Dow to drop over 4000 pts and other news at 11PM

[FONT=&quot]Ah… Black Monday, October 19, 1987. I was on a cross country flight, and the pilot announced the market crash.. I cheered… My investment discussion group had decided Friday morning to sell everything…[/FONT]

I am sure there will be a 22% fall. And a 50%fall. Someday.

As long as my dividends keep coming, it is OK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

If I understand correctly that would be a good time to convert more traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs without going into a higher tax bracket. I have already been converting for the last few years but it is something I need to do more of soon before I reach 70.5.

Cheers!

MarketWatch is WORLD FAMOUS for constantly and repeatedly posting predictions of a stock market crash. Ask yourself if everyone knows that Janet Yellen is probably going to raise rates soon then why did stocks recently hit a new record high?

Oct 10, 2014: "Investor who predicted the subprime crisis says stocks will fall 10%-plus"

Dec 2, 2014 "Stock-Market Correction Eminent"

Jan 15, 2015: "Wall St. braces for shock waves from Swiss move"

Feb 23, 2015: "10 reasons U.S. stocks may see a 10%-20% correction by July"

March 25, 2015: "Stocks are overvalued and headed for trouble: analyst"

March 31, 2015: "Best time to sell stocks and go away starts tomorrow"

"Avoid weekend thinking and ignore the latest dire predictions of newscasters." -- Peter Lynch

The correction has started early for me. I am down 16% since peak in Nov due to my bet on oil & gas. Even pipelines are down, for no good reason AFAIK. Dividends are holding--for now. I may have to go back to w*rk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

... Have your Exit Strategy planned if it gets really nasty...

I would like to follow your suggestion. But, I'm not sure what your idea of "really nasty" is. I'd also like hear more about your "Exit Strategy".

4000 points? Is that all? Piece o' cake. (yawn!)

2008-2009 was a great training exercise for us and after dealing with that crash and coming out of it nicely (as many of us did), such a drop would seem like child's play.

1987 mentioned in article. After that little drop I violated my stay the course rule 60/40 and went 100% stock in my 401k for several years which really boosted my progress toward ER.

heh heh heh - ;) :cool:

"Keep your powder dry. Have your Exit Strategy planned if it gets really nasty. But relying on MarketWatch for anything more than their daily charts is not a good thing."

I'm not going to have to explain Exit Strategy at this stage of the Bull Market, am I ??
It's up to the individual investor to set their threshold as it concerns "nasty" vs "really nasty". I had a mental Stop-Loss percentage on my 401K in 2000 that saved my bacon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom