DOW - January as an indicator

January as an indicator is up there with skirt lengths and football winners, but it sure hasn't been any fun!

My personal indicator of the day is watch size. Some of you may know that watches have grown ever larger and more expensive all through this last growth phase, until at the peak of the Dow they peaked at the size of personal pan pizzas. Even Patek Philippe started enlarging some of their most classic designs.

Mark my words, when watch sizes start to drop, the bottom will be in, and it will be time to buy, buy, buy! :)

Because as soon as you surrender and put it all in CDs, we could hit bottom and another 1982-1999 could be upon us.
That sounds good to me. Dawg, you're our buddy aren't you? Just give us a little heads up before you head down to the bank to buy all those CDs, so we can make our moves. Ziggy took one for the team with USO and we all love him for it. I still owe you a beer Ziggy - will be traveling through the Hill Country again at the end of February.

BTW, I took over Ziggy's duties on USO. Of course I bought it at $30... I figure how can you go wrong contributing to USO. :)

My personal indicator of the day is watch size. Some of you may know that watches have grown ever larger and more expensive all through this last growth phase, until at the peak of the Dow they peaked at the size of personal pan pizzas. Even Patek Philippe started enlarging some of their most classic designs.

Mark my words, when watch sizes start to drop, the bottom will be in, and it will be time to buy, buy, buy! :)

I just bought a bigger watch a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, my portfolio size hasn't kept up with my watch size. :)

I never wear a watch anymore. Since I have a cell phone with me at all times, why do I need a watch? Heresy or LBYM?

Looks like another crappy year.:banghead: Someone tell me again why an all cd portfolio is not a good thing.:blink:

It just does not have the sheer entertainment value of:

Drum roll please - psssst Wellesley!

:D :whistle: :greetings10:

Ya can't just golf all the time. And football season is almost over. And besides I just like saying pssst Welelsey even though I have Target 2015.

Keep an eye on those Saint's next season - just you wait.

heh heh heh - :angel:

Dawg an all cd portfolio is great! Just make sure ya get enuff of them.:cool:

True. And I would have, 18 months ago.:banghead: And no, I can't play golf all the time. Got to make time for eating and sleep.

img_778641_0_18dbf13f1cc94e7f901271445d7e8366.jpg

I never wear a watch anymore. Since I have a cell phone with me at all times, why do I need a watch? Heresy or LBYM?

phew - I'm not alone - I'm the same way - only use my cell phone, not carried a watch for years.

But we might also be in that 1968-1982 period. Anyone with a crystal ball on here?:hide:

I don't for sure. But I was investing during that period, and there were plenty opportunities to make money. Not easy "buy anything and they will make it go higher" opportunities, but good ones nonetheless.

Ha

I don't for sure. But I was investing during that period, and there were plenty opportunities to make money. Not easy "buy anything and they will make it go higher" opportunities, but good ones nonetheless.
Well, Warren Buffett sure did pretty well then.

A flat to down market isn't too good for indexers, but for a good value-oriented stock picker, those are fertile hunting grounds for good businesses at depressed prices.

A flat to down market isn't too good for indexers, but for a good value-oriented stock picker, those are fertile hunting grounds for good businesses at depressed prices.

As a lazy indexer, this can only mean that I'm now going to have to work at getting a good return. Dang! :banghead:

Dawg an all cd portfolio is great! Just make sure ya get enuff of them.:cool:

Groucho Marx, the famous comedian who purportedly once toured the New York Stock Exchange and held court with the floor traders after the closing bell. Knowing that Groucho was wealthy, one trader yelled out, "Hey Groucho, where do you invest your money?" "I keep my money in Treasury bonds," is what the leader of the Marx brothers reportedly replied. "They don't make you much money," a trader shouted back. "They do," Groucho said drolly, "if you have enough of them."

Groucho Marx, the famous comedian who purportedly once toured the New York Stock Exchange and held court with the floor traders after the closing bell. Knowing that Groucho was wealthy, one trader yelled out, "Hey Groucho, where do you invest your money?" "I keep my money in Treasury bonds," is what the leader of the Marx brothers reportedly replied. "They don't make you much money," a trader shouted back. "They do," Groucho said drolly, "if you have enough of them."

Your story must have happened after the 1929 crash as Groucho Marx was heavily invested in margin during the 1929 crash and was wiped out along with many others. It was only his talent (and maybe Treasuries) that allowed him to regain his wealth in later years.

"1929 should have been a wonderful year for Groucho. He and his brothers had completed their first film, "The Cocoanuts," a filmed version of their stage show. However, two cataclysmic events occurred that year. In a personal tragedy, Groucho's mother, Minnie, died after suffering a severe stroke. Also in 1929, Groucho and his brothers lost virtually everything in the stock market crash that signalled the beginning of the Great Depression."

Source: “Marx Brothers biography You bet your life”

http://www.clown-ministry.com/index...rx_biography_marx_brothers_you_bet_your_life/

Last edited:
Your story must have happened after the 1929 crash as Groucho Marx was heavily invested in margin during the 1929 crash and was wiped out along with many others. It was only his talent (and maybe Treasuries) that allowed him to regain his wealth in later years.

"1929 should have been a wonderful year for Groucho. He and his brothers had completed their first film, "The Cocoanuts," a filmed version of their stage show. However, two cataclysmic events occurred that year. In a personal tragedy, Groucho's mother, Minnie, died after suffering a severe stroke. Also in 1929, Groucho and his brothers lost virtually everything in the stock market crash that signalled the beginning of the Great Depression."

Source: “Marx Brothers biography You bet your life”

Groucho Marx biography | Marx Brothers | you bet your life! | clown ministry | History | Marx Brothers

Dang Bikerdude, this is amazing! The Groucho quote about treasuries is pretty widely quoted. Now we know the rest of the story;)

Does one have to be a value oriented stock picker or would a value fund work just as well?

Back
Top Bottom