Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
BTW, Dow 8000?? That's pretty funny.........
DOW 8000 will never happen as long as the government manipulates the market.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
damn you Fed, damn you

my shorts were doing so well
I knew I should have bought bathroom tissue futures!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

going to have to roll over into some C or just be lazy and buy XLF for a few weeks
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #84
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
DOW 8000 will never happen as long as the government manipulates the market.

The gov will run out of help sooner than most think.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #85

Quote:
"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks rallied Tuesday afternoon as investors welcomed news that the Federal Reserve will lend up to $200 billion to banks and lenders as a means of loosening up tight credit markets."

Seeing as our country is 9 trillion in debt, where does the FED get the 200 billion to lend? Do they just print more? I really don't know how it works.
apparently they are lending treasuries that can be sold for cash and taking AAA rated paper as collateral. until now the Fed would only take real bonds as collateral. Treasuries, fannie, etc. now they are taking private mortgage bonds that are AAA rated even if they have a 40% delinquency rate. and instead of telling banks to repay in 28 days, it's now whenever you want to. supposedly BSC was close to going belly up and it scared them

one of my blogs talked about it this morning.

calculated risk or the big picture. both are good and written by finance industry pro's.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

The DOW is looking good today. I hope it can last for more than one day.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:

The market really is a big boys club these days like gambling at the high rollers tables in Vegas or Atlantic City. The little guy should not think its a safe place right now.

The people with money will always gamble even during bad patches in the economy.

It really makes no sense for the market to be up except its all about taking profits then buying then when it drops 400 points later in the week it was because the people with huge dollars bid up a stock then sold it when they made some money, back and forth.

Legal Gambling.

Truckers want to strike thousands are being foreclosed on 2 fools, 1 old fart want to be president, one still in the white house, gasoline headed toward 4 dollars a pop, Iraq, bin laden still free, food prices headed up up and away yea its all good.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I love it! At least for a day, it seems like all is well once again.

It would be wonderful if this lasted for the rest of the week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

I would rather see a slow steady rise than these big daily swings. Tomorrow the profit taking might just push it the other way. Do you look like your picture? I keep thinking that's who I am talking to.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #90

absent "a slow steady rise" i'm quite happy to take a big positive swing
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
absent "a slow steady rise" i'm quite happy to take a big positive swing
Even if it's all gone tomorrow?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would rather see a slow steady rise than these big daily swings. Tomorrow the profit taking might just push it the other way. Do you look like your picture? I keep thinking that's who I am talking to.
I am with you 150% about the slow, steady rise rather than all this volatility. I rebalanced my TSP this morning (always do on the 1st), and it will take 2 days for them to get around to it. So, I hope tomorrow's plunge isn't too deep, since I am moving 2% from international ("I fund") into government treasuries ("G Fund"). Obviously this is not so much an attempt at market timing as it is part of my grand plan, which has me 100% in G before ER.

My avatar is a German model/actress named Eva Habermann, and was one of the default avatars on the old website. It's not a photo of me! But it is a photo of what I wish I looked like.

In reality, I am almost 60, with (uncolored) gray/white unmanageable hair, blue eyes, tall, with a dumpy "59-year-old" style body. Oh, and awkward to boot, and with glasses. Constantly battling weight.

But Frank (bless his heart, he always knows what to say!) says that I look JUST like the avatar.

You, of course, always post on the forum wearing a yellow helmet and green football jersey...

Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #93

Quote:

sp500 is probably going to 1400 from here
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone know why the big jump today?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #95

Quote:
I am with you 150% about the slow, steady rise rather than all this volatility. I rebalanced my TSP this morning (always do on the 1st), and it will take 2 days for them to get around to it. So, I hope tomorrow's plunge isn't too deep, since I am moving 2% from international ("I fund") into government treasuries ("G Fund"). Obviously this is not so much an attempt at market timing as it is part of my grand plan, which has me 100% in G before ER.

My avatar is a German model/actress named Eva Habermann, and was one of the default avatars on the old website. It's not a photo of me! But it is a photo of what I wish I looked like.

In reality, I am almost 60, with (uncolored) gray/white unmanageable hair, blue eyes, tall, with a dumpy "59-year-old" style body. Oh, and awkward to boot, and with glasses. Constantly battling weight.

But Frank (bless his heart, he always knows what to say!) says that I look JUST like the avatar.

You, of course, always post on the forum wearing a yellow helmet and green football jersey...

why are you buying t-bills when the yields are so low and there is a risk of the price crashing due to increased inflation?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
why are you buying t-bills when the yields are so low and there is a risk of the price crashing due to increased inflation?
Sorry if I was misleading. I didn't phrase that correctly.

The G Fund is not t-bills, is unavailable outside the TSP, and has done well historically during periods of high inflation, such as the 1980's. In 1990, when the CPI-U was 5.4%, the G Fund return was 8.9%, for example. You can read about it here.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Supposedly "Wall Street cheered" due to the plan to further regulate the financial sector.

The real reasons? I have no idea. Maybe people are beginning to think that the subprime mess is taken care of. (fat chance! )

Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #98

Quote:

I willed it. The power of positive thinking.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #99

Quote:
Supposedly "Wall Street cheered" due to the plan to further regulate the financial sector.

The real reasons? I have no idea. Maybe people are beginning to think that the subprime mess is taken care of. (fat chance! )
the huge writedowns are making people think we are past the halfway point and the writedowns will continue but not be significant
Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #100

Quote:
Even if it's all gone tomorrow?
up is good; down is bad. yes, even if it's all gone tomorrow, a positive today is better than a negative today. what happens tomorrow is largely independent of today (though i would indeed expect some "profit taking".)
d is offline   Reply With Quote