Dow hits 13,000 for the first time...

TromboneAl said:
Went through half the online exchange procedure then, said "Nahh -- that would be market timing!"

Al, I did something similar with two major differences:

- Followed all the way through with my online exchange procedure
- Rather than try to time the market, I 'rebalanced'

...Bring on the correction! ;)

My what a bunch of party poopers.Yes I know it is pretty meaningless, but I'm happy seeing a bunch of up indicator next to my positions. Plus many of my stock raised their dividends this quarter, now that is something to celebrate. 8)

I threw some options out the window today. Scooped up some calls on one of my holdings when t he market fell apart at the end of Feb, and let them go today. Nice profit plus I still have my core position in the stock.

I got excited; went to the gym. But, I'm gonna log into Vanguard a little after 6 pm and see what my take is.... just for kicks, don't ya know. Then, I'm gonna repeat yesterday's action, and do nothing....

Actually, I'll be more interested when the S&P500 crosses 1500. Specifically 1526 which would be an all-time high for S&P500, and represent the end of a very long time "underwater".

We're getting pretty darn close.

NASDAQ crossing 5000? Gosh, that might be well past 2010.

Audrey

In hex notation, we're about to cross 32C8 on the Dow. Where were the news agencies when we crossed 3000h on the Dow? or 1111111111 binary on the S&P? I think it's a conspiracy.

:p :LOL: :p

2Cor521

Our international ETF (PID) was up over 3% and our portfolio popped over 1%.

Up 4.6% YTD. I'd sure hate to have been out of the market today...

Biggest weiners today:

VWO up 1.42%
PCRIX up 1.37%
VFINX ip 1.03%

Up 5.6% ytd...

Baby needs new shoes!

SecondCor521 said:
In hex notation, we're about to cross 32C8 on the Dow. Where were the news agencies when we crossed 3000h on the Dow? or 1111111111 binary on the S&P? I think it's a conspiracy.

:p :LOL: :p

2Cor521

Reminds me of my buddy that once bought a lottery ticket and picked the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6, to which his dad says "What are you some kind of idiot, what are the chances of that coming up?"

- John

runchman said:
Reminds me of my buddy that once bought a lottery ticket and picked the numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6, to which his dad says "What are you some kind of idiot, what are the chances of that coming up?"

- John
Hey, that's the combination to my luggage

That's a combination to my ATM card :-\ I realized how dangerous it was.

Once, I was able to crack into my ex boyfriend's hotmail account with the same combination...turned out he had impregnated his then "fling" and she had gone to abortion without his knowledge. Fuih....glad I lose that punk!

runchman said:

- John
Actually that combo happen in PA lottery, it turned out it was fixed, the ping-pong
balls had been weighted, so only the non weighted one came up in what was suppose
to a completely random drawing. If the crooks had only pick a more random number
they would have got away with it, but almost everybody was saying that exact same
thing, "what are the chances...", so they investigated and rest is history.
TJ

teejayevans said:
"what are the chances...", so they investigated and rest is history.
Well, the thing is, the chances are exactly the same as for any other numeric combination!!! Why don't people understand that?

Audrey

Human nature. If people see a coincidence, many will insist there must be some conspiracy, or cause to it.
I love the stories though:)

Biggest winners as of open today (13100): Open/2006 Close

JSD.V 1.934
MCF.V 1.317
AEN.TO 1.247
ACH 1.240
CA 1.226
AMOV 1.207
AMX 1.205
AAPL 1.197
HTE-UN.TO 1.155
TNC.V 1.133
TIH.TO 1.110
CLL.TO 1.106
using Yahoo symbols. 8)

runchman said:

- John

My Grampa used to go to the town (rural) dump every day to check out the pickin's and talk to the dump-master. He found a Sesame combination lock that was locked. He spent tens of hours trying to open it, guessing what the combo was. Things like 1963 for the Kennedy assasination and 1066 for the invasion in England. Never could get it to open. Finally, he gave it to my brother to try saying that if he got it to open he could have it. My brother figgered that there could only be 10,000 combinations so he would try them all. Starting at 0000. Click, it popped open. Boy was my grandfather pissed.

Mike D.

MikeD said:
He spent tens of hours trying to open it, guessing what the combo was.

hmmmm seems that it would have taken him less time, even if he had started at 9999 and worked his way down, then 10 hours. Just an observation.

Cramer says 14000 this year. So its as good as gold! ::)

I note everyone's talking about 13000, their returns, etc. Makes me want to go to cash.

SoonToRetire said:
I note everyone's talking about 13000, their returns, etc. Makes me want to go to cash.

It doesn't scare me when people on this board start talking about the market, I figure the investment IQ of this board is way above average.

But last night at a poker game, the market got talked about. When the dealer/host, not the sharpest financial guy around, "you got have your money in the stock market no way it is going down for a long time," I got truely terrified.

audreyh1 said:
Well, the thing is, the chances are exactly the same as for any other numeric combination!!! Why don't people understand that?

Audrey

Because people are thinking that they were picked IN ORDER.. which IS a much higher percentage.... now, nobody said they were picked in that exact order so you are right it is the same...

Let me give you another one that I get a lot of people with and some very smart ones...

You flip a 'fair' coin 50 times and get 50 heads... you are about to flip it the 51st time... what would you bet, heads or tails:confused: I almost always get 'tails'... I ask why... "Do you know the odds of flipping a coin heads 51 times:confused:"... well, not exactly, but who cares.. I am going to flip it once... no matter how much logic you use.. they insist tails is the better odds..

the chances are exactly the same as for any other numeric combination!!! Why don't people understand that?

The lottery is a tax on the mathematically challenged.

Texas Proud said:
You flip a 'fair' coin 50 times and get 50 heads... you are about to flip it the 51st time... what would you bet, heads or tails:confused: I almost always get 'tails'... I ask why... "Do you know the odds of flipping a coin heads 51 times:confused:"... well, not exactly, but who cares.. I am going to flip it once... no matter how much logic you use.. they insist tails is the better odds..
My comment is that a coin doesn't remember if it came up heads or tails last time. However, people do and bet accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom