Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If it ever does happen, I am leaning more towards the 50 year mark.
This is more than a market fluctuation. We have lost the very economic fundementals that built this country.
That sounds awfully doomish to me. And that is why people make fun of the position.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Nope. I am done here.
Cool.

ha

Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
That sounds awfully doomish to me. And that is why people make fun of the position.
Therein lies the problem. We were "made fun of" when the DOW was at 14200. And 12000. And 10000. And 8000.

Markets go up - and down. But if you post that you think its going down, you get flamed. Call it what you will, but if you're not following the herd (lemmings?) and post a counter point of view, you get flamed.

I never understood why discussion of where the market stands should prompt such responses.

As for the cliches - they're not mine, they were the ones I always received when posting the market could be due for a big correction. "Blue light special". "Tin foil hat". Not my words...I've never resorted to cliches to stake a position.

Once you've joined the herd mentality, its easy to throw out cliches in an attempt to ridicule someone who says..."wait a minute". Not that the cliche does anything to forward a rational rebuttal, but it does make many feel superior in their conviction that they are obviously correct.

Hussman, for his part, is now of the thought that if you buy-and-hold at this point that a nice long-term (10+ years) 10% return is in the offing. I hope he's right (again).

But instead of throwing cliches - and ridiculing - when the market was at the height of irrational exuberance - wouldn't you rather be starting at 7300 instead of 14200? Seems better to me to be looking at
potential upside profit at this stage instead of hoping to make back significant *real* losses.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #224
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone6 View Post
wouldn't you rather be starting at 7300 instead of 14200? Seems better to me to be looking at
potential upside profit at this stage instead of hoping to make back significant *real* losses.
There is no doubt that this is correct. And from here, it may seem that it was inevitable. But I don't think it was. Mistakes were made, policy makers got bad breaks, and it went pretty badly.

I never like to sell out completely, because I pay CG taxes, and the market may or may not go down. I'm meaningfully down over the past 18 months, and I wish I were not. However, I am not down from 2000, or 2003, and I live off my portfolio, and have done so for many years.

You are free to try to find me ridiculing anyone who predicted a bear market; I don't think you will. I have always understood that pretty much anything can happen.

But you guys are playing a safe game now. The market is down, as you may have predicted. Predict what happens next. The guy who is leaving seems to predict no recovery. I think that scenario is long shot, but I try not to make predictions as it is very easy to be wrong, and you get nothing for being right.

My opinion is like someone stated above-be careful about your bragging boys 'cause this game isn't over yet.

Ha