Dow up 400+ Talk about crazy days.

Still plenty of room to run. Patience, grasshopper.

The Dow is up 400+?

Wh....
Wh....
Wh...
Wh..y, that is wonderful! :angel:

:dance:

My (habitually malfunctioning) crystal ball says that it will be down tomorrow.

W2R, you could just pass the hat/paypal account instead of teasing us.

It is getting too rich for my blood. All indications point to start raising cash and locking in some profits.

Rebalancing anybody?

I agree, and have been doing such for a while...but then again I am one of those dirty market timers who is perfectly OK sitting in cash for long periods of time, and then trading aggressively when opportunity arrives....(There, I admitted it)

Sweet. I had a med(or 2) after my golf today, may have to celebrate another good stock marker day by having another. That's the nice thing about med's, good for drowning your sorrows and good when rejoicing.:) Life is good.

The Dow is up 400+?

My (habitually malfunctioning) crystal ball says that it will be down tomorrow.

It was already down over 60 points to 340 before the market closed...

Sweet. I had a med(or 2) after my golf today, may have to celebrate another good stock marker day by having another. That's the nice thing about med's, good for drowning your sorrows and good when rejoicing.:) Life is good.

I thought you had everything in CD's?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Another day of market volatility, just to the upside is all, no reason to get excited.

Well, I did my one market timing exercise and got out unscathed. At the bottom in early August (I think it was 8/8) we were speculating around here that things would pop back up. I moved $170K from a bond fund into equities with the plan to pull them back (get back to my planned AA) when we got back to Dow 12000. My trade is in to execute tonight returning it back to bonds. That move will finance our trip to Africa in February. I have no guess where things will go from here. If we go up another 10% or so over the next months I will probably load up a bit more in bonds. If we drop 10%, who knows -- depends whether it looks like another 2008 as the Euro zone implodes or just like jitters. Not that I could really tell the difference. :)

It's crazy - - unemployment is out of sight, people are rioting all over the world, national debts are spiraling upwards, economies are said to be teetering on the brink of collapse, and yet the S&P 500 Extends Best Month Since ’74, Euro Rises

Sounds good about the S&P but take a look what it did in the last 5 months, in the toilet. At some point it has to make an upward move. I still have a long way to go after the last 5 months of getting killed.

Interesting, but not anything to get excited about:

Again, it's one of those buy on the rumor, sell on the facts kind of days. When a workable solution is in place for Europe, then I'll get excited. Till then, it's just fluff (and I never trade on fluff)...

This is what I was thinking also. I did take some profits off the table today as it is a play that is very volatile so I ride it up and buy it back down. Nothing that is going to change my day though. I guess it just makes me feel like I am actually cashing in on some gains.

It can go up or down but until I take $$ off the table it really doesn't matter. Of course I am finding I don't like buying when things are more expensive than the last time I purchased.

JDARNELL

Well, I just saw this ignorance demonstrated on Cash Cab. The question was, "Named after the Senator who proposed it, what saving plan provides tax free withdrawals after retirement?" The guys in the cab didn't know and the street shout out came up with Wellstone as the answer. :)

I think what's really important here is that the Saint's came back and stomped poor Indy after the Tampa Bay fiasco.

And yes I'm still pretty much full auto in Target Retirement(aka balanced index fund).

In both cases did I stay the course and not watch or get all emotional? Well not exactly. So I peeked but I stayed the course.

heh heh heh - Geaux Saint's. Full auto hurry up just stand there.

:angel: 9 individual stocks(ex DRIP Plans) left - for the hormones in case football fails me. :rolleyes:

It's crazy - - unemployment is out of sight, people are rioting all over the world, national debts are spiraling upwards, economies are said to be teetering on the brink of collapse, and yet the S&P 500 Extends Best Month Since ’74, Euro Rises

While all this is true, and more, and consumer sentiment is below 50 (47?), 3Q corporate profits are reasonably good, and outlooks are stable. 3Q GDP growth wasn't great at 2.5%, but much better than last quarter. And, if by default, every quarter further away from this mess we get, the closer we'll be to reducing the excess housing inventory. Along this same line, the average age of our auto fleet is increasing, and those cars will need to be replaced. Not to mention a brazillion dollars on corporate balance sheets.

I'm still 45% bonds, 35% stocks, 10% cash, and 5% each in a REIT and a commodities fund. And with all the volatility of late, my 25% rebalance bands have only been triggered once, so no shuffling since late spring. Coincidentally, I'm about 5% down from the all-time high, with a standard deviation approching infinity... :p

I rebalanced in May. The mkt never did go down enough for me to rebalance again....

I reckon I'll wait it out.

In the meantime it is nice to see the portfolio grow...:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom