation in the last months in 1999. People were celebrating the new millennium. Some were discovering the Web and its wonders. The media talked about how the Internet traffic was doubling every few months. Dot-com stocks were priced not on what profits they made, but on how many visits their Web sites got daily. They had not made any money yet, but soon, really soon ... Technology was wonderful... Fast computers, people working at home, buying grocery online and having it delivered by Webvan, HomeGrocer, etc...

Currently, it is not to the same level, but why do I have some nagging déjà vu feelings?

In the months ahead, I will watch very closely for more bubblicious signs. If not raising more cash, then I will step up the covered call selling to hedge.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Currently, it is not to the same level, but why do I have some nagging déjà vu feelings?
+1

Right now its going up up up. I think there is a ton of money banking on overseas profit repatriation, lower corporate taxes, and 3+% growth. When those don't materialize or fall short of expectations watch out below.
2017 dry run spending: 2018 accelerate debt elimination: 2019 RV procurement & 1MY begins: 6/19 DW last month: 9/19 start cross country loop: 1/20 first reinforcements arrive. 6/20 sell business or shut doors. 9/20 begin globe trot: 4/26 401K reinforcement.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will say that people like John Bogle have grossley underestimated stock market returns for many years now. People are just begining to realize mid single digit return forecasts have people under invested in stocks. Vanguard is rolling out managed ETFs. Who'd a thunk it.
People under invested? Maybe it was so in 2016 or earlier, but I am not sure it is true now.

One can search the Web using the phrase "cash on the sidelines", and just a glance over the headlines will show what is being reported.

This is a typical one that I found, back in July 2017:
According to the latest BofA flow show report, ... private client cash - i.e., high net worth individuals, or those who still allocate capital to single-stocks and ETFs on a discretionary basis (unlike the broader US public which has long ago given up on the stock market), is now at a record low, taking out the cash levels observed in the period just prior to the last market peak in 2007...
Perhaps all the "smart money" was already in, and the little guys who are late to the game are just now buying, and buying indiscriminately. The market can still go up a while, but I am getting more and more wary.

Currently at 72.3% stock AA as I am writing this...
Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
May see 30k next year.
What will be the next milestone: Over 30k, or back under 20k? That might make an interesting poll for this forum.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I remember the elation in the last months in 1999. People were celebrating the new millennium. Some were discovering the Web and its wonders. The media talked about how the Internet traffic was doubling every few months. Dot-com stocks were priced not on what profits they made, but on how many visits their Web sites got daily. They had not made any money yet, but soon, really soon ... Technology was wonderful... Fast computers, people working at home, buying grocery online and having it delivered by Webvan, HomeGrocer, etc...

In the months ahead, I will watch very closely for more bubblicious signs. If not raising more cash, then I will step up the covered call selling to hedge.
That's because most people got the start year of the new millennium wrong.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard says 70% chance of a correction. We can only hope. Not sure what Vanguards record is for calling corrections. Didn't even know they did that.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Planning on a 35 year retirement horizon so we're just staying the course with AA.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I remember the elation in the last months in 1999. People were celebrating the new millennium. Some were discovering the Web and its wonders.

Well it's a little toppy(&#129315 right now.

I remember 2000, 2008..

What's smart money do?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is this a 'wheee!!' thread?